I haven't been to the great conceptart forum for many a month now, since moving to and starting work in London. This has resulted in many of my personal projects being put on hold. But I am wanting to get back into the swing of things, starting with finally giving my screenplay 'Sentient', which I completed last year, a proper push.
Being a designer by trade, I figured the obvious way to do this would be to visualise the general concept of the story (what better a way to give people the 'atmosphere' to the screenplay, other than filming the thing?). This started with an initial proposal for a poster, and then some imagery to capture key scenes. The poster was intentionally kept quite simple and dark.
Since I'd been teaching myself Flash at the time, I decided the next step would be to conceptualise a short movie trailer. So, using some self-animated elements (the walking man), some concept artwork, and a few select clips from feature films, I constructed a movie trailer (link below).
The final step was deciding on how to present the trailer. The obvious solution to me was to create a Flash mini-site around it, that would sell the overall theme and feel to the screenplay. So, I decided to make what is basically a 'living' version of the initial poster above.
So, here it is (link below). This mini-site contains all of the artwork I created for the screenplay, the 'living poster' (which forms the 'home' section of the site), the trailer, and a short synopsis of the overall story.
Very cool story, its obvious you read a lot of thrillers. In fact the wording on the story desriptions sounds like any of the last 10 books that I have listened too on my iPod. Thats a good thing, but I don't think you are giving away enough of the hook. This big discory that will become a weapon when it falls into the wrong hands has been done so many times. What makes your script different. Again I am really intrigued but I would need to know something about the hook.
The Flash site is cool for a "My First Flash Project®" and the animation (done in After Effects I'm guessing) was very cool. Layoff the cinepak compression a little in the edited part. I would rather have the choice between high_res and low versus seeing the lowest common denominator.
The intro needs a few more images to make it compelling or people are just going to skip it. I thought that was the strongest sell. The letter to Julia. Makes it personal.
Anyway, very cool stuff and I'm sure you will do well with this project. It looks pretty damn cool. Hit me up if you need Flash help or just someone to bounce design ideas off of - this is exactly the kind of story I like : )
Thanks for the comments guys. Regarding the story itself, it's difficult to try and give a taster as to the content, without giving too much away. I was hoping to give an overall 'feel' as to the atmosphere/mood of the piece with the website/trailer, which could hopefully gain interest in the screenplay. Don't know if it was successful though? When writing the synopsis, you want to entice, but not spoil anything plot-wise. It's a tricky balance to get right - I'm not sure I've got it yet! Additionally, it's very hard to summarise a full length screenplay in just a few short paragraphs - no easy task
Everything in the site was done in Flash - the trailer is entirely Flash animation (except for the flv movie clips near the end). Photoshop was the partner app for creating the concept imagery and animation asssets. I wanted to see if it was possible to do something that looked like a video trailer, but is in fact just Flash. Thanks for the offer of help se7en - I might just take you up on that.
The site is actually created at 24fps, and runs smoothly on my G5. Because I used Flash 8 (which the site definitely requires to be viewed properly) I have leant heavily on the use of effects such as glow, etc. This means that the site sucks a hell of a lot of processor power from your machine when running (even once the site has loaded, there is always some activity in the background, requiring processor activity). The advantage of using these effects means it helps keep the site quite small (5-ish MB, instead of what could have been 15MB+).