Ew. Looks like there is some severe weather coming through town this evening, with some possibility of tornadoes, especially just after midnight. Nobody stay out too late. I'm still going to try and brave the rain for the boozer doodle. I'll just have to make sure I don't work in watercolors.
That was awesome.
Boozer Doodle, as MD says, was really awesome. The lady running it told me that pictures would be posted to their flickr account soon, so I'll keep an eye on that and pass along the link once they're online.
It was really unique being able to draw a model in such wacky costuming. Normal figure drawing classes get pretty boring drawing full nudes all the time <-- god does typing that automatically make me old? It was also nice escaping from the "F"ine "A"rt attitude that old, nasty, fat people are such exquisite models to draw from. Um, I'll take the extremely attractive Dames Aflame over the warty geriatrics, thanks. Hot burlesque models just gel with concept art better, IMO.
I hit my skill peak about 10pm, I think. After that, I was having trouble seeing the model through an alcoholic haze. So, I just started drawing stuff out of my head, and looking up occasionally in the off chance I could get both eyes to look in the same direction at once.
They ran 2 or 3 sketch competitions, and even offered some prizes to the winners. Thanks to MD and her friend Tyler for cheering on my effort when I got picked as a guinea pig.
Tots were good. I have no idea how many of them I ate. I think they were breeding in my styrofoam bowl. Come to think of it, I think there was some coitus going on between my beers, as well. I couldn't have found my way to the bar that often.
artifex, md—> awesome! wow... sounds very very cool
minigoers—> "i dropped the tot" ... i hope yall had fun
1. Leaving Office for lunchbreak, approximately 1:15 pm —> difficulty locating pryor st. drove around maybe 30-35 minutes trying to locate
2. up entering, waiting in line, and speaking motor vehicles Rep., realized that i needed more cash, and that debit/credit cards were not accepted, contrary to the website's information.
3. Determined how much money i needed, hiked to the underground atlanta information kiosk to ask about atm locations, went to nearest wachovia atm, and came back. Walked back to fulton county government center, got in line.
4. Waited in line, almost paid, but was without proof of current residence. Called both phone co. and landlord repeatedly, couldn't get through.
5. Walked outside: CAR GONE
6. went to sheriff's office to obtain information / tow release.
7. waited 40 minutes?
8. Got release, began walking towards A1 tow company. (3.19 miles)
9. arrived... realized that i'd lost my auto release form from the sheriff's office.
10. Calls: I get the fax number for A1 tow company and call the sheriff's office. The sheriff's office can not fax this form, it's against sop. Fortunately the sheriff's office in Fulton court building is open 24 hours, as is A1. I get a list of cab companies from the attendant, make a call to checker cab company and go outside to wait for another 20 minutes for the cab to arrive. I actually backtracked a good bit of my path but the form was nowhere to be found.
11. cab arrives we travel back to court house. fare =$11
12. i get the new form from the sheriff's office, walk back downstairs, eat dinner (already 6:30pm by this point), and call the cab back. wait 20 minutes or so and then the cab arrives, where we travel back to A1. fare = $11
13. Release fee for my car is $105!
14. getting to my car in the impound lot, there is a ticket on the windshield, due within 7 days, for an additional $25
15. get home at 8, too worn / stressed out to come to the mini.
16. today the adventure begins all over again. yay!
Last edited by guggemmaneuver; April 4th, 2007 at 02:29 PM.
Satan's unholy nuts, Joel! Which god's graven image did you defile yesterday to earn a day like that?!
Joel. You need some art therapy after that. Like maybe a hot chick in pasties making eyes at you while you draw her. Boozer Doodle, next month, lets raid that joint CATL style!
I got one for you:
Back when I was still with my long-distance guy, I flew down to FL see him after 4 months apart. Advised against parking at the airport due to construction, I parked at the Marta station close to cabbage town and took Marta to the airport. Upon my return to Atlanta in the evening, I discover Marta stops at sundown o'clock. So I take a cab to the marta station to retrieve my car. It is now about 10 or 11 pm.
I leave. My keys. In the cab.
My cell phone has less than negative battery power.
I don't know any phone numbers and have limited payphone change.
There are bored vagrants staring at me, and a young man beating his girlfriend.
After a lot of greif I did get home, but there were pitiful tears and cops rolling eyes and an unhappy, expensive emergency lock out dude involved.
I wrote about it in my sketchbook to try to convince myself it was some sort of creative, character-building adventure.
Well, for starters, I'd like to thank Wes for his "hungry eyes" rundown of the BD evening. Although, Monet's brief commentary pretty much summed up what I felt I missed out on, Wes' consistent use of "sexual reference" clearly spells out what he got out of the experience.
Note to self: Substitute Wes' regular beer-drinking blend with the hi-test, gold label brands of some former-Soviet territory...It's time to get on the sauce...
Last night = no tots for the rest of the gang.
Guggenparkingtickets: Can't wait for the movie version to come out...
[+] AD - I hope the BD next month is a step up and not a step back...
k... the quest today went much smoother, i got license in hand, THANGZ are good in the title-hood...
mancesdonut—> that's much scarier than my episode yesterday...i've been nearly stuck in nasty parts of town because of train-runtimes before... no gooda. and with no cell phone battery what can you do?!?! walk, run, get the hell out of there i guess is about the best option, right?
all—> Whatever you do, around dragon con time, don't ask me about parking downtown... because i'll run off flailing and screaming, tearing assunder. Just tell people i'm dancing "the dragon"
with tot-gnashing teeth,
I just wanted to quickly address some artistic direction issues we've been having collectively:
1) No more Stephen Baldwin Thunderdomes...I don't care how well it's pitched from meeting to meeting...No more Steampunk Stephen Baldwin, Stephen Baldwin on Ice, Stephen Baldwin in the Land of Eternal Night, Stephen Baldwin Overpowering Alec Baldwin on a Train, etc...
2) Someone mentioned a rejection of cape wearing. As 5/8ths of our core group are cape wearers, I think we're pressing our luck with an outright ban...However, I do support the cape and glove clause...That's just too Howard Hughes for our public gatherings...
3) And, lastly, the Mouse-Click Ideology...I know from meeting with a few of you individually (and for the sake of anonymity I won't be revealing any names) that the pressure to put aside WACOM tablets and return to a solely mouse-driven digital creation process has gotten out of hand. I can understand the edgy allure of creating in a two-button fashion, but please don't brow beat those of us who have decided to hang on to the stylus...
Oh, and since I just got a text to discuss this: Trevor, I know it's cliché, but milk really was a bad choice...
[+] AD - keeping CATL lean, mean, and on the scene...
Last edited by AnalogDoll; April 5th, 2007 at 10:42 PM.
As a wearer of two overlaying capes, I have to say a ban of such would severly alter my ability to make public appearances, and as such I am against any such action.
Come Sunday I am making my way to the ATL, and it'll be for a few days. Peter is having a show in Augusta come the 11th so I'm staying in ATL until then and at that point I'm riding over to Augusta with his woman. Seeing as the 11th is on Wednesday, if there is a meeting Tuesday, I'll be there.
I guess I'll mention that I've started two more paintings...though I've not finished anything, but...you know.
Adoll—> Thanks for stepping out on a limb and getting these fundamental and core / crucial philosophical issues out in the open for us. oh come on... one more stephen baldwin thunderdome topic.
HHH—> DOOOOOD! GREAT NEWS!!! See ya on tuesday night then. if you need rides / etc. please call or text! retep show in disgusta eh??? man i bet he's got some sexy art lined up for that 'un.
CINQUO DE SKETCHO EL DOS IN ONE MONTH!!!that is all for now ... more info to come very soon.
MOTHERS HIDE YOUR SKETCHBOOKS!!!
MARKERS MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!
"it's just like mexican menu roulette
only without the ambiguity or the possibility of queso"
Last edited by guggemmaneuver; April 6th, 2007 at 01:09 AM.
ethax, fae—> heh. no explanations necessary, actually . we'll get some CATL OCD going next week, no worries . There's a big client bringing work to us today and since it's my on call weekend i should probably stay in for lunch to do damage control to ensure that my responsibilities this weekend are minimized.
All—> hahaha everyone at work was laughing at me this morning because my shirt and pants are both super wrinkled. Literally, laughing in my face. eh dang laundry. glad i could be a source of amusement 8).
wow! conceptart.org people have been bombin the hell out of my sketchbook, special treat!
Last edited by guggemmaneuver; April 6th, 2007 at 12:03 PM.
I don't iron. I can relate.
Life is too short for ironing or drying dishes.
I don't blowdry either! Check it out guys, two totally low-maintanance girls. Just don't mind me while I comb my eyelashes...
Man, this has been one hell of a week.
Couldn't have made the boozer doodlin' anyway regardless of tickets; got an "emergency" call on the way down from my friend's panicky girlfriend. Apparently "your friend's been in a car accident and is in the hospital" translated into crazy bitch speak is "your friend hit a parked car with a bike and is in the hospital getting a cast put on his broken leg."
After a two hour drive in traffic I spent all of five minutes in Marietta dropping some shit off, only to have her call me back with that bit of news when I was about 20 minutes outside of Athens. I spent the night sketching and getting drunk. I do not think it was wasted.
The chances of me making an appearance next week have gone up significantly due to an errant bit of acrylic paint flying into my contacts this morning, forcing me to go to my spares. I'm off Tuesday, and I have an optometrist appointment back home. So I figure, since I'm in town, why not?
Edit: Also, congrats Joel! Site's lookin' great. Here's to your continued success!
Many congratulations, Joel. You're entrepreneurmanship never ceases to amaze me.
Fae: I totally laughed out loud at the "I don't flush the toilet" comment. In addition to not blow drying my hair, I don't go shopping, I don't want to talk about my feelings, I hate babies, I try to use inappropriate expletives in the company of children, and can out-belch any of you dudes any day.
Man, gurls are so gross.
I've had my cootie shot, as well as for tetanus and the flu.
Do your worst.
he he he, the chaos and torment that our cooties will unleash is yet unknown to the feeble scientific world of men. You will cower in fear and wimper like a sniveling child, your mind will implode under the crushing and unrelenting torment of your terror, you will know no other existance outside of your pain. All that, and you will get that weird itchy sensation between your shoulder blades that you can't scratch by yourself. THAT, my friend, is what you have to look forward to. Do your worst, indeed.
"Why not bring in a live cow with a sweet ass pair of goggles?"
grack, lavhoes—> Thanks guys!!! Consider contributing for Summer Rice!!!
MD, LAVHOES I NEED YOUR ART FOR catlsketchgroup.org! I will beat the art out of you if you don't provide it willingly
all—> just got some thoughts about the CATL table from The E:
I was speaking to my older brother, Chris (Professional D-Conner extraordinaire and idea man), and he suggested creating some cds based on the website but with a mix of bios, contact information, and samples of and from each artist. I would assume you might want to do something similar with "Rice", as well. And I was thinking about what we were discussing the other day about the masks or something CATL for everyone. Why not bring in a live cow with a sweet ass pair of goggles? Just a suggestion. A bit over the top but oh so aggressive.
my thoughts... hahaha some costume type elements would be cool as hell... i'll be watching ebay...Maybe go junk shopping, etc. the site needs a little tweaking rework anyways and i'm going to be dropping an events and special ALIENOVONEILA section onto/into it. The short speak for that being officially "Alien-O" as 5t31n3r so brilliantly coined
Oh no anything but that! That's worse than having an eyelash under your eyelid you can't reach!
Oh except my PC class, Playa, has a natural +10 defense to cooties, so there's not gonna be any itching for me. Oh well!
quiet quiet quiet... well i'll break the silence...
Lavhoes—> how's figure painting going? i just finished my first one... and am feeling pretty good about it, strangely enough. Did your video project turn out ok for the class? figure painting is great fun, i'm starting to really enjoy it if nothing else. it's changing the way that i use color too. update probably tomorrow if i can snap a pic or two in the am.
Ethax—> Sir Richard Bishop/ john fahey style guitarist Jack Rose is playing the DU tomorrow night... should be pretty sweet if you are down. i'll be there.
Would anyone else be down for another 1 week/1 sketchbook challenge? Begin at tuesday's mini and complete by end of next tuesday's mini. i need to seize the moment right now and would love to have some company. Before you ask, yes... i do have other projects that i need to address but need to honestly just burn through some pages in an awful way... life studies portraits, imagination, anything...i need need need to mix things up to fuel the adrenaline crazed art-junkie fix... esp. with tax season and anxiously awaiting news and poos from the dragon's ass.
Last edited by guggemmaneuver; April 9th, 2007 at 09:53 AM.