Challenges of the week give artists the opportunity to create new and fantastic art based on a weekly theme set by the challenge moderators. They are also a great place to develop core skills.
Being featured on ConceptArt.org can get your artwork viewed by millions of artists a month including big industry leaders.
|Color and Light||1.1||Do Assignment|
|Color and Light||1.2||Do Assignment||1.3 | 1.4|
|Illusion of Space and Atmosphere||1||Do Assignment|
|Personal Art||1.1||Do Assignment|
Welcome to our sketchbook folks. Hope to see it getting filled up soon!
Nick: Here is the text from the challenge page so we don't need to skip back and forth.
This will be a one-month contest. It will run alongside the regular chows, so if you aren't interested in participating, you don't have to feel left out of the regular activity, and if you'd like to do both, you have plenty of time.
Here's how this is how it's going to run:
-Teams will consist of 2-4 people. How this works is up to you, and how many people you want to work with. You may not play by yourself, you must at least have a partner. If there is a group of 5-6 people that wish to participate together, you may PM me with why you want such a large group and I may let it pass.
If I happen to miss your team in the thread, just send either me or Poshspice a gentle PM and we will correct the error.
* You will get FOUR TO EIGHT CHARACTERS that your team must design. The characters will have a genre or time period associated with them.
* You will have to work together to come up with an over-all design, theme, genre and time period for the project. You may start on this now. But you will not know the exact characters you have to create until next week.
* If you participated last time, you may choose either to stay with your team or create a new one. If you stay with your team you do not have to stick with the same world/genre/period, but you are free to if you'd like!
This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.
ConceptArt.Org is going to be running game design activities and it is our hope that some of these characters could really inspire people doing activities on the other parts of the site too! Fuel for their fire so to speak. :]
Also, Jason has allowed me to offer you some fabulous prizes!
The winning team will get four downloads of their choice each and a pass to an upcoming live streaming course right here on conceptart.org!
Also, individuals within teams are also up for a prize! These will be given for leadership, and for extra effort in making great characters. This prize will consist of four downloads and the pass to attend ca live streaming event.
On to the nitty-gritty:
Here are the rules!
1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!
PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.
Gender: Male / Female
Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)
Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)
Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)
First Mood board ever from me.
Not sure if copyright is an issue since I just plucked images from sites on the net. Since they are inspiration only, I guess it is okay. Let me know if not and I will have it removed.
Great stuff, Scott.
Thanks for that. Some super inspriation in that collection. I've never done a 'mood board' either, and haven't had a chance to tackle one this time round yet either.
We've been discussing afew ideas via email between us and are toying with a combination of playing cards and the elements, set in a world where everything is decided by the toss of a coin. Totally amorphous at the moment and in need of a ton of refining, but it was Scott who lobbed in the seed of the elemets idea, and is waiting for a visual starting point to bounce back from me. I've cobbled together a crude card base in Drawplus and dragged it into Sketchbook Pro to begin sketching some figurework into it. Very quick and undeveloped but just to show something going on.
Going with the element fire, here is a first passing shot. Loads more to add and to resolve, but at least it's a start.
The characters are supposed to be shown full length as I understand it, but I have a solution for that that I haven't had time to show yet. I'll get to it Zim, and soon I promise.
I'll also get some inspirational images together to help motivate our progress as well.
And a few Dulac images - a guy whose works (the earlier ones before he went kind of orientalist after marrying) always inspire me - and some iconic gambling motifs. Maybe not directly relevant but might help us springboard some more ideas.
Same apology as given with Scott's upload. Any copyright issues pointed out to me, and I'll take it down asap. Only here to make us think.
Very nice Nick! Good to see the ball is rolling now. Though I like the card remember we can't break the 3/4 rule for all Chows so we need to show more body.
This is the pic Daestwen gave us all as a size reference, (great painting too!)
Last edited by zimfin; August 12th, 2009 at 02:01 AM.
Okay, here is a reasonably quick sketch of my good "Earth" element, rock guy. Since we are not certain how to make this card look yet, I am just focusing on the figure for now.
Is it just me or is my pic really crap? Had a look at some of the other work going on and now I am looking at mine again, it seems.....crap! Static....boring....damn it! Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Although in the very early stages this is getting closer to where I want to be with this. Probably need to extend the canvas to fit the forming weapon before I do any more to this!
Hmm, been very quiet. You still there Nick? I can't get hold of you in the emails.
Okay, extended my canvas and started working on textures and details. Long way to go and I still need to get started on the Evil version! Phew. Got some days off coming up though.