Welcome to the Fine Shankables sketchbook
Members: MoHog, Stevo.H
We have so far decided on the cyberpunk style, and will be posting inspiration soon. The real work will start in the next week...
This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.
ConceptArt.Org is going to be running game design activities and it is our hope that some of these characters could really inspire people doing activities on the other parts of the site too! Fuel for their fire so to speak. :]
Also, Jason has allowed me to offer you some fabulous prizes!
The winning team will get four downloads of their choice each and a pass to an upcoming live streaming course right here on conceptart.org!
Also, individuals within teams are also up for a prize! These will be given for leadership, and for extra effort in making great characters. This prize will consist of four downloads and the pass to attend ca live streaming event.
On to the nitty-gritty:
Here are the rules!
1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!
PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.
Gender: Male / Female
Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)
Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)
Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)
YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!
Okay, NOW GO!
The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.
1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.
Hmmm ok this is interesting, and might be fun as long as i don't get killed 2night
ok we'll be posting a pool of ideas to get the juices flowing.
First up elves; going for the more bestial look here, can see how closely they are linked to nature with the nobly bark growths. Thinking that the evil version could be one that has gone to far over the brink and has lost their morality etc.
good stuff, i am struggling to draw anything atm, i'm just not used to this kind of theme ... oh well i'm sure i'll think of summin
Just a bit of a basic sketch of a stereotype night elf with an evil twist just to get some ideas going.
The severed head looks shockingly bad i know lol
I should probably check the scanner settings next time as this came out very rough looking
Last edited by Stevo.H; August 3rd, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
ha ha, thats nice ste. couple of issues anatomically but that is summin we can focus on for later work, keep the sketches coming.
Backstory idea; rather than races keeping to themselves its more like the real world where all peoples mix together (although each race has a homeland etc.) There's a large civil war that was instigated by some evil bloke in the political shadows. So its a largely grim time with the war like a constant undertone, yet the people continue with life as best they can.
- So maybe keep the colour palette quite drained (like saving pvt. Ryan)
- jam the characters with little details etc. to convey their role/personality
- rather than red glowy eyes etc. for evil do summin more subtle - this is morality rather than megalomaniacs and so on
let me kno what you think
Hoping to kick in some more detailed sketches next week. And i might even think of some ideas while up north for a few days
good lord its been a while...
ok i've settled on doing a vampire character, not sure exactly what class yet though.
got some biro/graphite free-flow work to come up with the general shape of the face and try and come up with something new. (red arrow for the original idea that i like very much)
(more pretty version soon)
backstory: emos and red hot lovers these vampires are not. Due to their natural predatory role the vampires have assumed a rule over the peoples of the northern realms, divided into several aristocratic family clans the vampires rule the land of 'Umberwalt'. Each clan controls its own territory with all major leader roles such as mayors + chief of police fulfilled by family members with non-vampire races working under them. Unlike the ravenous monsters of legend these vampires are largely cultured, noting the need to control their 'flock' but at the same time avoiding them rising up as a torch wielding mob. Despite being quite separate from the rest of the world the civil war has affected their lands, and each clan sends members to aide which ever side they see most suited to their needs.
the dark side will probably be one whom is less inclined to be cultured and much more violent
kk, heres the latest on el vampiro. Just a wip to flesh the design out a bit before i start on the pencilling for the final design. Armour-wise i've gone for a stye based on the armour of the mongols, practical and in keeping with the animalistic side of the vampire but also plenty of opportunity for lots of decoration especially for the good version. Its also good practices to give a vampire some link to the far east considering their role in victorian literature.
need to make the face slightly more pointed like the biro tho