Question for all ye far more knowledgeable CAers:
I've relocated and I'm on the job hunt. I've currently got these three prospects in the tube:
1 - production assistant at a game studio
2 - marketing talent producing and maintaining collateral for a real estate biz
3 - inventory specialist at a pet supply company.
I've got an interview scheduled at #3. What's the etiquette regarding disclosure - should I tell my interviewer that I'm interested, but am also waiting to hear back from other prospects (which, both being art/design related, I'd drop his position like an old hat)?
Will that shoot me in the foot? Do I wait until I get an offer to disclose? How do I pull this off without denting my suitability OR being an asshole?
There's no reason to tell them anything.
People take jobs-while-they-wait-for-other-jobs all the time.
If you already have interviews or are waiting to hear back from the other ones, I definitely wouldn't accept an offer until you are sure, but if it's one of those things where you haven't even started at those other places, you might as well get the job immediately and take the paycheck until you find something you are really happy with.
We get people accepting a job and not appearing at start date a fair few times. It's all part and parcel of commerce.
Chances are they're not going to offer you the job at the interview, so if they call you up after you can always turn it down and thank them for the offer. If they offer the job to you on the spot it probably means they really want you or you were the only one to apply, so you could probably ask for some time to consider while you figure out what your prospects for 1 and 2 are.
And yeah, don't accept then don't show up. At the very least inform them that you won't be able to take the offer.