Seeking an extremely skilled and talented artist to help us create a graphic novel based on a film script. Desired artistic style is best described as ‘fantasy realism’ - the right artist will have no problem creating highly realistic artwork in a reasonable time frame. We also want someone who can create a sense of exaggerated and highly kinetic action, somewhat like 300 meets The Matrix.
The story itself is very epic and cinematic so the artwork in the novel must reflect that. Subject matter involves giants, angels, demons, epic battles, kingdoms rising and falling, etc. – we’d prefer someone who loves the fantasy genre and will really get in there and feel out the details of this world. The book itself is currently slated to be around 50 pages. You’ll be paid a competitive page rate; ultimately however, pay would depend on your experience and capabilities. In parallel to the book, we are also developing concept art for the film pitch; so if you perform well on the book, there will likely be more work coming your way.
Please reply only if you can demonstrate the following:
- Professional-grade art capabilities and a high proficiency with art fundamentals - drawing, painting, and figuration in particular.
- Relevant experience creating artwork for the graphic novel format.
- Capable of efficiently creating realism for the graphic novel format.
- Extremely strong storytelling abilities in the graphic novel format along with a great sense of composition.
- Ability and willingness to collaborate with art director, work up sketches and thumbnails and get things right before you render final panels.
- Professionalism: doing what you say you’ll do when you say you’ll do it; ability to take feedback well; ability to work and play well with others; dedicated to working with the team to create a top-notch product.
Not required, but we’d strongly prefer if:
- Can work digitally – (but if you can do realism through traditional comic workflows, (pencil, ink, color) or via other techniques, that’s cool too.)
- Live in or around NYC and can work on-site with us (at least occasionally). –Locals will be highly favored.
- You are an established, reputable graphic novelist and/or comic artist with any kind of a following.
Just write to Jobs@Luminous-Arts.com if you're interested and please include:
- A link to an online portfolio of relevant work.
- A resume and/or two or more professional references.
- Your availability - when you can start and how much time you can regularly commit.
- An initial estimate of a page rate based on the info in this post.
Thanks for reading; looking forward to your response!