|Color and Light||1.1||Do Assignment|
|Color and Light||1.2||Do Assignment||1.3 | 1.4|
|Illusion of Space and Atmosphere||1||Do Assignment|
|Personal Art||1.1||Do Assignment|
Hi heres todays update, spent 30 minutes doing a hand study, but I did it in pen for a change.
And some more refinements on that environment I posted yesterday, tried making the mountains appear further appart by adding blue gradient maps, added a bit of fog as well.
the hands pretty cool
i reckon you should do a few of these daily, perhaps limiting yourself to 2 minutes a piece? without taking the pen off the page
give it a try, itll help with your hand eye coordination
with the mountains, the right idea is there, but perhaps try softening the edges of the ones further away to give it more depth, i dont mean all out blur but just alil soften
iheartmyself: thanks for your advice, I see what you mean I went back and softened the edges at bit as you have suggested.
Heres another update, used this photo: http://cydonian.com/photos/img1458.htm and trashed it for a speedpaint 1 hour or so on this one.
Hi heres todays update, this is an environment speedpaint. Apart from the nexus brush I made all of the brushes for this one this morning, so I am using my own brush set now. I think you learn more from creating and using your own brushes
I had the urge to put a signature on this one, I thought it would make it more complete lol
Hi heres todays update, its a WIP of an environment I am working on. Inspired by whit brachnas environments. I have spent about 3 hours on this so far, although about an hour of that was experiment with different brushes and presets.
Like the last one I am using my own brush set for this, also made a couple of snow brushes, a cloud brush and another ground brush. Theres also 2 that are variations of jagged and slightly smoother rocks.
I have learnt a lot so far on this piece, mostly to do with creating appropriate (atleast I think they are appropriate) brushes for the picture. And to start off by adding a rough compostion and perspective grid. Tried adding different variations of cyan as well for the rocks I think it is more interesting/appealing to look at than shades of grey.
Will probably finish this tomorrow. I wanted to get the main shapes, colours, compostion, light and general feel down first before I worried about details and refinement.
Hi heres todays update, 4 life drawings (First 2 are terrible but Ill post them anyway lol). First two I spent 20 minutes on, third 30 minutes and the last 3 hours.
Been trying a different technique for drawing figures, from these videos: http://uk.youtube.com/user/matthew39arch
I like your enviros...in last two I see the progress...try paint from refs! after 2-4 sketches your level grow up..I swear)
Verehin: Thank you, and thanks for the advice. I really need to remember to use reference on all my drawings.
Here is the last update for today, a speed painting I spent 75 minutes on so far.
I started off a bit differently on this one, blocking in shapes, then overlaying a picture by Mathius Verhasselt, manipulating it (trashing it basically lol) and allowing the colours to bleed into the picture, and then forming shapes from a what I could see.
Hopefully Ill finish this tomorrow.
Hi heres todays update, spent 25 minutes doing 1 minute poses from: http://www.posemaniacs.com/pose/thirtysecond.html/
And an update for that environment I posted yesterday.
edit: added a larger version of the environment. btw I have spent 2 hours in total on the environment
Heres todays update, 3 hour figure study.
I probably wont update this sketchbook anymore, perhaps Ill continue this sketchbook in the future. I dont plan on quitting art or anything, I just dont think that this sketchbook is really nesscesscerry at the moment since I know I need to study anatomy, study from reference, basically study a lot ;p I originally started this sketchbook because I wanted to get motivated to do art each day. I feel that I have a focus now on what I want to improve and the way in which I should go about it. And to be honest I enjoy art so much I dont really need to be motivated to do it ;p
Also I am starting college again soon so my posts would of been sporadic at best. I would like to thank everyone that has commented in my sketchbook so far, your comments have been helpful, and encouraging. I will more than likely still browse the site btw, perhaps Ill post now and again with updates on where I am at.
Cya all around and thanks again.
Last edited by Scriar; August 28th, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
haha, well I was humming and hiring about starting a new sketchbook, and figured nah thats cheating lol
So with all my embarrassing old stuff behind me heres an update for this sketchbook after, god 2 years? Ill try to make my updates more regular ;p
Little update on whats happened since my last post. I got completely fed up with my life, hated I.T so much even though I was getting distinctions I just couldn’t do it anymore. Figured what the hell you only live once, so half way through my second year I dropped out, put a portfolio together and looked at uni.
Somehow I got places in a bunch of unis and now I am studying Illustration full time at the university of Plymouth ive just come to the end of my first year and start my second year in september.
Ive been posting mostly in the speedpainting thread and thought it was about time I started up a sketchbook again as it’s a good motivator, and place to get crits etc
Anyway life story over heres some of my art to bring this thread up to date. Have a ton more, alot of it is on my deviant art account (see sig) if you want to check it out, just would take me forever to upload
4 speedpaintings/studies from photos - almost a year old now but gives an idea of progression.
Entry for the gothic girl theme for the monthly gnomon challenge.
A robot design I did to practice starting from linework and bringing to a finish.
Skeleton warrior I did after watching a video by Daarkan
Gnomon competition entry for the Rustic Inn theme.
Lastly a Gnomon Competition entry for this months theme kowloon city.
edit might take awhile to load, sorry about that.
Some of my traditional stuff, I have sort of learnt back to front in that I studied digital first and now I am learning traditional. I have found that doing both helps and keeps things interesting.
Spent most of my time this year doing traditional. Ive discovered I really like watercolours and have been trying to improve in that direction. So far I have reached my goal over the year of being able to make the colours I want, wasnt able to do that before.
Some watercolours and gouache on location for a uni project.
Sketch I did a few months ago.
Tree study - for a location project.
Line drawing/sketch final for a uni project and the digital version I did afterwards. It is trying to show how water can be both good and bad, the example in this drawing is meant to show how the water is destroying the village but the well is there so they are therefore also relying on it for survival. (I dont really like conceptual illustration it was a bit odd lol)
edit: forgot to post this one, its a digital I did as a final idea for a uni project on location drawings.
edit2: also posted a photo of a scrap model I made for another uni project, its for my own character called the stoner squirrel, we had to write a short story and then create the main character from the story.
Mines a stoner squirrel because I was completely drunk at the time of writing
Last edited by Scriar; August 27th, 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Slow day today, but got a painting done reference used as it was originally going to be a quick study just decided to work on it loosely using the reference for about 4 hours, which is long for me lol
Need to work on my patience when it comes to long paintings
Some thumbnails and a character 20 min sketch, I’ve been doing at uni. I put down watercolour brush strokes in a abstract fashion then I used a 0.3 pen to draw what I saw.
I decided not to do frames like a traditional thumnail because I noticed some of the shapes were interacting with one another, which I thought could lead to more interesting designs.
My second year started on Monday, the project we are doing is called illus210 and is very freeform in what we are allowed to do. Essentially I’m taking the research I did for my summer project (some drawings shown in previous post was from that) and expanding it in to a project I want to do even if completely unrelated as long as its come from my research.
After doing these thumbnails I started to see a lot of weird creatures, and mice for some reason (there’s one playing golf as well ) so I think I might do a project where I design characters for the different types of impact that I’ve researched.
And put them on sort of collectable cards with descriptions about them on the back.
Pictures taking on my phone so not the best of quality, once scanners are set up in the studio can hopefully upload using them
Hi, sorry for the lack of updates, ive been very busy at uni.
First painting is the final for my illus241 module at uni. I had to do a digital painting from life, this is the Hoe and Barbican area in plymouth. The second painting is for Feburarys gnomon competition.
The rest are for the childrens Macmillan illustration prize that im currently working on an entry for, they are finals but I have reworked some of them and will probably continue experimenting with the style etc once I get my 32 page dummy book out of the way lol.
The brief is for 3 double page spreads, a front and backcover, and a 32 page dummy book.
Decided to do this as I like to try other genres/new things etc, even though I dont actually like childrens books and have never had any interest in them etc I thought I would learn more about character design, narrative, stylisation, and my work process by attempting this. I definitely appreciate the work that has to go into them now lol
Critique as always is welcome
p.s if anyone is interested this is the story that Ive come up with ive revised it 4 times as it has to be quite short, plus whilst studying childrens books I learnt quite a lot which I tried to apply to the story for instance using repeating phrases seems to be quite common hence the use of the magic word:
1) Mirage the witch looked in the mirror, and then she felt like a zero, so she searched and searched, and there she saw in the magazine on the floor, what she thought was the answer to all her flaws. ‘Yes this is it’ and she began to sit, as she read the ingredient list,
2) ‘The hair of a cat, the ears of a rat, a splat of this and a bit of that, grab a wand and a cat as you know they go with your hat, and now most important of all, and you’ll look like a fool when the moon is full, because of this dance you will do.’
3) And so up she got, she rushed around a lot, she grab this, and that, and then the cat, she tripped on this, crashed into that, she was in a bit of a muddle, and said that was that!
4) She waved her wand in a flurry since she was in a hurry, and there was a BOOM sending poor mirage threw living room, this room, that wall, oh she did look a fool as she swooped dipped and looped, through a chicken coup, up and down, round and round. Then she came to a stop with a loud POP! (illustration showing her crashing into a tree as well as the other things she has done whilst the wand malfunctions)
5) And as she looked down she saw her cat, then realised how lucky was that? With a cackle, and a jig, and a snort like a pig, she said with glee as the cat tried to flee, ZIPPY ZAPPIDY DOO! (illustration can show the cat with a patch of hair missing, perhaps sulking off miserably)
6) And stirred by all the commotion, there was a black motion as she saw in the direction of the floor the most horrible of things, stinky and black, and as big as the cat, it was none other than a rat.
7) She grabbed her wand ZIPPY ZAPIDY DOO! And out popped her broom, she zipped, and zoomed, and span three times too. She grabbed its ears with a tug and pull, oh she did look a fool as she lost her cool, with another ZAP, and the help of her cat she managed to get the ears of that rat. (illustration can possibly show the rats ears turning into a hat so it can be taken by the witch in a less violent way and hopefully be funny as well)
8) ‘So, I have the hair of a cat, the ears of a rat, now for a bit of this and a bit of that.’ She flew some more, and more and more, swooped and dipped, and even flipped, till she had a bit of this and some of that.
9) And after that she lifted her hat to look towards the moon, she knew it would be soon so she zipped and she zoomed, higher and higher, oh what a flyer.
10) And it would have given you a fright, if you saw the sight, as Mirage the witch whipped out her wand, ZIPPY ZAPPIDY DOO! With a SPARKLE and CRACK, and not to mention a groovy cat.
11) Mirage dropped her wand, and oh what a lunge, the cat joined in too but out shot some magic, oh it was tragic, with a ZIPPY ZAPPIDY DOO! They merged into ONE! This could be fun.
12) She had black fur, ears, whiskers, and a tail, oh it was disgraceful, definitely distasteful, but she did look better too. So she picked up her wand, with a FIZZ and a CRACK, it looked something like that as she shouted ZIPPY ZAPPIDY DOO!
Speedpainting that I did this morning before uni, trying to make myself do more characters and also to try and do a painting, drawing etc for myself atleast once a day. Otherwise I spend every day doing uni work lol
Added a brighter version as it was a bit dark.
Last edited by Scriar; March 17th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
This is a painting ive been working on, on and off for a while now, I didnt really know what I wanted to do when I started it. I spent longer than I have before on any painting, and learnt a lot as a result.
Glad I 'finished' it though, Ive gotten sick at looking at the thing lol
The W.I.Ps for the painting are available on my blog.
My character design for dominance war V. Im making a goddess of the wilds need to add the line weight, details, etc still. Just wanted to give an update to what I am doing ;p
Im tying this competition into my last module which is to do anything to promote yourself. The competition finishes on my hand in date which is convenient lol
edit: this is my W.I.P thread if anyone is interested http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...f=329&t=973389
and a speedpainting I forgot to post here.
Last edited by Scriar; April 28th, 2011 at 08:49 AM.
These are my finals for the Dominance War V competition.
Basically finished my second year of illustration now we are just putting up the end of year show now, the year has gone incredibly quickly. The Dominance War entry doubled as my end of year module. I learned a lot doing it and it was great fun as well. Its a shame its the last Dominance War but I am glad that I did it.