1) Yes, you were given false information.
2) To get better, hang around here alot, study and practice frequently, post your work and listen to the advice you are given.
3) To get even better, draw every day, from both life and from imagination, but especially from life.
4) To get better than that, draw more every day.
5) To get even better, ...did I mention drawing every day?...from life?...
There is no easy road to being good at art, you must put in the time and effort and tears. Don't expect it to happen overnight, but if you are dilligent in your efforts, you will get better at it. And there are many people here who will give you the benefit of their wisdom along the way. Good Luck with your endeavor.
As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.