What a great improvement since the page 1. Keep it up. You are getting seriously good.
merl1n - Thanks very much man
Rich4rt - Thanks aswell :3
So last couple days Ive been reflecting on my the stuff ive been doing and I dont actually have a real finished illustration so I think im going to think of something for a real good proper piece spend a little while doing some studies and then try and really nail something, push up a step.
- In the meantime here are a bunch of sketch studies from life and ref and some dumb stuff on the last page.
- Then a zombie chick, quite into afflicted people and whatever just now.
- A loose justin kaufman study looking at light and colour.
- Some random landscape experimentation.
- Afflicted mummy thing
great updates, loving the landscapes... the fourth one on 332# and the last one you posted are really cool... specially the last one is very interesting, also i like the style you gave to the last one back on post 332#, awesome stuff man, looking forward for more
Last edited by Gpozzo; August 3rd, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Hey man, love the last 4 artworks, really good balance between polished and sketchy areas in each piece, which makes the focus point clearly defined. thanks for sharing with us!
gpozzo - Thanks man glad you think theyre interesting
Sean McClain - Im going to assume a trip is a good thing aha thanks
Matt Levert - Thanks glad you think so, lets say its intentional :3
mushroomz - thanks yo
So the last 3 days I've been tearing my hair out about smooth rendering and solid form. Ive been trying to get good at doing everything with a hardround but everything ends up slightly streaky so I end up just using a soft round anyway and then there is 0 texture and it just looks airbrushy and the forms arent solid. People get such nice finishes with a hard round or using smudge tool in folds or whatever and I cant seem to get any of it to work. Also god damn clouds, i just feel that I dont have any control of the brush and its really getting me frustrated and down.
Anyway here is stuff:
- sketchpage imagination
- digi sketches imagination
- env studies
- env imagination
- portrait imagination god damn render
edit: fixed last face up a bit
Last edited by TFsean; June 28th, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Hey! Do you know about the hardness setting on brushes? I'm not sure if this is something super obvious to other people and if I was just not seeing it, but you can select the hard round and then adjust the hardness when you right click. I know my mind was blown when I found out you could do that. So try that and painting with like 70 or 80% hardness. And if you already knew about it, well fuck me I don't know what to say.
skMOP - Hey man, I knew of it but for some reason never thought to mess with it so thanks for reminding me to have a tinker with that man :3
Hallo so ive been experimenting and stuff last couple days trying to get a bit more illustrative and narrative and also realising its time to get big on studies again and push up a step so I did some arm studies last night to get me started my arm anatomy is really shocking. Guys on left are doodles before the studies.
Anyway the paintingz:
- Experimenting with story, mood, colours, textures and everything else
- Experimenting with more illustrative stuff, started to look pretty "Kekai" so I went with it and look at some of his designs for some of the things the guy is wearing that guy really designs some rad stuff.
- Sketch done at like 2am yesterday that went quite well, experimented with bunch of random layer modes and textures and whatevzz.
wow your sb shows big improvement! nice work!
limsh - Thanks man :3
So about 5 days ago I started work on a Bouguereau study with the intention of trying to get as close to an exact reproduction as possible. I learned a lot during the process and am very glad I did it, in total I must have spent 20+ hours on it over the course of 4-5 days. That was the only painting I did during that time which I think if I am to do another I will have other things going on with it to keep it fresh. Boug was a subtle little minx and thats one of the big things I learned from this, the other was patience and discipline with a piece, also ive never tried to replicate something this closely so that was interesting. Other than that I have some sketch pagessss:
- little portraits from life
- random stuff around house from life
- self portrait and random bumf
- gesture studies
- doodles and portrait study
- BOUG studeh
and now I go back to regular schedule, cyaaa
Oh dude, your improvement is incredible. Lovely pencils, I guess I'll go through your sketchbook when I have some time - it seems to be very promising, might be able to learn something from it as well.
LastGen - Thanks very much man you are 2 k1nd :3
Kevin_ - Thanks very much man still got long way to go though
Satu - Thanks very much man glad you like chicks cuz i aint gonna stop :3
Hai guise, so today I have for you some stuff.
- gesture drawings
- random sketches
- trying to learn mechas and industrial design, the refd ones are so damn sick. My first serious mecha attempt is bottom left I think hes ok but hes pretty heavily applied from the two above, definitely learned some stuff.
- Archer Chick I did couple days ago, she was done without too many issues and am pleased with her (rare) so ye thats pretty cool, getting more comfortable with painting digital figures, black and white anyway.
- Rainy tall grass thing, in terms of what I was trying to do it pretty much bombed but posting anyway.
These are all Jaime Jones peices, I need to stop trying to randomly create the best environments ever and actually study so here is a start from today, I will be doing more Jaime Jones studies as he is the bomb.
SamC - Keep it up i will
Natalia - Yes the hand is weird bleh, need to do studies :3
SO ITS BEEN A WHILE, I've been inter-railing round spain for 2 weeks and now I'm back with a bunch of stuuuuff. I didnt have any photoshop during so I thought I would come back a pencil god but oddly that didnt happen. However I did a lot of life drawing and tried some watercolours and generally it felt good to do such different art. I cam back last night and today felt really great painting digital, it just seemed clearer and fresher so it's all goood.
Went to several fine art museums and wrote down the names of a bunch of siiick painters I found in these gallerys. I will scan the page with the names for anyone whos interested.
Also I bought a moleskin before leaving and its pretty swell.
ANYWAY here is my run down of all me stuff:
- Moleskin sketches all from life, some places named at bottom
- 2 crappy water colours that stuff is hard i dno what I'm doing
- Ipod life painting on the "brushes" app
- Imaginative sketches unless specified with "ref" or "study"
- Colour experimenting today
- Quick environment composition and lighting
- A piece I started before leaving and that I finished today
And thats about it for now, back to regular posting I suppose... :3
Very nice works you have, I love the pencil sketches, and he very lats piece here with the knight and sword. The portrayed depth via colour and contrast is pretty convincing. Keep up the enviro-studies.
featheredface - thanks mannn
marianrowling - Thanks there, glad someone likes the watercolours aha, might give them another go cuz its a cool medium but bleh so hard.
Oka so here is stuff from last couple days. Been looking at wes burt trying to up my pencil work.
- studys and drawringz
- bumskee study
- random fart
- random fart 2
- First serious attempt at an interior
So very recently ive had some revelation in how i'll be going about my study/work which was cool and painting has been more fun since too. So here is stuff:
- Wes Burt style drawing, faces are refd was a rendering/value exercise, really want to up my pencils.
- Couple samurai studys
- Quick self portrait from life with artistic license on the stash
- Quick garage sketch thing
- Sneaky door guard thing
Loving your paintings! Can't wait to see what you make next.
The newest paintings are fantastic. I agree with Sam, It looks like you're making major changes in quality within days.
Dude, really sick stuff in here. The landscape at the bottom of post #349 is Stunning. You're getting good really quick, don't stop.
Heres the painting from the stream, thanks to everyone who stopped by
Last edited by TFsean; September 21st, 2012 at 01:47 PM.