Earlier this year I decided to paint a study in Photoshop with the goal of matching a reference as closely as I possibly could. In the end I decided the image might be more interesting if I left some areas in an unfinished state. Also, painting those hairs became exhausting I tried to minimized the layers while painting the face but I made an exception for the hair. The pore and high frequency skin detail were painted last. There are some closeup WIP images in my CA sketchbook as this was actually completed back in February/March and I never got around to posting it.
This is the result of 20-30 hours of work, perhaps more as I lost count after I started adding the hair and pores. I really hope you like it.