You read the book. Then you look at the pretty pictures. Then you copy the pretty pictures.
Then you think and consider... a lot. Then you try to make your own pretty pictures, using what you might have learned. Then it's not quite right.
So you try again and again, until you get it close to where you want to be.
Then you try a lot more.
Easy. What's the problem?
Buying a book and copying its pictures without an understanding of the subject is like buying a book on how to write poetry and just copying the poems.
Art books are an aid to an at least decent practice schedule, just like how a supplement would aid a exercise regime; not be the sole source of study.
We need a book on how to read books. I know what book-series might be the best for creating this.
"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw BeksinskiMy Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!
For Dummies For Dummies? I hope it doesn't get to that stage...
Twinkle, twinkle little star
I don't wonder what you are
For by spectroscopic ken
I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.
Dang, hearing all these horror stories about schools makes me want to go hug my art teachers. Sounds like I got lucky to have a decent inexpensive program under my nose.
Although, my Beginning Painting teacher recommends to use books for wiping excess paint from your brushes....
old telephone books, that is.
I think the OP's question is valid infact.
The people mocking him have probabaly fixed mindsets.
"Just read the book", "copy whats in the book".
The simple fact is not many people and I argue 99% the people on this site have the first clue about how to actually learn, and this is not fault of theirs, this is the fault of linear teaching.
Learning is not about hey let me read this and copy all the pictures in the book. To accelarate yourlearning and teahc yourself how to learn and mememorize is totally different to what you have been taught how to learn in schools. From doing linear questions, sitting for 4 hours thinking your doing amazing job because you sat their for 3-4 hours, from copy These mthods do not work, and there is research for this.
You have to look at the information, ask questions, in why is it liek that, why does something work that wya. You then uses your Multi sensory abilities you have. These are your Visual, auditory, and Physical abilities. You dont learn by using one of them, you use a mix of all 3 of them to learn, and increase your learning. This means if you read something, read it out aloud to yourself, make notes, use images, use different colours, try use hand movements to make sense of it.
Learning is a far more indepth process than what peopel think, and actually think about. Linear teaching may work for 10% of peopel but the other 90% will just not learn that way.
I cant really go into alot of it right now, as it is far more complex, but I suggest looking up Brian tracys accelerated learning techniques.
a lot of people commenting but going no where.
the anatomy book is for when you're drawing a figure, first you draw compose the figure and of course the human brain can't memorize the whole human anatomy so you then you reference your anatomy book to fix in the specifics of that figure as you detail it more.
I have to write 'I will not spam' a thousand times in the next week, in by bestest hand writing and say sorry to Black Spot for being so cheeky.
Last edited by Star Eater; January 31st, 2012 at 05:12 PM.