Johnathan Static here...
I am new here, and as a matter of fact this is my very first post. (so I do hope that I put all this in the proper place, if not please forgive me.)
A lil' about myself...
1) I am a 44 yr old frustrated comic book artist, who never quite made it.
2) I have never taken a formal art class. (except for a 3 day 3 hour cartooning course when I was younger, Does that count? I don't count it heh) This is NOT a source of pride but a source of frustration because I have always wanted to attend.
3) Made the switch from comic book art to comic strip art after a 2 and a half year layoff because of a heinously harsh critique / rebuke from one of my heroes in the field at a comic book convention.
4) I once worked for a small news paper in Texas doing both single panel political, 5 panel humor, and single panel humor strips. (most were well received) but it was a very short stint.
5) I have been drawing since I have been old enough to hold a pencil, I love art and drawing, and I desperately want to improve.
I haven't drawn seriously in about 8 years, But I really want to start again, get better at it and illustrate somewhere for a living. I must say though that looking at all of the sketchbooks here I have been rather hesitant to show my work, because you guys are just brilliant at what you do and I know that I don't hold a candle in comparison.
In any case any comments and suggestions are very welcome.
The following are scans of some of my older sketches.