I am beginning a job in September as a video game concept artist. Since I'm not very good at environments, I thought it would be a good idea to do some master copies. I chose to do Tatsuhiro Otomo with the understanding that because he is so beyond me in skill that even my fetus-steps would be a massive improvement. That's when I looked at this: Attachment 1814608
And I concluded that I might need to ask for some advice, and what better place than here to ask? So, I've got a few questions:
1. To all of you who do this professionally, is there a better person I can choose to study from?
2. What kind of pencils, inks and paper do you guys think he may have used? I'm kind of new to inking and I figure I would need to use pretty light pencils like 2hs and one of those fancy ink quills that dip into the little inkwells.
3. Is there anyone with a method comparable to his that might have a tutorial
4. How in the world did he do this stuff so quickly? Does anyone know how long it took him to do a page?
5. I do have a website (http://brentdonoho.com) that showcases my current skillset. I've started doing figure practice to develop a larger mental library. Are there any other exercises I should be doing? I am going to do the shadowbox, but there are probably others that would be equally helpful in picking up the slack on some of my weaknesses as an illustrator.
Please forgive me for any questions that are pedestrian. I've tried to come up with questions that are specific to studying Otomo and would be hard to look up in the Stickies. I thank all of you for the incredibly community you have made and look forward to hearing your wisdom.