I have concerns on copyright related issue that I will need to further clarify with.
Checked around but no one seem to be able to give me a proper answer. Thus, I thought here will be the right channel to seek for clarification since there're so many professional here.
Let's take 2 samples for discussion, whether can I use them for portfolio purposes (not for commercial usage).
#1 Almost the same posture and texture used
- This is a fanart for my favourite author's novel series and I posted it on that novel's fanfiction website.
As you can see, I have sketched out the body using TEKKEN's Bryan posture. I flip it horizontally because from the novel storyline, his broken right arm is his main weapon, the focus of the drawing. Since I'm consulting on the copyright issue, I have flipped Bryan picture back for reference/discussion purposes.
- I have repainted two parts from Bryan picture used, his face & belt (as for others, just sketch & paint). See above for the picture of the detail of his face, not sure is it illegal if using other's artpiece and revise to this (well, it is game promotional art actually but still count as "other's artpiece" right~). You will be able to see some minor amendments done, like the eyes, scar, face expression, the light source and etc. but only some minor thingy.
- And now the detail of the belt. As of the ornament logo, it means fire in chinese.
- This is also a fanart for the novel series mentioned earlier and I posted it on that novel's fanfiction website.
As you can see I have sketched out the body using TEKKEN's Paul's posture. This time round, I flip it horizontally for nothing, just it looked better in that way.
- Overlay pictures for comparison purposes. This time i've used face and lower right for repaint base.
- Leg, I have revised it bigger/muscular to impose the style & spirit
- Left hand, it was scaled down for it to look more narrow at the background.
- Face, a lot of amendments here and there. Minor changes was on his eyes to be looked like asian, fatter chin & bigger nose for the dumb look and the scar as described in the novel
p/s: reference taken from TEKKEN was included in my art description
#2 Using artists' face as the base for repaint
- Pictures shown are both the fanart for the novel series mentioned earlier too.
Above details posted just to show how much I have admended but still I'm referencing others' artwork/picture, thus, please let me know whether is it illegal in patent/copyright law for me to use those works for my portfolio (no commercial use). And is it all cases raised earlier can be used? Can it use for fan fiction? Or else i have to delete it all