My current project involves creating concept drawings for a mediaeval Persian fantasy setting, from individual buildings to mighty city environments. The objective is to produce works depicting, as faithfully as possible, the setting in late 18th/early 19th century Persia.
I am asking if anybody has any advice, reference images, good websites, books, magazines or documentaries (BBC, Nat Geo, Discovery etc.) that they might recommend? (Wikipedia has already been raided for all its worth!)
The specifications/brief for the project are as follows:
1. The setting is late 18th/early 19th century Persia
2. The style is Dark Fantasy - Set in an alternative version of Persia c. 1800, there are all manner of djinn (genies), wizards and magic. This also means some important structures could be abnormally large/tall or unusual
3. I need to produce both internal and external concept drawings for residential, religious, political, industrial and military buildings (in addition to city walls, bridges and other structures)
4. Drawings will include:
- 2D plans/maps
- Front & side elevations
- 3D cutouts showing interior
Some points that I need to take into consideration:
* The prevalent architecture of the setting will be from the 9th century Khorasani style through to 17th century Isfahani style.
* Building materials include heavy clays, moulded mud, lime mortar and brick/adobe structures.
* Geometry of Persian design - Persian architecture makes use of abundant symbolic geometry, using pure forms such as the circle and square, and plans are often based on symmetrical layouts featuring rectangular courtyards and halls.
* Decorative art (including stucco reliefs, decorated doors, gates, windows etc.)
* Post-Islamic cities have narrow, winding streets called Koochehs. These provide relief from dust-storms and intense sunlight.
* Windcatchers (or ab anbar) feature on many buildings and are used to create natural ventilation and to cool the air.
The project is in its infancy and will be ongoing throughout this year, so there is no immediate deadline. If you can provide any advice to assist me in this large project, I really would be grateful!
I plan to upload thumbnails, sketches, WIPs as I go along, so if you are interested, watch this space!
Thanks in advance.