This is a project I have been working on at The Guildhall at SMU these past months.
After shakey starts, the first colour version was pounded out during the better part of a couple weeks... terrible terrible time for us.
The second one was a bit more work done so that I would feel less crummy.
I enjoyed working on it when I did make the time to work on it.
While most of my peers are closer to finished pieces, mine is still a WIP, and will be with me for a long... long.... long.... long... long time...
I believe the focus of the project was to learn not only how to visually try and match a resource image--the reason being that if we could manage this, then we could be expected to "be able to do anything', and we would be better for having done it--while experimenting with different methods of arriving at the realization of the image--[B]from scratch/B]--Kind of--aside from the occasional eye-dropper tool and many nearly eye-gouging guides.
In essence, a forced march of a crash course in Photoshop
The exercise intends for us to learn how to effectively use Photoshop.
I tried to use the colour picker whenever I could, because the practice was better, but I ended up using the former more than not. Something else I tried to avoid was going pixel-to-pixel, but I usually found myself working zoomed in most of the time ._.
In addition, it tried to teach us to effectively make and employ pore brushes. It took me a very long time to figure that last one out, and any constructive criticisms, tips, suggestions, or links would be greatly appreciated, as is your time in viewing this thread.
I understand that many of my peers have been viewed with scorn and suspicions, but please set these aside. I beg you for their morale [and sanity] of each of us as we all put in a lot of effort to get these to some degree of good quality for your viewing.
IN failing that, I apologize for its incompleteness.
- We also used the same dimensions of the reference image as well. The file size is 3674 x 2443 at 366 ppi, so I can't get the whole image up, instead I am cropping it to the face/head and leaving out the rifle, which can still be seen in my sketchbook below.
- Also, I have a sketchbook if you would like to check the milestone progressions.
- I have many more progression shots if you would like to see them.
- Not a paint over. I cannot make you believe me, or dispel your doubts though.
- Yes, I feel crummy that its not even close to finished.
- Still suck at using/making brushes.
Thank you for looking, and for your criticisms and comments.