Sketchbook: Naji53's mostly subway sketchbook (updated 09.02.07)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Naji53's mostly subway sketchbook (updated 09.02.07)

Alright...so I've been lurking and randomly commenting on this board for a while now. I still haven't exactly gotten acclamated to regularly commenting/posting, but I'm going to give it a try with this sketchbook.

I'm a begining Illustrator, just out of college (Pratt) and I need a lot of practice...

Most of my sketches are people on the subway, but I'm trying to do other things. I especially want to improve my imaginative drawings, so will try to post character designs and whatnot as I come along.

Thanks...and crit the hell out of me!

These first sketches are from a small 3X5 moleskine I'm about finished with. I try to experiment with different size books and media. This one is almost all in ink, using a pentel brush pen.

Name:  fruitsthumb.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  23.0 KB

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  152.6 KB

Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  s3.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  s4.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  s5.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  s6.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  s7.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  117.6 KB

Name:  s8.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  s9.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  s10.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  96.4 KB

Last edited by naji53; September 2nd, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
    Ajani Oloye: Illustrator----> http://www.ajanioloye.com

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, here's a study I did yesterday. I haven't painted since before school, towards the start of may.

It's acrylic, on cheap stetched canvas. Size is somewhere around 8X10 and it took a little over 2 hours.

edit: added a better quality pic

Name:  fruits0607v2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  159.8 KB

Also, I just wanted to add that I do feel a little silly after posting. I've been around for a while and I'm still amazed at the great work on this forum. I feel slightly embarrassed posting what I have...

Last edited by naji53; June 19th, 2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added better quality pic

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updates from my latest sketchbook. Trying to work in mostly pencil since I don't use that enough.

Mostly done on the subway. I tried to put some imaginative drawings and longer life drawings in there too. The long rendered drawing towards the end is my girlfriend watching Fist of the North Star (her favorite) and I put in some character designs I was playing around with for a comic book I'm working on.

Name:  skebu1.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  skebu3.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  skebu4.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  skebu5.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  skebu6.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  skebu7.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  skebu8.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  skebu9.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  skebu10.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  64.4 KB

Attachment 157209

Attached Images Attached Images  

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, so this is/was my first published illustration.

I did it in back towards the start of may, but I just got the magazine today so I'm going to post it.

Unfortunately, the published the wrong picture. Originally, I had done this as a homework assignment in acrylic. I had a show as part of my graduation and the company that hired me saw this concept. We agreed that I would redo it in vector (Illustrator CS2) and I would change it a bit to fit the theme.

The original was about diversity in business, and they wanted me to change it to reflect generational diversity. So i made a slightly older looking hand, and prettied it up a little bit.

They told me about this right before my graduation, so I rushed away from my ceremony and seeing my friends to get my first piece done.

...and they didn't even publish it. I gave them a 300dpi jpeg and they published the badly photographed 72dpi sample.

Ugh, sorry for the speech, I just had to express that.

Anyway, I'm not even sure this fits in here. But it's here anyway.

Name:  diversityweb2.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  46.1 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for posting your work.i to have been lurking here. i just installed my scanner so i hope to post some work aswell. your work is good but i really dont (crit) others work. so, thanks for posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice loose, energetic sketches with the pen. The big guy on the chair is very nice with great texture in the pen/brush marks.

For the pirate (imaginative drawing I'm guessing) did you lay down any guides and basic structure first? His anatomy seems rather bizarre and he seems to be missing a neck.

Otherwise, don't feel embarrassed - just post!

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mjolnir> thanks for commenting! I'll be on the look out for your work when it's up.

Sevans> Hmm, yea, I didn't use any guide lines. I'm going to have to look at some construction tuts and anatomy stuff. Good comment though, this is exactly what I needed. So I'm gonna hopefully post things along those lines soon.

I feel a little bit better now. I think I'm just embarrassed because I feel could be doing a lot better. In any case, I have to get myself into peak artistic condition.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well man, for getting into peak artistic condition, youve come to the right place. i love the still life fruit composition, and the pic of your girlfriend. your inkwork reminds me of old skool comics, i think with the pirate it could work really well. all depends on the style you're going for though. got more to say, but ill wait for next time cause my compy's going loopy. mata ne! ^_^

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everyone who has commented in my sketchbook. With that amount of sketchbooks and the quality of this forum I'm pleasantly surprised to get a response at all.

A small update, I did another practice painting or sorts. I've been asked to do live painting this weekend and to get an idea of how this will work since this is my first time I did a practice/example.

So I timed myself at 90 min, painted in acrylic and this is what came out. The initial drawing was taken from one of my subway sketches, which i freehanded in ink on canvas. I put acrylic sealer over it to lock it in and then painted on top starting with washy layers and ending with somewhat thicker paint.

I feel satisfied with it, but hopefully this will get me more practice and my work will get more and more "complete."

Name:  0626071web.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  150.0 KB

Also, for anybody in NYC that is interested to see me, here's the info.

Name:  Multi-hop-June-30-Flyer-web.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  35.9 KB

One last thing, if anybody is interesting in sketching with me, let me know. I saw there was a group before in New York, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. In any case, I'm always up for a sketching buddy.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright...so I was awol for a while there. I was caught up with work, relationships and just life in general...excuses excuses.

Anyway, It's time for an update.

So the last time I posted I was going to do live painting in Brooklyn. I was pretty excited about it but unfortunately my excitement was squashed not soon after my first few minutes there.

There were just too many problems with management and...ugh, just too many things to get into. Not to mention that I was very dissapointed with my skills. Though I guess I should give myself a break, I tried at least.

So I did this 3 times, until I ultimately told them I'm not going to continue anymore so I can just improve myself.

The first time I chose a sketch from my skecthbook and tried to paint it out from my head. I did a sketch in photoshop beforehand.

The sketch.
    Name:  06291sat.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  31.8 KB
    Name:  062911.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  38.1 KB

The aftermath.

Name:  live1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  65.3 KB

Round 2
    The theme was something like, African and Asian unity...I went with it and decided to combine saiyuki with some of hip hop's greats. Biggie, Beyonce, Andre 3000, and Snoop Dogg. Again my sketch even in it's quickly done stage was a lot better than what I did at the live painting event.

Sketch.
    Name:  saiyuki6.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  283.6 KB

The horror.
    Name:  live2.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  97.2 KB

Then I did one last event. The theme for this one was "Blackanese." It was basically the same thing as the last one and I was plenty frustrated. I came up with an idea at the last moment. Again, I was dissapointed in myself.

Sketch.
    Name:  live3sketch.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  103.6 KB

Final.
    Name:  live3.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  97.9 KB

I actually gave up some time through and decided to just sketch the DJ as he was spinning his set. This was much more natural for me and I was somewhat satisfied with it. I did it in 10 min or so, given more time I think I would be ok.

Name:  live4.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  56.5 KB

Alright, at least two more posts to come, and then I try to be regular with this again.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, now on to something that I feel is a little better.

I took one month of classes at the Art Student's League here in NY with Nelson Shanks.
    I went it to it, wanting to learn how to paint, and was surprised to find that you have to start out drawing in charcoal before I can go to oils. At first it was frustrating, but I understand where they're going with that, and I feel like I've improved a lot since then.

After the class I applied to work study, because I'm broke, and got in. So as long as the classes aren't full, I'll be taking Nelson Shanks' and Fredrick Wong's class at the league.

Anyway, here's a few the charcoal drawings that I didn't erase.

Sorry for the crappy pics, my camera sucks...or maybe I just don't know how to take good pictures.

Name:  charc1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  charc2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  charc3.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  charc4.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  charc5.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  79.2 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    edit: photoshopped and reuploaded them, i was seeing through the other side of the page

A few sketches, bringing me up to date with things.

Name:  0901071.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  190.7 KB

Name:  0901072.jpg
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  0901073.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  0901074.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  109.0 KB

Name:  0901075.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  0901076.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  163.0 KB

Name:  0901077.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  255.6 KB

Name:  0901078.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  218.7 KB

Name:  0901079.jpg
Size:  88.8 KB

Last edited by naji53; September 2nd, 2007 at 12:33 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, hisashiburi! i was wondering where you went. with the live painting, was it up to you what you wanted to do, or was there like, a set theme? personally, for live stuff, my opinion is to do what you feel most at ease doing, cause then you won't be nervous or anything, and itll be easier to make something good cause you're comfortable with it. my friend just had a live show where she did caricatures of people, like, huuuuge, and she just had a lot of fun with it. some came out better than others, but she had fun with it. i really like the life drawings you did, and the dj sketch came out nice. the ink drawings are nice too, maybe if you do live stuff again you might want to start out with ink stuff and paint over it? that ink/acrylic one came out really nice, so maybe that style might suit you for live stuff as you seem more comfortable with that. also, the sketches for the live pieces you did came out much better than the actual paintings, so you might want to try to stick more closely to the sketches. and try to be loose when you do it, cause its easier to do creative stuff when you're kinda just doing stuff than when you're trying to focus on making it exact. anyway, that's my 2 yen. hope it all goes well, and better luck next time with the live stuff. keep the are comin man. take care.

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sevans> Thanks, I've been checking out your stuff too and you're pretty consistent at impressing me with your style.

Purb36>Hisashiburi! Y'see, that was part of the problem, I wasn't really free to do what I want. Actually, I realize now if I just spoke up a bit he would've given me more control...anyway, the themes were set. He picked the colors I could use and the theme he wanted. When I did the example piece with ink and acrylic I just did that with no restrictions.

There were more problems than that, for example the lighting in the club was terrible. I could hardly see anything, and when I did get light it was yellow, and messed up my color perception. I had my brushes stolen one time, and had to use someone else brushes that I wasn't used to for the second time. In general all these problems kind of stressed me out, in addition to a big problem of me just lacking confidence in my abilities a large part of the time.

I agree with you though, I probably was focusing too much on getting it exact instead of just having fun. I would've loved to have just done something like your friend did. I'm not sure when or if I will do another live painting, but looking at what happened, I think I have a better idea of how to perform.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, I'm almost certain I'll be in Japan this december, so we should hang out if you're going to be around.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    def man, lemme know if and when you come down. doko ni iku tsumori desu ka?
    -A

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man yr line sketches are nice. so loose and confident. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    purb36> I had planned to be there from dec.21-jan.2 but I'll be in kyushu for most of that time. I want to visit kansai and kanto but I'm not sure how I will schedule that just yet. I'll let you know as I get closer to my trip.

hummdrumm> thanks for the comment, i definitely will keep it up, u gave me a boost of confidence

Anyway, here's a charcoal drawing i did the other night. I didn't time myself, but I think it was under 40min or so.

Name:  charcself.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  63.2 KB

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, didnt realize you had a sketchbook on here. I love the loose pen drawings on the subway. this past summer i went out to try and get better with my anatomy and painting, first i bought a john Bridgman book (constructive anatomy) and copied every page and it helped A LOT. I also went out and bought a John Singer Sargent book and did master copies and that was a huge help to. I recomend getting an anotomy book and copy some master painters. also Pratt has open drawing sessions tuseday and wensday (6-9) and saturday (1-4). its 3 bucks a session or you can pay 20 and get tickets to 10 sessions. keep drawing and keep up the good work

Blog: My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    duuuuuuude? nan de nai no?!!!! kakinasai!!!!!

-A

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.