Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: N1ck's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

N1ck's Sketchbook

Hi all

This is my first Sketchbook and I am a total beginner. I started drawing about 5 months ago but I didn't take it really serious. But now I want to take it serious

So here is some older stuff from about 2 to 3 months ago. Later I will post some pages of my current sketchbook. For the last one I had some reference for the water. But mostly my colors are horrible… I have to get better.

Apologies for the bad photoquality, I only have a camera and no scanner.

-Nick

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some loose sketches…

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate, sorry for not replying sooner! You must think i suck

Great sketches man, You are doing the right thing, studies! Keep doing those, they look great, and as you keep drawing you will improve a lot! Doing studies, whatever its from life, or just studying paintings by old masters etc will improve your observation sense, hopefully you'll also take notes while studying that you can use later

Keep posting man! You are going strong

-Dennis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good start. as dile said : you're oing the right things and now do a lot of them .
    Just keep at it and show us what you got!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the critics. They really motivated. Unfortunately I don't have much time today so I just can show a fast warmupsketch from reference. I know, my shading and linequality is horrible but I hope practise will solve this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skillcapture

So this one is quite[edit: no, extreme] crappy, I know. It was done only from mind. This will be my skillcapture for the human face. So now I can beginn studying

Last edited by N1ck; August 12th, 2007 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ey man, thought I'd comment on your SB now I have the time for it. Really appreciate you commenting on mine.

Anyway, I like the rendering you did on the first few drawings (spoon, fruit). I also like the drawing you did of your sketchbook with the pencils and all lying on it. Watch out though with the foreshortening on the reference doll (or what the hell it's called) standing there.

As Dile said, keep doing what you're doing, it's good! And do some more anatomy studies, for the head I recommend you take a look at Drawing the Human Head by Burne Hogarth and Drawing the Head and Hands by Andrew Loomis.

Good luck!

sketchbook: http://c ghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6480
    Deviantart
    Last.fm

"We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars." -Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the digi-scenery. its very pretty

i give this site to almost everyone who i think would like to see it lol
    www.posemaniacs.com/blog

share it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches, always great to see an artist starting out. I think you're on to the right things and it's great you have joined our sketchgroup so we can learn together. I still feel like a beginner every day after two years, so hopefully you won't make the same mistakes as I did. See you at our next sketchgroup meeting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, thanks a lot for the critics…they are really appreciated.
    Sorry for the long lack of updates but I was very busy with school and I had to focus on that manly. Now I finally have holidays and a lot more time to draw.

This one I drew on my mother's birthday card. Copied from an old photo

And some crappy sb pages. As you can see I was in a chinese restaurant
    Btw sorry for the bad photoquality, I'm really thinking of getting a scanner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whut a scarry baby .. If not arms hands and legs it would be very cool. I very like face. Good face anatomy. Keep it up. Study anatomy. Read books and so on

sujak nx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    N1ce sketches keep it up!
    You have pretty nice perspective on the house, something I cant seem to get right
    but it looks good, keep it up and you will certainly improve
    I am looking forward to seeing more!
    Spending time on each line in shading is a very good habit, so start now and you will improve rapidly!
    Also as far as proportions go if something looks funky then remember that area and do some anatomy studies with it later, that will help too, but overall you have some really nice things
    keep it up

oh and stop by SB sometime it would be nice to hear from you sometime
    c-ya around

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! You have to tell me when you update ! I want to see your stuff you know!

Good studies man, great that you are patient enough to do them!
    Keep up the good work man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ney n1ck thx for stopping by!! I hope i can someday join your group, brono is mailing me but i have to work most weekends. :-(
    from your posts i can see that you're doing many various things at the time. what helped me alot is the idea of learning and practising one thing at a time.

I got that from a cheap artbook, the author didn't miss a chance to mention how important it is to practise one thing at a time, he wrote that he tells his students to draw only structure/line for a good 3-4 months. really learning to define form and texture just by simple line.
    when you think you're far enough, continue to values (light and shade) in black and white. only values. the same thing goes with colors.
    bobby chiu (imaginism) told a similar approach. it worked fine for me.

oh my god i wrote so much... :-. maybe this can help you.
    if you want we can go sketching (unter der woche nach den ferien) sometime. just pm me.

go on youtube and search for bobby chiu, his videos are really great.

cu

-antonio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    throtailer: thx, im just starting with anatomy. i got bridgman's "constructive anatomy"

jedininjaman: thanks for the motivation. the perspective on the house is soo basic, you can manage that too

dile: hehe, i would have told you on msn later anyway. But i have to update more often. i've been drawing everyday, just didnt put all crap in here. ah, and btw you are really a great help on msn, so thank you!

kfeeras: thank you very much for the tips, i think i have to apply some of them^^ Of course i would like to going with you out sketching, we have to mail when the time is good.

-------

Really have nothing worthy to show which is my problem at these times. I just get frustrated by the stuff i draw and paint … and some of my crap i produce is even worser than the stuff i did at my very beginning.

So this isn't really something to show, I just want to post something cause i think its better solving problems not alone.

And btw. i even am not able to post some old stuff i did digital cause my hd crashed with all my stuff on it :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for the encouragement, your SB is looking good.... landscapes are a bitch with a pencil... every time that I have tried I have failed miserably. Yours are looking pretty good.

Kfeeras has alreay posted part of what I was going to say. I just have one thing to add.

I find myself alot of the time going for quantity rather than quality because of this sketchbook buisness. I try to draw a whole bunch during the day so that I can post a bunch that night. I think it is important to slow down and focus on what you are drawing. Take your time. Maybe once we learn a little more we can sketch out things quickly (I always liked the quick sketchy style) but since we are somewhat new to this I think that it is important to really focus on our lines and the forms of what we are drawing.

Keep at it, you are doing great and I look forward to your next update!

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks LifeWontWait! You are definitely right with the rushing thing, thats one of my problems too.

-----

I just realized that one of my main problems is that i'm absolutely lacking of basic knowledge. I know, that must sound stupid to hear when you think i'm drawing since about some months and i should have got the basics.

Anyways I started revising/learing basic perspective. Here some crap exercises i did today. Some look a bit smeary because i drew with my gel rollerball.

An ah, i have to get a scanner. so sorry again for the quality.

PS: Just have a question on making Perspective guides in PS CS2. I know that you can make them with the pentool or with vectors. But can anybody give me a suggestion how to get it working with vectors?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. my first try with charcoal. I was more concentrated on the medium then on what I was drawing

2.crap doodle //3. yes, I have to improve my linequality^^//4. from mind // 5. I began with "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", isnt much done yet but I want to finish the book in the next 3 to 5 days. [btw. I found some interesting video which is actually by the author of the book and it seems to be free]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good! I really like the sketch of the bottle. It is looking very three dimentional.

The girls face on the right is also very well done. The only problem in her face that I see is that her jaw line seems a little off. It seems that her jaw starts to the bottom left under her mouth. There should be a chin and then the jaw line starts to go up. I hope this makes since.

Keep up the good work... these are looking good!

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to make some thumbs but as I wanted to go into more details with light/simple vaulues it all looked like crap.
    Anyways here my first try doing these.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, I just have overlooked your comment in the last post. Thanks, you are definitely right with the jaw thing.

------

Tried again and I think I messed them up with adding vaules. Have to practice that. I also got in some unnecessary details in some thumbs and some are quite rough…

//edit: … and I forgot to post that I was in Venice for a few days. Such a beautiful City. I don't know if anybody is interested in some pics from there. Anyways I post some and as you can see i'm not yet good at taking photos.

the first ones are taken photos from my very tiny new sb I got for bday, the followings then acutally some real photos. The second one (the house backyard shoot looking up) remembered me on a painting of el coro, so I captured it
    On the last ones I liked how the water built that nice pattern.

So, I hope you aren't bored by my pics (drawn and photographed).
    Good night

Last edited by N1ck; September 5th, 2007 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep workin up man ,ur doll on the paper is good

my sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you can really see things are improving from the start of your SB. The thumbs look nice and loose, and Venice is nice.

sketchbook: http://c ghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6480
    Deviantart
    Last.fm

"We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars." -Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi N1ck.

You're doing the stuff a begginer should do, so you're on the right path. And it took you only 5 months of drawing to get into it seriously. That's a short period of time compared to how long it took me, hehe.
    I'll say, just keep pushing your skills every day. There's no way to speed up this process =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nick man, we need some updates here!!

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for the bump. To be honest I forgot my sb here a bit… and school began so that keeps me busy too.

BUT , I was drawing everyday. I think I just don't have to show much because I was experimenting most times. As I said before I wanted to finish Drawing on the Right side of the brain but It's hard for me cause the exercises seem so boring… so I just read through all that and did my own practise from refs I like more.
    This probably sounds very undisciplined, maybe I'll go on with the book exercises later.

I don't have something new to show, first have to photograph the pages. So the hands are old (about 3 weeks and from ref) and the vader is from tonight in artrage (with which im quite uncomfortable), just wanted to practise "seeing".

I'll post recent stuff the next days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    Danke für deinen Kommentar. Mann, das ist ganz schön angenehm, jetzt mal was auf Deutsch schreiben zu können
    Ich denke auch, dass der Spaß an der Sache am wichtigsten ist. Die Perfektion kommt dann mit dem Üben, und ich hatte heute sogar wirklich Lust, ein paar Studien zu zeichnen. Ist ja eigentlich schon interessant.
    Ich lese auch schon 'ne Zeit lang an dem Betty Edwards-Buch, aber ich komm auch nicht richtig weiter, obwohl es interessant ist. Ich hab halt noch einige andere Bücher, die ebenfalls sehr hilfreich sind.
    Naja, ich denke wir sind beide auf dem richtigen Weg, wir müssen nur dranbleiben Du hast ja auch schon einige gute Sachen hier im SB.
    Ich wünsch dir weiterhin viel Erfolg beim Zeichnen, ich schau bald nochmal vorbei

Liebe Grüße,
    Johanna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only crap this update but i think i have to show almost all to improve and get critique.

1. from life, struggled with the colors //2. experiment with abstact shape //3-5. crap from refs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, nice updates! I really like the abstract shape and this last portrait you posted. On the portrait I think that the eye looks GREAT and the lips look good as well. The nose for some reason looks a bit off... you should maybe do some nose studies from hogarth or bridgeman?

Once again, nice update and keep us posted!

Sketchbook.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, thank you, but please dont praise the eyes on that portrait, as i wrote it was just a copy. if i would be that level now drawing that from mind i wouldnt show that much crap anymore.

and yes, i will do some studies today, nosestudies sound interesting

thanks again for posting, it really helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1