Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Works of Tayoko

Tayoko is offline Ice Gorrila of Death! Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Works of Tayoko

Hey there countless strangers... Hurray for my first post on CA. I was referred here by a friend currently helping me with my drawings, but like he said, outside criticism is a valuable thing. In essence, I want to become a gewd draftsmen specializing in characters and landscapes. But for my dismay, I am no where near being excellent at anything. Thats where you guys come in, you peeps bash me about how bad i am and all my stupid noobish mistakes, and I benefit from it. Thats not really an excuse for you to flame me, instead I ask for criticism, and if you can spare the time, Constructive criticism. The name is Miguel, you can refer to me as "Tayoko" or Mike, if you wanna make the post a bit more personal. Ultimately I'm a kid trying to ascend into a level much higher then What i am now, and you guys can help me. Thanks in Advance.

I feel kinda bad only posting One entry, but I don't want to give anything old. I'm going to make it a habit to draw something new everyday keeping in mind the criticisms you guys offered before. If you get hooked on bashing me and watching me progress (I hope) keep posted and check this thread out daily. This first drawing is a "jaw less zombie-ish" thing, with a freaky tongue. The readability is bad, I will try to improve on it. What do you guys have to say?

I keep Getting better so dont give up on me ^_^ just jump to the last page and share some crits.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tayoko; June 25th, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome Tayoko!
    Looks pretty nice already, but you really need to learn more basic stuff like anatomy and perspectives. Make some muscle and bone studies and I think you can improve big time.

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey DeJakhalz (I so Copy/pasted your name) thanks for the input, any refrence you recommend to check out? Muscle and bone studies...got it

OK I made a skull keeping your words in mind.

Last edited by Tayoko; June 19th, 2007 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wassa! So, I think this was a pretty decent render. You did well with the line value, using darker lines to pull the forms closer to the viewer and lighter lines to push them farther away. You might want to try playing with structure lines to get a good reference on which to build the rest of the forms. Some good tutorials are:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14119

And:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84105

Hope they help and kudos on first post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff SGR, thank you very much. I will give those tutorials a try, too bad the fist one has tiny letters. Ok so I got a lot to do, Muscle a done study, perspective practice, and those two tuts, sounds really fun!

Here is something I made last night. SGR you ....might.... recognize it...I did a bad job on it so you might not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey! I know that guy! Hah. Not a bad job. The perspective is still a little bit off around the forehead and nose. Good ref, just saw it recently actually and your pretty close . I have to say this is the best one, and I like that you keep your shading loose. Work a bit more on drawing hair. Practice by finding some magazine clippings of people (preferably with hair ) and try to copy them, paying attention to your technique. Great job dood!

Last edited by SGR; June 20th, 2007 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol its not him, this guy looks way too old to be him, think W07 July15. OK so hair...

This first one was a warm up. And the second one was the actual practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep drawing is the key, I can tell you can become way better with good practise.

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I at least want to become proficient in perspective/and at least some, if not most of the human body by the the time i'm 16 (next year). and DJ (can i call you Dj?) I really appreciate the help , you too SGR.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I saw it yesterday outta the corner of my eye, It made me look twice and I realized it was your drawing. These are awesome, keep it up. It looks like your getting the hang of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sigh* I completely ruined the side view skull, I don't know how to use my pencil stroke, hell, I don't think i understand Form for the lighting in the first place... What Am I supposed to do? The second one was an Imagination practice, I tried to draw What I imagined...yet another disappointment...

Why not Visit My Sketchbook and share some critique?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a lil speed paint, I guess to make up for the inexcusable last entry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you were going for some hard top lighting. Your right, the form is hurting a bit.. But dont give up! Something you might want to try is building a simple skull with simple geometric shapes like a sphere, cone, etc. and then work the forms together. Think about lighting as you go building it. Heres a quick demo. You can do this with all parts of the body. Block in form using geometric shapes, think about lighting and try to work out how the light hits the forms differently. The best thing to do would be to get your hands on a plastic skull and set it under whatever kind of lighting you wish. But this works pretty good for a mental exercise. Forgive the rough shapes and stuff, this is just so u get a concept of what I'm talking about.

As to your concepts, keep working on them. Try using the above technique to structure the forms you would use to build these characters.

Awesome speed paint, I'd love to see some more of these. My only crits are that the antenna on his back looks too unfinished, and I would like to see some cleaner lines separating the forms but other than that, GOOOD . Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bobba Fett is that you?

sorry, but hey you see it coming, isn't?, Eh-nyway, hey another Miguel huh?, this site it's just some kind of Twilight Zone, because counting yesterday and now(i'm a Miguel too!, hope you type spanish to a better understand of my comments), there had be two big-ass coincidences.

So let's hang on your work, looks like imagination has treached you, good thing that i'm good at it, some say that common sense and imagination just can't be togheter i say not!, try to think what will give your character a more logic look, and well you know the rest(anatomy, construction lines, etc.) hope that i'll be helpful, i see none replies me or quotes me, i think we need to get used on the quote thing, because i will never notice if i help somone or i just spoil he/she...

well see ya around!

Last edited by Reptil; June 22nd, 2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: grammar
    Oh!, look an old sketchbook of mine

"Your shinning armor and fine words wouldn't get you anywhere!".-Travis Touchdown/No More Heroes

"The world is changing it's size, it's changing to control it with your hands just like a PDA,the world will keep getting small".- Kun Lan/Killer 7

"Our dealings it pleasure to both of us Pious...He lies...As do we all".-Xel'lotath/Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping at my sketchbook! Pretty good start you have here. Keep doing those studies and pay more attention to the proportions, basic shapes and details. Did you draw those skulls from your imagination or from referece? 'Cause i recommend you to use some pics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @SGR: Awesome thanks for the Diagram. So all I have to do is Imagine stuff in a much more basic geometric shape? Cool. Yea I read about getting a Model Skull in one of my E-books, Ill see if I drop by Party city in Philly and get one.
    @Reptil: Yea... I totally saw the coming. Cool to see another Miguel, especially one who is Fluent in Spanish. My imagination is awesome, but the problem is getting it on paper, and thats what the exorcise is for. I read about it somewhere on these forums, it helps you see better with your "Mind's eye".
    @Keenox: Yea i used reference, but the not best reference, Like i Mention before, I had a cartoon drawn skull and a Pirates of the Caribbean poster.

But for fortunately I printed myself out some pics of the skull and Had another try at it, and this time, I used a ruler to keep myself in check of the proportions. And for SGR, i made a super fast, digi paint...of a bloody mouse (no British intended)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was gonna leave this one until tomorrow, but I might not get a chance to post until Tuesday, so Ill give it some extra effort today. Expect more sketches later on the day. Yet another weird speed digipaint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Tayoko!! You have some good stuff going here! I like your strength with pencil, and how you keep improving your strokes!

Now for the nitpicks. I'll only mention the colours, because I find them a little dark. Like, the dark colours that should actually stand out, to me they don't quite do that yet.

In this picture, the armour is nice! I like the reflections on it, and the carvings! With the glowing red eyes, however, I think you could push the saturation and brightness a bit more. See what happens!

Also, some of the colours seem mismatched. For instance, on the bloody mouse, I think I got the mouse part, but the shadow looks rather strange. For one thing, the blending is rather messy. But you could fix that with larger brushes and fewer strokes. For two, you have many hues for the shadow. Depending on the colour of the...table I guess, and the mouse's transparency, light sources, etc., try to build a shadow with those elements in mind!

There's a cool Peer Project thread where you can practice with lighting! It's helping me a lot! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76955

Just to assure you, putting up something crappy sometimes isn't such a bad thing. Sometimes it's good to show how the days went for you and your progress, with even the bad pictures! Don't worry about it!

Keep up the great work, and take your time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great thanks! I'm new around here and I haven't had the chance to explore the forums. That link to the peer project was super helpful, Thanks loads. And Next Time I go for another Digipaint, i'll keep my colors nice and Bright.

I hope you stay posted, I usually have Daily updates.

Last edited by Tayoko; June 23rd, 2007 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for visiting my Sb! From what I see here, I'm sure if you tried to get into Harrison, you could. I was probably that good or worse when I tried out so I don't doubt you could make it.

Just keep on keeping on, obv.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx Drd

Quick sketches of the skull without any reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ey man good stuff you'r posting, really like that kinda dark style you got going on.

Thanks for the comment btw

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just rea;ized how bad the scanner ruined the last Pic...ohwell, I shoulda traced over with a darker pencil. I will remake a better one...this time...taking my time.

@DJ:Yea np, you know how it is... YOu got me, I got you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of crits for a bit, but IM BACK NOW!

Blood Stained Mouse and Skull
    Skull is much better, features are pronounced and you can definitely tell where the light is coming from. Something that helps me when I copy from reference is to quickly (and lightly) sketch to get the idea for the big masses. This also allows you to see and fix and major proportional problems before you get too detailed.
    Mouse is sweet, you have a surprising ability to just pick up and work in this media. I say that because adding color to any illustration can be a challenge, but you achieve this pretty well. You still need to work on cleaning up your strokes and color choice (as mentioned by JazzW) but your doing excellent.

Mechano-Skele Speed Paint
    I like that you limited your time, and for that amount of time spent you got down a lot. As with the mouse, your strokes are still messy. Practice using different brushes to achieve cleaner lines and effects.

Skull Sketches
    Great! This is exactly the kind of practice you need to keep doing. The three I see you need the most work on are the 2nd in the top row and the first two in the bottom row.

Aight, hope that helped. I'll try to be a bit more on time with my comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tayoko-
    keep moving your pencil and doing studies man. good stuff so far, liked the speed paints the most but everything shows promise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Extremely Sorry for the lack of a supposedly "daily" updated sketch book. But for all its worth I'm visiting Up north, Philadelphia's PA staying with my Father, and they don't have a scanner. So I made two speed paint to Post up, Enjoy. I'm still continuing my studies on Paper, I just cant scan them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made the skull last night at around 3 am...And I noticed how bad things turn out when your half asleep...it looks like a Monkey skull....

The girl I made a while back..Ignore the lips

Last edited by Tayoko; July 3rd, 2007 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm what can I say? Not really loving the anatomy... I would suggest more anatomy studies.

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speedpaints: Wolfman and Skeletor!

Nice stuff Tayoko. Once again your speed paints surprise me, you still have a lot of work to do on your technique (brush strokes and such) however the concepts and colors are well on their way.

Skull and Girl with Phone

I agree with DeJakhalz, the girl is a good example of some early line work. But some areas are suffering. She seems too rigid. It's promising, but not quite there yet. I would like to see you revisit this one. The skull is still off on perspective but I can see your getting better with visualizing light and how it interacts with objects.

Keep on workin'! I'm planning on posting some digital WIPS in my sketchbook tonight by around 10:00. (Stuff that I have been working on for the past weeks) Check em out and give me your crits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy wow....I cant believe how stupid I'm feeling right now. I was frustrated on why I couldn't get my strokes and shades so awesomely blended together. But then, I had an Idea:

I remembered watching a documentary On Leonardo's Life and paintings on The History channel. And I remembered they said that he used a transparent version of the color to shade to godly (more or Less). And I kept asking myself How the hell I can do that... and then...It came to me....."YOU MORON LOWER THE "HARDNESS" LEVEL". I feel As if I just took a senzu bean and jumped to Kaioken mode.___Yay___. When I was finishing up the practice I got YET ANOTHER IDEA...add texture. So I Remembered SGR's words on using different Brushes to get What I want... and I did... WEEE

Lol yea...too lazy to finish the other side...so I just faded it to White. I am giong to continue with my Skull studies...only making different angles visualizing a 3d modle in my head. Then move on to the facial Muscles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.