Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Scholastic Art Awards

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm the same -the first from my school. I had never heard of this competition, and neither had my teacher, until I saw it here. I'm from Canada, so the application process was very, very, very confusing. We have different postal codes etc. so things were interesting to say the least.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never actually heard back from my teacher... But did receieve a delightful package saying that I won an ARAL gold key in painting. I've heard that some kids already know national results. Until the package came, I'd pretty much given up all hope...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scholastic Art Awards

Reverend Boyle,

What happens though is that when an accomplished player is forced to choose
    which is more important, the furtherance of his USCF Rating, or winning a specific
    school age section. The result being that the winner of the school age section
    is truly champion only because of the abdication of stronger players. I have a
    hard time understanding who is served in not having a forum in which a young
    scholastic player can accomplish both objectives.
    Reverend Boyle,

What happens though is that when an accomplished player is forced to choose
    which is more important, the furtherance of his USCF Rating, or winning a specific
    school age section. The result being that the winner of the school age section
    is truly champion only because of the abdication of stronger players. I have a
    hard time understanding who is served in not having a forum in which a young
    scholastic player can accomplish both objectives.

Secondly, I do not know about Oklahoma, but I do know that there are
    many chessmoms who simply abhor the idea of little Jimmy playing Huge
    Johnny. The idea that age and chess ability are quite often nonconcurrent
    has not entered their minds. In Texas we simply do not allow kids to "play-up"
    in Regionals, or State events, past their own grade level sections. This means
    that the High School State Champion is in fact a High School Student.
    Secondly, I do not know about Oklahoma, but I do know that there are
    many chessmoms who simply abhor the idea of little Jimmy playing Huge
    Johnny. The idea that age and chess ability are quite often nonconcurrent
    has not entered their minds. In Texas we simply do not allow kids to "play-up"
    in Regionals, or State events, past their own grade level sections. This means
    that the High School State Champion is in fact a High School Student.
    Rob Jones
    Denton, Texas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These Scholastic Scholarships can have benefits beyond just the recognition you receive. The organization has many relationships with colleges that provide other scholarship support. For example, we provided a $3000 scholarship for our summer ACE program at Chester College of New England to a Gold Key recipient. Many other colleges are supportive as well. I believe, for instance, RISD, Parsons and I think Pratt all cooperate. I know that is just a start. Year ago, I taught AP Art and I know those applications can be not fun, so to speak, but there could be a nice pay off if you have done really well.

Also, I have been a judge at the regional level. There is no perfect equation for winning. It is a panel of judges, and there may be a little difference among decisions. Some time ago, similar to art schools seeking very classic portfolios, there is been more acceptance of conceptual work. In fact, it can get a good bit of attention. Still, strong fundamentals will never (hopefully) go out of style. You just have to enter. It is good practice for preparing for submissions the rest of your life.

Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember this competition!!! I won honorable mention in portfolio. It is definitely a really competitive contest and they do have a specific look they're going for, which at times seems very unfair but is the way these things go!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 6