Measuring "Artistic IQ"

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Measuring "Artistic IQ"

How could we design an "artistic intelligence" test?

We could have multiple choice and short answer questions.

Suppose we were to test one's mastery of composition (before formal education). We could ask a question like "which composition has the most movement?". The four possible pictorial answers would consist of only triangles, squares, or a mix of practically anything. People would have to use their artistic instinct and first impressions of the composition (as the test would be timed).

And how about a variation on the inkblot test to test creative vision? Suppose, for the "non-multiple choice portion", someone were given blobs similar to the inkblot. (There would be about ten of each type.) However, they would be printed with very light grey/pastel ink. They would then have to elaborate what they see in the inkblot by actually drawing over it. The grader would be trained to reconize BS- like if people actually followed the blobs or not.

Ok, back to the multiple-choice portion-- how about a strong mind's eye? I've seen the short-term visual memory by quickly displaying a grid with shaded cells, then taking it away and offering a multiple choice of slightly varying pictures of what was displayed. Perhaps this could be taken to a higher level by displaying abstract images to be stored very quickly in memory (not sure how left-brained this is, but oh well).

So, let's hear some more suggestions, in fun, for a artistic IQ test!

Disclaimer: This thread is more into the fun of speculation than trying to really apply anything. I realize that "right-brained intelligence; creativity, etc..." can't really be measured to any kind of truely reliable or useful information for the real world, and I'm pretty sure you were ready to tell me that After all, left-brain intelligence tests can't give a very accurate scope of intelligence either (you can get better at IQ tests with practice), so go figure.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to start with you couldn't make an Art Iq test that was answered in words or multiple choice. you'd have to test visually. which makes it complecated because the very act of testing is not precisely an artistic function.

it would be all in how you asked the question.....

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, true, that's why this is just hypothetical (but also speculative) here.

Anyway, my second suggestion was sort of as you suggest (I think). But this "test" would have multiple facets to it, so my "idea" is far from complete.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i dunno...how about handing out pencils and blank sheets of paper?

"You have 30 minutes...draw!"

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    isn't art as much about emotion as intelligence- intelligence being the wrong wrong here I think...hmmm maybe instinct

the reason that you can get someone's I.Q through those tests is that the problems are designed to test certain skill sets and how you solve the problem. Art is subjective. THe only way that I could think of testing artistic 1.Q is to give a group of people the same photograph and ask they to draw the image paying attention to perspective, rendering, composition
    but who is say that De Vinci is more artistically intelligent than Dali or Pollock or Bacon or De Kooening

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking it's possible to at least determine an inclination towards a career in art with a carefully worded test. Something like these, maybe...

1. You discover there is no toilet paper, so you immediately reach for...

[A] the last piece of pure white acid-free paper in the house.

[B] the pig-shaped jar with next week's food money in it, hoping it's not all change.

2. When painting in oils, you always have a Looney Tunes glass filled with turp, and another with gin next to your pallet. One hour later, your tongue is...

[A] pink.

[B] blue with a touch of burnt sienna.

3. The kids at the mall think you're cool because you have at least 18 different shades of Liquitex on your...

[A] jeans.

[B] Jockey shorts, socks, hair, soles of your shoes, wallet, right ear.

4. Your neighbor was killed last Saturday when he...

[A] tripped on a loose step at your front door.

[B] the wall lined with your reference bookshelves seperated from the house and fell on him.

5. You spot a rough circle drawn on the sidewalk in chalk and you immediately have to...

[A] reach for the garden hose to clean it up.

[B] masturbate.

6. The $6,000 plasma screen TV your parents gave you for Christmas is on and is showing nothing but snow because...

[A] the dog sat on the remote.

[B] you flipped it on its back after you broke your light table.

7. You think nudity is a good thing because you...

[A] have trouble opening your girl friend's blouse buttons.

[B] have trouble drawing your girl friend's blouse buttons.

8. While having a beer on your front steps, a bus full of clowns runs into a farm truck hauling chickens driven by a transvestite in a pink frock, both of which become airborne and smash into the City's sewage plant. You immediately run inside because...

[A] you have to call the police.

[B] you forgot your TD entry was due tomorrow.

9. The largest thing in your living room is...

[A] a shabby couch you found at a flea market.

[B] a rusty 700-pound rusty industrial radial saw blade you found at the dump with a three-inch-square section of incredible brown and red colors in a swirly pattern on it.

10. Your underwear is piled on the floor because...

[A] the dishwasher is broken.

[B] you needed a bigger drawer for your pencils.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    omg Ilaekae, roflmao!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy crap that's hilarious!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's an interesting question. I think that several of the sorts of problems used in standard IQ tests measure "artistic" skills like pattern recognition and spacial relations. I'm thinking specifically of questions where a shape or pattern has to be identified after being rotated. A team of psychologists and artists working in concert could probably devise some sort of test, but to what ends?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j View Post
    i dunno...how about handing out pencils and blank sheets of paper?
    "You have 30 minutes...draw!"
    But if they all draw different things, how can you really rank it?

Quote Originally Posted by tomwaits4noman View Post
    isn't art as much about emotion as intelligence- intelligence being the wrong wrong here I think...hmmm maybe instinct

the reason that you can get someone's I.Q through those tests is that the problems are designed to test certain skill sets and how you solve the problem. Art is subjective. THe only way that I could think of testing artistic 1.Q is to give a group of people the same photograph and ask they to draw the image paying attention to perspective, rendering, composition
    but who is say that De Vinci is more artistically intelligent than Dali or Pollock or Bacon or De Kooening
    Those are good points, and it makes me think that I didn't word my original post well. I had meant that while there are many aspects that can't be measured, there ARE left-brained aspects to art.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    I'm thinking it's possible to at least determine an inclination towards a career in art with a carefully worded test. Something like these, maybe...
    Haha, well done. I even copied part of it and putting it into Google to see if it came from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    It's an interesting question. I think that several of the sorts of problems used in standard IQ tests measure "artistic" skills like pattern recognition and spacial relations. I'm thinking specifically of questions where a shape or pattern has to be identified after being rotated. A team of psychologists and artists working in concert could probably devise some sort of test, but to what ends?
    Yeah, you're onto what I'm saying. I'm not saying that artistic ability and creativity will ever be tested or credited in a standardized way, but there is definitely "right-brained" aspects to art. And I hadn't quite thought of those spacial questions as the same thing but you're right about things like this already existing.

Last edited by Zirngibism; June 19th, 2007 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Haha, well done. I even copied part of it and putting it into Google to see if it came from somewhere."

...aaaahhhh...you're one of those people who likes to waste his time...

[said sweetly, with just the teeniest hint of very mild sarcasm...]

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're sharp.

Last edited by Zirngibism; June 19th, 2007 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

...aaaahhhh...you're one of those people who likes to waste his time...

Mild sarcasm??? If your sarcasm ever becomes mild, my world will be shattered...

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[B] the pig-shaped jar with next week's food money in it, hoping it's not all change.

2. When painting in oils, you always have a Looney Tunes glass filled with turp, and another with gin next to your pallet. One hour later, your tongue is...

[A] pink.

3. The kids at the mall think you're cool because you have at least 18 different shades of Liquitex on your...

[A] jeans.

[B] the wall lined with your reference bookshelves seperated from the house and fell on him.

5. You spot a rough circle drawn on the sidewalk in chalk and you immediately have to...

[B] masturbate.

6. The $6,000 plasma screen TV your parents gave you for Christmas is on and is showing nothing but snow because...

8. While having a beer on your front steps, a bus full of clowns runs into a farm truck hauling chickens driven by a transvestite in a pink frock, both of which become airborne and smash into the City's sewage plant. You immediately run inside because...

[B] a rusty 700-pound rusty industrial radial saw blade you found at the dump with a three-inch-square section of incredible brown and red colors in a swirly pattern on it.

this made my day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae, it's a pitty CA doesn't have a column here. I'd vote you to fill it anyday - thank you sir for that.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Epic Hijacking Ilaekae!

The Day-glo Pterodactyls
    Dierat ~ Leo Ki ~ Volchiha ~ Zweit ~ wilkerson

CharlieHarper.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

[A] pink.

[A] jeans.

[B] masturbate.

First time for a long time i have actuallyed laughed out loud, kudos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    So that they know who sucks the most at basketball I guess. One time, I tried to catch a basket ball, I broke my nose and my thumb.

I don't really like basketball that much.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.