Sketchbook: SGR : Sketches and Practice
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: SGR : Sketches and Practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SGR : Sketches and Practice

Post #1:
    First post in the sketchbook! This is a DSG that I recently did on rough newsprint and edited in photoshop. I liked the texture of the paper, it gave a "grittier" feel to the sketch as a whole. Ideally I would like to post daily progress, but instead what I might end up doing is posting once for the week to save time. Criticism is VERY welcome, I realize that some of these will only be unfinished sketches and hard to critique but tell me if I'm going in the right direction or about things that you see I need improvement/refinement on. Thanks for your help!

DSG 1258 : Sci-Fi: ALTERED PERSON HAS CREEPY COMPLEX OF TELESCOPING OPTICAL SENSORS

Last edited by SGR; June 25th, 2007 at 01:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post # 2:

Here is a quick detail sketch of Carolus-Duran's Lady with a Glove, graphite on rough newsprint. The proportions are a bit off (flattened vertically), I am planning to do this sketch again on whiter paper and with greater contrast so that I don't have to darken as much in photoshop. Here it is in all of it's skethcy glory Comments welcome.

Detail Sketch: Carolus-Duran, Lady with a Glove
    Graphite and chalk on rough newsprint, 15 mins.

Last edited by SGR; June 25th, 2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention media and worktime.

Tayoko is offline Ice Gorrila of Death! Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You pull off sweet stuff in so little time, thats awesome bro.

Why not Visit My Sketchbook and share some critique?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post # 3:

Thanks Tayoko, I appreciate the comment. I am trying really hard to set time limits to my sketches, even if they are master studies. I have been doing small sketches of details of larger paintings, all by eye (without using grids). Several of the same sketch on the same sheet of paper to see what I change from sketch to sketch.

I have, however, also been doing a few larger master studies and I wanted to show you the progress on a couple of pieces that I have been working on in between classes and practice. The proportions seem off, as they were done without absolutely measuring every inch, but I like the effect. I do plan to revisit them taking the time to make sure that my proportions are correct. A lot of these sketches are meant to practice technique apart from learn the material I want to copy in the future.

Detail Sketch (Progress): Diego Velasquez, The Spinners
    Charcoal, 3 hrs.

Detail Sketch (Progress): Edgar Degas, Women Ironing
    Chalk pastel on rough newsprint, 4 hrs.

I'll post updates as I go working on these. Criticism please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post # 4:

I finally got some time this week to post some of my digital media practice. Here are a few concepts I have been working on and will most likely go back and redo. I would like to hear your comments on their direction.

WIP: Girl with Swords
    Digital, 1 hr. 30 mins.

WIP: Cover Art
    Digital, 30 mins.

WIP: RPG Website Art
    Digital, 45 mins.

Thunderdome 07/04/07: The Curse
    Digital, 2 hrs.

Detail:

On the 'Girl with Swords' I noticed right away that her legs are unevenly proportioned. I suppose in an attempt to show motion I exaggerated the proportions a bit too much. I would really like to show more movement.

The last three, 'Cover Art', 'RPG Website Art' and 'Thunderdome 07/04/07: The Curse' kind of show my work flow. I usually work the outlines in black lines of different values, quickly sketching out basic shapes and motion to get an overall feel for composition. I usually do this work zoomed out and then I zoom in to detail specific parts of the piece. 'The Curse' was going to be done fore the last thunderdome and was supposed to be based off of the myth of King Midas and the Golden Touch. You can see my outline and layout process here. After the 'body' of it is drawn in, I move on to color concepts. I also do this part zoomed out at first and then zooming in detailing specific areas as I go. Comments on ways to better my methods are very welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff is great, I especially like the gritty look of your first post. You might consider trying to do some more pictures in that style.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cannot begin to to think How I can possibly critique you, since my eye sees no mistakes But I CAN say that I wub your traditional media stuff

I'd love you see one of your digipaints progress recorded, like with hyper cam...I bet I can pick up on loads of new stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post #5:

Its been a while since I posted. I have done a little bit of progress on a few new pieces and a few progress shots on others.

WIP: RPG Website Art Detail

WIP: RPG Website Art
    2 Hrs.

DSG 1265: Sci-Fi: Explorers in Atmospher Suits Stumble Upon Crumbling Hive

Detail:

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The archer: I really like this one, I know its not finished so i wont worry about the stone stuff she is standing on. But i CAN say that her head look cut off, like if shes missing the whole top of her head.

The old guy: I really like what you did with the hair line on this dude, and how his forehead flows nicely with his nose, which reminds me a lot of the guardian statutes, which is awesome. only 2 hrs on it, so I know its not done

Space lady: The BG looks unfinished so I wont wont comment on it, but I did realize that the way shes sitting look weird. not sure why tho, sorry.

I hope I was more help this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the crits, Tayoko! I've been working on those pieces as often as I can. I agree with your comments on all of the pieces. I hope I get them finished before next semester starts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice sb......
    ya first is Great, i even dont like the Samurai/child one, i dont know why, think there is something wrong whit his nose...it looks a bit too creasy.
    And another Queation....why did everyone draw his girls a red nose? is it so freaking cold in Space? ....ore because of the Vodka?
    edit:* i case of my Avatar, its because of his evel Powerzzz, the come from his Nose *
    dont get me Wrong, like your Style alot
    nothing else to say....

cheers!

Last edited by TheBeast; December 19th, 2007 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post #6

After some inspiration I had a go at these, hopefully I can finish them soon. I was going for a futuristic anti-tank soldier and the second on was a sort of infantry that I was trying to concept. Hopefully the idea comes out a lil more as I work on it. Let me know what you think. More to come...

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A futuristic anti tank gunner will probably be using some fairly sophisticated ammo. You might want to add more evidence of computers, HUD's etc. Other than that...

Great SB, great works here. DOn't know how I've missed it to date. Keep on posting.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.