Sketchbook: Reptil's Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Reptil's Sketchbook

Uhmm...HI!, this is a great place beyond my expectatives, i've a long self-taught way on my artist life, and in that period of my life, i've that hunger that seek us in the middle of a sleepless night(one of my many sleepless nights), and i'm not refering at a normal hunger, is that hunger for knowledge, i knew that i've improved over the years of my existence, but there's have to be more, and then i found this monolith of aplications and fellow artists, dear bethrens, please step ahead on my humble thread and do not hestitate on leave a critique or comment

welcome

Well let's begin, since i want to tell you all where i start to get serious let's show one of my best and oldest sketches: A demon of sorts, the file says White Demon, but that will be pretty obvious isn' it?

It dates on January 2005, and still looks like i had some more or less notions of where i wanted to go, i soon will post some best worked out sketch with all the knowledge i had gathered in these 2 years, see ya around.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my, sorry but that stain of color it when i try something on my Adobe program, please forget it and concentrate on the sketch

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a revamped version, aplicating all the knowledge about proportions and a bit of common sense (those chicky legs will never lift a ribcage of those proportions in my late design, and so it is original, i place something on it, hope didn't look offensive to your eyes fellow comrades), here it is, come on, i like hear your comments and critics a like, and if like creatures wait for another design that i sure worked hard, also i have search for knowledge in the internets, throught wiki, even if the rumors says that is not a viable source...

so here it is, i'd have a problem of scenic panic when i show my doodles, that's why i ask kindly for feedback in order to know if i've to change or continue(i hardly encourage to hispan-dwelling artists to give critics on our idiome, to comprehend and advance), also i will try some doodles on Still's and some excercises about perspective(my worst of my skills).

Oh!, look an old sketchbook of mine

"Your shinning armor and fine words wouldn't get you anywhere!".-Travis Touchdown/No More Heroes

"The world is changing it's size, it's changing to control it with your hands just like a PDA,the world will keep getting small".- Kun Lan/Killer 7

"Our dealings it pleasure to both of us Pious...He lies...As do we all".-Xel'lotath/Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,
    i believe that if you have the idears, everything else is just a matter of hard work and willpower. As my teacher tell all the students in my class, drawing is a basic craft everyone can learn.
    You should post more and just put it out there, stagefright will eventually disapear.
    about your drawings, i like the first one, it looks more dynamic and the pose is more believable. I'd like to see a more complete rendering of it
    keep at it,
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks AndreasT, to be honest, i cannot remember when i stop to draw more vivid stuff, i always end up doing a pin-up or a half assed sketch, but i decided to shake my laziness once and for all, also i have a question for the Admin's, is ok to post some fanart?, because i have plenty of it

Meanwhile, i'm gonna post a draw where i show one of my best skill i have(to me of course), Ink, shading and contrast, this specialy, it is an original, so is watermarked again i ask pardon if this looks offensive, this draw dates on 2005, i'm(as always) gonna revamp it to see how much i advanced, also i'm gonna try a technique that i've developed and i hope that works on creature and monster designers that are getting started on concept art, if you look at my last 2 doodles you'll notice that they're based on some kind of existed animal(or a mix of them) so my point is that i'm gonna separate it in the animals that i based(thing that, when i draw'em, i had do it uncounsciously) to also practice drawing from life, since i live in a city theres no plenty of zoos(and if they're, they're to far of my capital), so i will take on pictures from the internets(blessed, blessed internets), i hope i'm doing correctly and i will try to capture some of the wild life of my surrounds

too long for a chit-chat isn't, so sad that i'm not this talkative on real life

so, here there are, enjoy

"Your shinning armor and fine words wouldn't get you anywhere!".-Travis Touchdown/No More Heroes

"The world is changing it's size, it's changing to control it with your hands just like a PDA,the world will keep getting small".- Kun Lan/Killer 7

"Our dealings it pleasure to both of us Pious...He lies...As do we all".-Xel'lotath/Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hallo!

here we go again, this time a mecha, check out those overrated pistons!, it sure will give it a movility as a snail!, i really wonder how it can stay still without crump down at any second..well, i bring to you 'nother oldie, it date back to 2002, and it is bad polished due to i have to clean up the marging book marks(haha, sp?), but i bring it here because it seems my old stuff is better than my actual one, haha talking about irony when i thought i was "getting" better, again is a original, so it's watermarked.

I encourage thee to critique and/or comment, i really apreciate it

Last edited by Reptil; June 22nd, 2007 at 11:38 PM. Reason: adding sarcasm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my SB, returning the favor now.

I like the 1st and 3rd of your drawings. The 1st one has a good pose, as if it's stalking someone. I really like the way you did the 3rd drawing, with the ink and all, and the concept itself is pretty cool too.

I think the 2nd drawing is a little stiff, and it's pretty flat compared to the 1st drawing. The mecha's design seems cool, but it's hard to see what is what. At this point all parts of the mecha are all drawn with the same line thickness, so you don't really have parts jumping out and creating depth, and points of interest, such as a clearly defined head for instance.

Just keep doing what you're doing, and you should try some anatomy studies too. If you know human and animal anatomy and combine those two, your monsters will look very realistic.

Good luck!

sketchbook: http://c ghub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6480
    Deviantart
    Last.fm

"We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars." -Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your stuff looks like it would hurt me! It's THAT good. The first monster looks awesome. I would love to see it coloured.
    The gangsta guys are cool. The one to the left has sort of wierd highlight places, but he still looks cool
    The machine looks complicated. What would it be for?
    I'de like to see some of those stills sometime
    -Abbie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail the Strong View Post
    Your stuff looks like it would hurt me! It's THAT good. The first monster looks awesome. I would love to see it coloured.
    The gangsta guys are cool. The one to the left has sort of wierd highlight places, but he still looks cool
    The machine looks complicated. What would it be for?
    I'de like to see some of those stills sometime
    -Abbie
    hey that's true, i've placed some very menacing things here, and another true thing is that, i tend sometimes to doodle some cute stuff too, i will post as soon as i find if i can post some fan art, wich will be a shame for me, i guess, because no artist is made of just fanart

Yeah, the gangsta style is very present in some of my "serious" stuff, and the light it's odd becouse i tried to ink it with a very ink-droping fine-point marker, so yeah next time i will try to hit without adding to much pressure

and the mecha....well...it was some kind of ya know, animal-zord thing, it was a great idea back in my young days, now i look at it and well, i guess i just have to work it out heh.

still i'm pummeling myself to draw more realistic stuff(hence my decision of draw from some animal pictures), i will try to end'em up soon, maybe i should just try to sketch'em inestead of bring a exact copy of them...

stay tuned, and thanks for the comment...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flameseeker View Post
    Thanks for dropping by my SB, returning the favor now.

I like the 1st and 3rd of your drawings. The 1st one has a good pose, as if it's stalking someone. I really like the way you did the 3rd drawing, with the ink and all, and the concept itself is pretty cool too.

I think the 2nd drawing is a little stiff, and it's pretty flat compared to the 1st drawing. The mecha's design seems cool, but it's hard to see what is what. At this point all parts of the mecha are all drawn with the same line thickness, so you don't really have parts jumping out and creating depth, and points of interest, such as a clearly defined head for instance.

Just keep doing what you're doing, and you should try some anatomy studies too. If you know human and animal anatomy and combine those two, your monsters will look very realistic.

Good luck!
    Sorry for the delay, the time when i was about to respond'cha my computer crashes.

hehe, to tell the truth, the 1st one is a remake of the same guy, which it seems that a good pose tells more than a inane being pulled from a questionable mind, with obviously, questionable origins.

deciphering your advice it comes to my mind that i've to add shades right?, well, is pretty logic, maybe i will try to add more perspective, in order to place the shading in the right direction, thanks for the help!, the mecha was a inmature try to show something that it could be constructed(thing that i tend to do in every technical aspect of my doodles), hence the out of the concept design, that, most of us artist we tend to figure, your words bring me the idea that i should add again more shading and perspective

this is weird, i can comprehend my lack of prespective but why my lack of shading, contrast is my thing, i suppose that everything is linked, whithout good perspective theres no good shading and then comes the flat design

thanks from the bottom of my heart to share your advices, i will try to accomplish'em(including the anatomy studies) soon and then correct my mystakes.

thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    Hello,
    i believe that if you have the idears, everything else is just a matter of hard work and willpower. As my teacher tell all the students in my class, drawing is a basic craft everyone can learn.
    You should post more and just put it out there, stagefright will eventually disapear.
    about your drawings, i like the first one, it looks more dynamic and the pose is more believable. I'd like to see a more complete rendering of it
    keep at it,
    Cheers
    Sorry for the delay, i will tend to quote every comment to make sure every effort of help will be noticed.

Hmm...i think i make a good choice to start my sketchbook, it was a rush thing(trying to look like the ones from the media, ya know, comics, book pictures[...]) and well, i guess without noticed it, i achive a truly wild pose, i will try to back study my old work, in order to fix my future work

hehe, funny thing when we seek an order of things, knowing that maybe our own origin is a true disorder of causes, leaded by a unseen force out of comprehension...

but hey is just my point...

Thank you so much for the help, i know i quoted you on my 3rd draw post, but this one will make sure you know it...

thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey reptile, thx for dropping by at my sketchbook,
    don't be affraid to show off mate,
    i see you got lots of talent,

and thx for the advise, i be sure to check it out regularly,
    don't leave me an empty page

draw draw draw and you'll get there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by razorreke View Post
    hey reptile, thx for dropping by at my sketchbook,
    don't be affraid to show off mate,
    i see you got lots of talent,

and thx for the advise, i be sure to check it out regularly,
    don't leave me an empty page

draw draw draw and you'll get there
    That surely cheer me up, thanks and i'll be willing to help anytime

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, hallo again

Theres 2 pieces of fanart here, which i hope doesn' get me in troubles

Chattur'gha: Lord of power and the flesh and bone reign

Xel'lotath(a favorite of mine): Mistress of the Mind reign and representant of the insanity

and that's all, i hope all of you brethrens forgive me for post such doodles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess i haven't be forgive'd, what woeful way to restart this mess HAHA.

to redeem my sin, i have working very hard on these stuff, it's a comic story for a contest, a very rewarding contest, but beside the juicy feedback and money prize, i want to astonish the judges, but i find me stucked, what is it?, i'm doing it all wrong, i look at the paper, and it seems right, then i scan it, and it blew my socks off, what a pile of garbage.

so my point is, to show my brethren that i didn' abandon my ways on the fine arts,and seriously bulk-up my strokes, i want that you, (and i'm laser-point you Dzontra!, despiting the fact that i wish that i truly need lasers on my finger tips), critique this, beyond the usual mistakes, i don' mind completly redoing it if it needs so, i will also include some profile pictures on the main characters(which also i want to respectively critique). And just to cut my own writing i want also some tips and helpful comments

without delay...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank for the advice, ill paid more attention on what you said next time i draw.I have nothing much to comment on your sketchbook.
    Your creature design is pretty gd and so is your pencil rendering .
    The only thing that i would like to say is that you need more pratice on human anatomy. Check out Andrew loomis-Figure drawing for all its worth, is a very helpful book.
    Thanks again, happy drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yinteck View Post
    Thank for the advice, ill paid more attention on what you said next time i draw.I have nothing much to comment on your sketchbook.
    Your creature design is pretty gd and so is your pencil rendering .
    The only thing that i would like to say is that you need more pratice on human anatomy. Check out Andrew loomis-Figure drawing for all its worth, is a very helpful book.
    Thanks again, happy drawing
    thanks to pass by, and i'm honored that my advice was helpful, since there have be a lot of comments about it, i will try draw from a book i have at hand(since i live in a place were art is a hobbysit), a medical anatomy book, focused on aiding student's, i hope that help me, i will post soon as i finish another projects of artist superation, like my daily sheet with a daily anatomy study, a daily object from life and a daily scenario, wich i try to resume fast but knowin' me it will end in a weekly than a real daily thing

thanks a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey as i promised(and hardly acomplished) this the Daily Sheet#1

Nutrition Facts:
    Contains 2 sketch from anatomy which come from a book of anatomy(so especific), the book mentioned is just for student aid, nothing artsy, i hope i'm on the right place, since i can't afford any book art

AnObject from life that its a spiked wristband, something i wear daily 'nuff said

And finally a daily scenario, i wanted a school senario, something were i have most of my creative time

well that's all, this really help me a lot, now i can place traces and strokes in the right place, even if i'm using a cartonized style like the comic samples above, well critique away:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for checking out my sketchbook :]
    this new post of yours is miles ahead of the other stuff I feel, and really shows promise. I think you should do more drawing from referance or from life in order to improve at a faster pace. As for crits on the last post - the perspective on the classroom picture is pretty off. I assume this was done from your head, in which case you should try doing the same drawing during a class for instance when you can draw exactly what it is you see. It seems to me this shouldn't be too much of a problem as you did a pretty good job on the skull and collar but thats the best advice i can give for drawing in general and especially for perspective is just to draw more from what you see in life. It will get you far :]

good start to a sketchbook keep it up man practice practice practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Karl View Post
    hey thanks for checking out my sketchbook :]
    this new post of yours is miles ahead of the other stuff I feel, and really shows promise. I think you should do more drawing from referance or from life in order to improve at a faster pace. As for crits on the last post - the perspective on the classroom picture is pretty off. I assume this was done from your head, in which case you should try doing the same drawing during a class for instance when you can draw exactly what it is you see. It seems to me this shouldn't be too much of a problem as you did a pretty good job on the skull and collar but thats the best advice i can give for drawing in general and especially for perspective is just to draw more from what you see in life. It will get you far :]

good start to a sketchbook keep it up man practice practice practice
    hey 3 of 4 awesome!

thanks to pass by, and telling me the right direction, today i will try 'nother reference from the book i'm using.

hehe, the most awful thing is that the classroom picture was, done live, i mean, i was there and i just couldn't pull it off, but i will try on another place from the school, maybe something with more contrast, since shading is my best skill

thanks for the perspective advice, as you can see is the most of aspects i just can't get right, but this will put me on the right track

thank you
    just for the record, it isn't a collar, it's a wristband

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here we are again on 'nother Daily Sheet#2

Nutrition Facts
    Contains

2 pictures from and open envoirement that was
    done on the instance that we have a free hour of class............................................. .................................................. ..........................3kcal

1 picture from reference on a student aid book of Human Anatomy, an incomplete right arm, it wasn' made jsutice since is the arm most of us artist use and trust............................................. ...............................87kcal

1 picture from life, a small CD lifting thing, it supposedly that one can put CD's that doesn' have a box, you know, those we tend to get lying around on the floor............................................. .................................10kcal

that's a one fat daily study isn't it?, i try to make it humorous to pleasure viewers, since this sincerely is a pile of "sheet"

well that's all for today and i hope this will help some amateur and most important, those we grow self intrstructed in the ways of art, as always, critiques are welcome

Last edited by Reptil; October 17th, 2007 at 01:49 AM. Reason: EDIT: i forgot to mention that i throw and extra pic from a small light tube that rise from the floor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we hhad technical dificulties, so yesterday i couldn't post the "daily mess", but now there's all running fine, so let's hit the point, will ya...

Daily Sheet#3

Nutrition Facts
    Contains

1 anatomy sketch, the other end of the bone arm sketch above..........20kcal

1 object from life, a wood-crafted hawk that stands on the closet of my room.............................................. ...........................................60kcal

1 scenario, a hospital waiting hall, it was very depressing, hence the reason why couldn' upload this daily sheet............................................. ....10kcal

well i hope this provide enough info to base your critiques, well will seeing ya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this place looks more lonely than Mexice after the springbreak, well since i'm not here to make social analogies i will post some excercises and assignments from this thread and this one aslo i will really apreciate that my artist companions, especialy those who have the knowledge, help me in this, well here we go

fist sketch is about a goldfish, one assignment was to draw something from life and add something from imagination, since i was out of ideas of what to do with a goldfish sketch, i thought demonize it will pull the trigger, and sure it does, i will try more of these

second sketch is about some straight line excercises wich really told me how basic figures should be made (in the goldfish sketch, i used my WHOLE arm to draw circles and it worked out better than with my wrist).

well that's all, "see you on the other side"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.