CHOW#77 - Guest Host: Coldrum Topic: Ice Druid - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CHOW#77 - Guest Host: Coldrum Topic: Ice Druid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

@

joe12south: I will be adding highlights on his left arm and the lower body, yes text is bit prominent though. Kind of liking it, may be itís to distractive. Thanks
    For your entry - the twists of the elbows are kind of bugging me, please fix them. They are too soft and round.

scottmcd: thanks for the critic

evil_sloth: I like the sun rays and coldly dawn, is it a dawn or dusk?
    Phuzion: just loved the expression, and frozen cold veins, itís awesome
    trevor: confident pose!8)

evildisco: wow, fox is looking too innocent
    kreator: where is your entry?????????

Propishus: nice detailed sketch, his right arm vanishes suddenly.

thanos5: nice start, her right breast is looking odd; also consider a
    variation of her prop. She is just holding it add some emotion.

Oblio: I like the ď!Ē over the fish. Nice proportions

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Santa's nephew the ice druid is a man with healing powers, some say he has a bit of a tempor. Not surprising when you live in a place where its that cold. Sometimes at night when his feet are hurting he cryes out... HARHARHAR.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to give a big tks to Joe12South for taking the time to give crits to all entries, not just a select few...
    Not to flame the thread.. just have a point to bring up...
    I have had a policy from the begining that I give very few crits as I dont feel I am in any position to tell anyone anything about their work until I can perfect my own... people would look at my entries and go " yeah but who are you...your entry sucks" hehe... perhaps I am just being too humble and should provide feedback anyways...
    I can tell you though that everyone who puts an entry in these forums is looking for help, advice, feedback, and wish to improve their skills.
    I have noticed over several of these exercises however that there are way to many entries that could use the advice albiet "work your color scheme", "focus your studies on anatomy" etc. yet they go the whole thread w/out anyone making note of their exsistance.
    Its not mandatory to provide feedback...
    so a big Kudos to those who do take the time... we ALL appreciate your comments and wish to learn from them... Joe12South I agree with your points, and hopefully have made adjustments accordingly.

Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow great entries all round. Heres my take on this weeks chow topic

Take 2 on this one, played around with proportions abit. Image updated;p

Updated!

Oblio: hopefully the pose is fixed;p

propishus: yup i agree, colours needed to be pushed more too thanks.

joe12south: fixed the knee, hope its looking less sussage now, thanks for the feedback

Phuzion: Thanks for the constructive crits mate, helped me out heaps. Was intending to touch it up little more too Kept the sickle at her naughty bits though

Anubis: holy crap !!!

Last edited by Rodimus25; June 25th, 2007 at 07:30 AM. Reason: proportions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I`m bored out of my mind.

quick WIPing idea:

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, first of all, thank you so much for inspiring me to participate! I hope I can start doing it on a regular basis...here's my first wip, sketch and basic hues layed down

UPDATE 23rd June 07 I'm struggling with the strong lighting eminating from his hands (he's meant to be casting a fire spell of course!)...it just doesn't feel magic...any help would be fantastic thanks! Oh and thanks for the ppl who posted comments! I'm trying to stylise animals better, I have to practice on them more

Last edited by IronhideNT; June 22nd, 2007 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP-
    This is my first try at the chow...there is a human character and the polar bear is his transform...enjoy

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by HFix; June 21st, 2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: more text

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got other stuff to be be drawing so this'll be it for this week. Cheers for all those who gave crit especially oblio and phuzion, hope i sorted out those issues!!!!

Sellis

Last edited by Sellis; June 24th, 2007 at 08:15 AM.

Oblio is offline Pointless. 1st CA student. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick coments

evil_sloth - i LOVE your collors.
    phuzion - thank you my firend - there is still work to do - i messed up this image on and on for hours - and then almost erase it all and .. rebuild to .. well.. the current wip state

your sketches alone are kicking serious ass - i want that freedome in my lines

sony - head seems too big for the shoulders - also - dont hide the rest of the body - watch proportions.

woodland walker - proportions ...
    trevor - umm.. good picture - weak concept one hand seems huge
    evildisco - his right hand seems to pop up now - volume versus the flad clothing. great pic though.
    marc malone - your values are not coherent - do the hands i couldnt stop noticing the spirals
    peter john - can't wait to see it comming to finish.
    alejjo - proportions - volumes
    fuurioku - great concept - cant wait to see it final
    skolld - clean it up - perspective is too strong
    nightmare - it;s flat - you can try to clean up and add volume or go for a full cartoony stile and flat it out - cell shaded so to speak
    joe12south - no pictures sire. poser renders either. photoshop filters.. umm.. ok - maybe still that one will not go to the poll. time to draw
    joesolo - difficult pose - it has issues. try something more accessible maybe?
    thanos5 - nice
    rodriguez - watch the axis .. and proportions.
    oblio - u suck. doesnt look like druid. messy.

whiteee looking for more
    tommoy - wird perspective - not sure it works - too manny small (very smal) heads in the picture wolf's head seems detached
    rodimus - difficult pose - lots of perspective issues.
    chuck - come on.. you can do better .. out of your boredom

ironhide - welcome - FINISH IT!!! full collor - all cute!!
    hfix - proportions (that hand is way too big for example) - watch your shapes and volumes.
    sellis - nice pose and composition - all values seem very crowded as range - lacks contrast for now and seems a bit flat - i know you'll pull it out.

thx.

edit - i know that hand is too big too dizzy to fix now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sony View Post
    joe12south: ... For your entry - the twists of the elbows are kind of bugging me, please fix them. They are too soft and round.
    Good catch! I'll fix when I tweak her right hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you Oblio... I made some adjustments... wish i had a model sitting crosslegged in front of me! ... I will be traveling the rest of the week/weekend.. so this is it for me... good luck to everyone.

Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all - I updated my spot on page 1 and would love any C&Cs at this point. What're the structural problems? TIA.

Trevor - Glad I could help in the profound department. Couldn't think of anything else to say, but it is going well.

Take a look at my series of in-depth critiques, like this one of Salvador Dali's hidden portrait of Lincoln.

Scott's Sketchbook: Check out my sketchbook. Will swap C&Cs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here’s my Big Critique. You might want to take a look at my work before you take my suggestions to heart.

Graphuji: Like the robes. The figure seems too attenuated for the face, or, put another way, the face seems too naturally proportioned for the attenuated figure.

Tical00111: The sketch is a solid start. The hands and forearms are huge. Perhaps it is a sylistic thing? If it is you should punch up the hair and robes to Manga-level dynamism. Right now the feathered hair and flowing robes are at odds with those meathooks.

Evil_Sloth: Beautiful, beautiful, light in the background, you came up with a great design on the ice crystal headdress.

Acro: The skis are an interesting idea, but he may need some form of propulsion in order to cross the tundra. Druidic ski poles?

Phuzion: Gorgeous. It’s the abdomen that really sells the image for me. The rolls across the belly, and the highlights on the ribs are beautiful, nuanced touches.

sony: Good job wrapping the eyelids around the eyeballs. The hand seems a bit stumpy coming out of the bracelet.

timothee: The second pose is very dynamic. If the right hoof was right in the viewer’s face while the left hoof stayed put it would add even more excitement. Nice antlers.

Woodlandwalker: Your piece is one of the few that has a strong religious feel (i.e. that frost covered Stonehenge, the icicle candles). I think her hair would be affected by the swirls of wind-even if it is ice hair.

CreativeSmugBug: I’ll wait till things are a little further along ; ).

Trevor: Beautiful. If you’re counting votes I don’t see a conflict between her tranquil expression and the bear’s roar. Cute pink nose.

Evildisco: Again, fantastic piece. Such a strong geometry to the figures.

Mark Malone: This image really needs a worm’s eye view to impart the scale of the druid to the viewer. I like the way the Inuit in the image are running willy-nilly though, really tells the story.

peter_john: Big fan of the ghost elk/dark hair approach. Once again, nice antlers.

Alejjo: The icy shoulder pads and fur-trimmed robe are great touches, I’m intrigued by the shape behind the druid. The figure would seem less static if he stood at a slight angle to the viewer.

fuuryoku: Creative idea, well executed. Your piece uses the viewpoint to great advantage. Perhaps slightly longer legs?

Skolld: Another piece with a strong religious atmosphere. It is early yet but the pec/shoulder/bicep relationship could use some attention.

Nightmare28: Lots of clever little details (does the owl live inside his headdress?), another piece that could benefit from the figure being moved to a 3/4 view.

joe12south: You handled the North Wind puffed out cheeks and the gossamer robes very well. The “digital” quality of the background is a bit distracting.

Scottmcd: A lot of expression in the face. I still would like to see him with a bottle of ice wine (even if he is no longer a lush). Don’t cheat out on that left hand, have it nailed down before you start to ink! ; )

JoeSolo: Like the specificity of the details across the chest. Since she is looking back her right hip would open and her foot would point more toward the direction she is looking.

thanos5: The shaggy bangs covering her eyes are an alluring touch. Her legs are very attenuated (almost fashion illustration), that’s neither good nor bad, but the whole figure should hold to the same sylistic choices.

Rodriguez: Great rendering on the face. The left hip and leg need to sweep back to square up with the shoulders and the left thumb should wrap around the front of the staff.

Oblio: The rock candy/icicle backpack is attention-grabbing touch, you set it up nicely with just a few brushstrokes. Is that a walrus behind the figure? If it is then it is the coolest… familiar… ever.

vainfantasy: The icicle hair and kabala tattoos are great choices. The hands and feet are large enough and bubbly enough to belong on a cartoon character (such as Mickey Mouse) while the head belongs on a figure of more heroic proportions.

Justin Oaksford: The eyes already look haunting peeking out from under the cowl.

whiteeeeeee: Great feel to the piece, the character looks so solidly and completely bound up in all that gear. The lower legs seem just a bit short, but I might be wrong.

Tommoy: Choice details, the curving horn, the emeralds, the wind etc. The face seems a bit smooshed, off axis maybe?

rodimus25: The white hair is a perfect choice, I like the way the left hand is receding into the background. Maybe mix some of the sky color into the arm to complete the effect?

Chuck,mate.: Very Norse, it reminds me of Rackham’s Ring illustrations. It seems like wind should be affecting the leather thongs between his legs more.

IronhideNT: An example of carrying the proportions through the entire figure, a great three-head cartoon figure with lots of energy. I don’t like the dog, however, it is too generic.

Hfix: That smug expression on the polar bear is a wonderful moment, especially compared to the vaguely angry and confused expression on the figure to the left. You might consider putting more emphasis on the lines underneath the abs rather than the line running down the middle of the body.

Sellis: Lots of dynamism in the image already, nice specificity in the stitching. Is the head too far above the shoulders?

I hope I didn’t miss anyone. Apologies for any typos, hopefully you still get my meaning. Gads, joe12south, I have a new appreciation for your efforts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

eep!

Ok so here goes, CHOW try numero 2! Missed out on the last... my laptop died and my computer resides in my brat of a brothers room. SO, Im hoping to finish this! Absoloutely crapping myself about adding colour though, the tendancy to make it flat is worrying

anyway some points to add: Going to sort out that naff stave and headdress when I tidy it up and colour some *prays*

fantastic work so far! My favourites right now are trevor, phuzion and Sellis. My god Sellis, the drama in that piece is just incredible.

anyway my non-dark image for once

Updating with a colour sketch tonight. Gonna sort out the details and positions tomorrow, tired!

Updating - sorted out the pose some more and added a leg! Only now it looks like her other leg was cut off and I cant resolve it

Last edited by Daray; June 23rd, 2007 at 02:31 PM.
    "I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this! Have a nice day."

...Some sort of sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oblio,
    3D for reference only. Got's the sketch and and the full rez final to prove it. ;-) I think you're noticing the multiple application of the filters, it did give it too much of a synthetic feel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tweaked right hand and left elbow on mine (page 1)

Tical00111,
    right hand: The position of the thumb behind the pinky feels awkward.
    left hand: Feels awkward because the first knuckle is undefined. i.e. fingers are sprouting from the palm.

Evil_Sloth,
    Lookin' better and better.

Mark Malone,
    Like the "camera" angle better, but the knew pose is a bit static. One of those big ol' arms raching out into perspective more add more drama.

Whiteeeeeeee,
    Did I get all the "e"s in? ;-) Nice line work, solid shape. Looks very much like a hunter, without much druid vibe.

Tommoy,
    Nice feel to the brushwork. Wolfy's legs are the only point that really stand out as feeling off. (Especially his right front one.)

rodimus25,
    Nice energy. Her left leg looks a bit like a sausage. The curve is too extreme to not have any anatomy to the knee. Her left hand needs some more fingers indicated, as well. You don't have to noodle them to death, just a stroke or two to hint at them.

Chuck,mate,
    The angle lends some nice energy. Having the strong focal point (lightning fingers) leading right off of the page might be a problem, compositionally speaking.

HFix,
    Check the proportions on the human side. His head and arm feel too large for his torso and legs.

Daray,
    I really like the idea. Consider resting her left hand on her bear, to support her weight some.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my little something. Still a WIP. Story later.

Progress.

Finished product.

As the high-druid of the North tribes, Elhram Drehn can take partly transform himself to a snow fox to better cope with the freezing winds in the ever snowing lands. Being the high-druid he has almost as much power as the tribe high chief, he has a robe different then the average North druid - this because of his status.

High druid Elhram Drehn is always acompanied by his faithfull snow fox Serla, a creature kind and stronge enough to be his friend and bodyguard.

Real size:

Last edited by LORD M; June 25th, 2007 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of cold looking characters so far, I don't understand why
    a women or druid would be topless in the snow, guess I am getting old.

Last edited by ashton; June 21st, 2007 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not finished yet but cc welcome. Wanted to practice rendering skin and happy with it but im inclined to agree with Ashton, thinking the topless girl is a bit overdone, for me its very feminine and fitting with the natural power idea but the poor girl must be freezing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits guys, ll see if i have some time free this week to work back into it, its def a tough one to pull off!!!... damn should have just stuck to a simple 3/4 pose;p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    joe12south , thank you for the crit it was helpful.For what you asked me , the whole piece is made in photoshop cs2, water edged brushes and some splatter texture I made.

Last edited by thanos5; June 22nd, 2007 at 05:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh heh, believe me, I thought while I was drawing mine, "Damn, she would freeze to death!" But there are two approaches to this:

1. She's got some sort of elemental forces that lend her immunity to the cold.
    2. She has a heavy cloak, but throws it off when she unleashes her powers.

I'm going with the second one. I could have thrown a heavy fur coat over her, but that doesn't really lend itself to showing much design, so this is what she looks like under her bear-skin cloak. It didn't fall within the picture frame, so it didn't make sense to paint it in

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh im with you Phuzion, (props btw, fav so far) I figured shes got some spooky powers and shes just plain tough anyway having said that im in the middle of giving her a big fur to fling off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the reason why so many have been doing topless girlies is the simple fact its the spirit of freedom with a druid. So really I dont think she gives a monkey if she's going to freeze her bits off! Hail to the nudists!

"I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this! Have a nice day."

...Some sort of sketchbook...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am shocked....Whiteeeee, your sketch is almost identical to my design, including the hanging tails & super furry boots! Damn you! Now I'll have to make up something else

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa people, topless is good! The skins a canvas in itself....i might tattoo the living s£%$ outta my guy!!!!

Thanks for the Crits so far everyone.

Daray-Thanks for the kind remarks.

Sellis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits, Oblio; indeed i used the destort transformation maybe a little to fanatic, that made the head to small too. Also the head of wolfy was reattatched.Propishus; i think the transformation caused the weird axis too. Joe12south, didn't use reference for the body but need to, your right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mine is in the category of #1 in phuzion's logic
    and oblio----BOOOOOOOOO! hahahaha shes not done yet there is still alot more to her
    and honestly i just wanted to paint something pretty for once so no anger no blood no demons just......pretty!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naked in the snow is fun, just ask Mr. Crazy O' Ice Druid here. Full frontal nudity is for you Lukavi! Take that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Graphuji: It's a good start, but I'm missing the feeling of form under the robes. It's sometimes good to draw the figure first, then put the clothes on top of them. Also, watch the feet. The feet are what give the figure weight in relationship to the ground, so if they're neglected, the robs the figure of much of it's life.

tical00111: The robes are working nicely, and I like what's happening in the upper body as well, but yeah, the hands are giving you issues, and the legs/feet are causing problems as well. A little reference for the legs would help greatly. There are random folds you have going on that make no sense. Also just look at your own hands in the mirror, or take a picture of them for reference, it makes a huge difference.

Evil_Sloth: As people have mentioned, the lighting in beautiful. I'm having some issues with the posing, as it seems a little too awkward, and maybe a little too random. I know it's too late to change it now, but it's something to think about for future reference. Make sure the pose reflects the character's character. What would your specific character do, even if they were just standing in front of the camera? Lastly, the character is not in the same perspective as the landscape, which is sort of keep it from sitting in the space. Still, you captured a great mood with this piece, I really like the design of teh character.

Acro: I'm a fan of stylization, but you have to sell us on it. Right now his head just looks too small for his body, and one hand is much larger than the other, when both feet are almost the same size. Pay attention to the posing/posture of the character. When I did animation we had is called a Power Center for each character: If you imagine a ball floating in front of a fat person's belly, and strings go from all parts of their body, through their belly and attach to the ball... it pulls their weight through their belly and makes it stick out. A hero's Power Center is usually in front of their chest, so their chest sticks out... a nerdy char might have in front of their nose so it pulls their head forward. Keep that in mind when designing characters.

Phuzion: "Dear Waterboy, eat shit and kill yourself. *signed: Everyone."

Sony: Remember you don't have to color something to do good design. You can spend more time on the black and white, and forget the color. There's some nice textures, but no design to speak of, so next time, even if you only have a couple of hours, just spend time on a nice drawing and leave it at that.

Timothee: If you break it down to the most basic elements, you have an elk/deer in a bath robe. I understand simple design, especially as it pertains to animation, but beyond the costumes and such, there is shape design. Look at the Disney/Pixar characters. Many of them are very simple, but their shapes are fantastically considered, and this is what factors into a design like yours. Detail doesn't really mean much without that shape design, so you might consider pushing it further. I do like where it's headed though. It has a Miyazaki feel, and I love everything that guy does. Keep it up!

Woodlandwalker: Again, break it down the to basic elements, you have Iceman's sister. Remember this is about the character design, not a full illustration. I would really spend time thinking about the design in the future. I like the mood you got, and damn does it feel cold there, and that's great, just push it further.

CreativeSmugbug: I don't really think I can say anything until I see what you pull out, if you have time. Right now, all I will say is that it looks like a woman in a white dress, and doesn't give me the feeling of Druid, Pagan, nature oriented, or anything. Just something to think about.

Trevor: Badass man. I like that it doesn't look anything like a Polar Bear, cause it makes me think it's a white Grizzley, and that's cool. I would've liked to see her grabbing onto the bear's fur or something, cause those animals roll back and forth a lot when the trundle along, and she wouldn't be able to stay on without a hold on something, or a harness. I love the mood you got. It's very storybook fantasty. I believe that she could walk around in that weather dressed as she is and not freeze, like Ridley Scott's movie "Legend". Well done!

Evildisco: I love it. The shape design is great, and the mood is great. I kind of want to see a little more snow, and maybe some of it settling on his shoulders or something, just an idea. But I'm diggin' the rendered/simple mix. Keep rockin' it man!

Mark malone: I like the idea, but I'm not sure how an ice giant translates into an Ice Druid. Perhaps the Druid can transform into the ice giant, but then you need to sell us on that, and show it. So while I like the mood of the first one, I think it misses the mark of the "assignment". Still, it's nicely done, so enter it anyway

Peter_John: I really like what you have so far, especially the face. It has a unique character to it, but still has the anime feel. Most anime makes all the faces look the same, so I love the uniqueness of this one. I hope you finish it. Careful with the legs and feet going out to equally like that, and watch the angle of the feet. They don't feel like they're on the same plane as the ground, and the equal footing takes away from the feeling of weight.

Alejjo: It's a good start, but still too early for a crit. Keep pushing it and pay attention to the mood.

Fuuryoku: I like this one, but the pose is very very static. It feels like a statue. If you could have incorporated some twist and tilt in the torso, it would have added to the weight and movement. Having that hand on the right just hanging there, takes away from the action. I think she's just pointing out a certain species of flower or bird to her friend. That's what it looks like. If you want a sense of action, they need to feel a little off balance, cause that's when the action occurs. It's not when they put both feet down, it's when one foot is about to touch down so they look like they're about to fall, but you know they'll put their foot down in time. But I'm diggin' the design. I'm a fan of centaur variations.

Skolld: Also too early to say anything. Keep going!

Nightmare28: I like the standing one more. I think the "dynamic" one is not successful. The special fx are too dull, and the pose does not feel considered. You don't need a dynamic pose to sell a character design. If you go for dynamism, you need to hit it on the head, or it will not work, and will detract from the image. I like the design, but more thought should be given to separating the forms. It feels like a mush of colors right now. If need be, use linework to separate them, if you're not sure how to do it with rendering. We all love linework... cause it kicks aaaaaaass! Go with the standing one!

Joe12south: I like the mood, but I wish more thought would've been given to the actual design. There are ways to make a nude figure much more interesting, and more unique. And I'm really not sure what she's doing... or at least, I have no idea why she's doing it. That's where a description comes in. I would write a character synopsis for the final post. I think you can take the jewelry/props/clothing that you have right now, and make it more unique, and more Druid-esque. Keep going with it, cause I'm diggin' it so far.

Scottmcd: It's early still, but be careful with those hands and feet... foot. They are way too small, and it doesn't look like you're trying to stylize in a way where that works. Also, you might give him some trinkets or something that is unique to him.

Propishus: I really like this one. Rework that hand because it's just a broken shape right now, and don't turn the feet so far out because you really couldn't stand like that for more than a few seconds. Other than that, I like the design and the approach. Keep at it!

Joesolo: I can only comment on the pose right now, and it's sort of rediculous. It looks like she's in a nightclub gettin' down right now... with no one else on the dancefloor. Make sure the pose has a purpose, and then make that purpose apparent.

Thanos5: go with the second one, but change the angle of the front foot to be more like the foot in the first one. It looks more medieval, and I don't think they had platforms back then. If you want it to be modern, than give us more clues that put it in today's time. But I really like it. I think it's getting there. Maybe just a little bit more that makes her a Druid. Remember they were/are very nature oriented, and there's a ton to draw from there. Great progress so far!

Rodriguez: I would use a little more reference for this one. The pose isn't quite working. It feels a little stiff, but more than that, the shapes are just not accurate. Pay more attention to the thigh/hip area, the arms/hands, and watch the breast size. Also, be careful about how tightly the garments cling to the form. I don't think they had laytex or spandex back then, so you're going to have to make the garments a little less clingy I think.

Vainfantasy: I think it needs more consideration. Don't neglect the bottom half. I know you're not done, but if you do finish, just make sure to pay attention to every aspect of the characeter. I like where it's going so far, though I don't know about the anime hair. It doesn't seem to fit this character.

Justing Oaksford: I like it so far. I want you to finish it!

Whiteeeeeee: I'm really diggin' this one. I like the feel of his pose, I like the linework, and I like the mood of his face. I hope you finish it because it could be a really strong piece.

Tommoy: That head is veeeeery small. But more than that, I'm missing some more solid forms. Everything feels very soft and mushy right now. This has largely to do with the lack of attention to edges. Our focus is drawn to the horn because it is the only thing with a crisp edge, so it causes a lot of contrast with everything around it. Since it's round the edge should probably be a little softer anyway. Also, that brown/ochre color is way too distracting and is making the colors feel very dirty. Lastly, you have a dark shadow under him, but it's in the middle of a snowstory, when there really wouldn't be much shadow info, yet you have much of the image going to full white. It's distracting. Choose the point of full white very carefully, cause they will make or break a painting. Look at John Singer Sargent for that, he was the master of using whites.

Rodimus25: Go with the second one, it's better. I don't know about the placement of the sickle at her naughty bits. And right now you have random light sources and random shadows. Her weapon arm is lit from the left side, but her face is lit from the right, and it makes no sense, and makes her face look like it's dirty, not in shadow. Also, pay more attention to the anatomy. Her armpit area is totally neglected, and her breasts are much to high up on her torso. Just some things to consider.

Chuck,mate: Bored or not, you better finish it! I'm diggin' it bigtime right now!

IronhideNT: Whoa, those colors are really not working. You have a warm rust right next to the blues and no transition betweenthem. And they're the same value which is throwing it off even more. If you want it to feel more like fire, an easy start is to do in on a separet layer with that layer set to "Color Dodge". Other than that, you just need to paint more. Keep pushing it!

HFix: The anatomy needs a lot more love. Also, that blue background is not helping anything. I don't know if it's the style or what, be he feels more Aztec/Native American, than he does Druid. But I would keep going with it. If you're not comfortable painting it up, I would just keep it to black and white. Keep pushing with your painting, but start painting in black and white, then move to limited colors, then to full color.

Sellis: I like where it's going. It's still a little too plain I think, but we'll see where you take it. I have confidence.

Oblio: I think it's looking better. Be careful with the shadows. They're getting too colorless and it's making the image feel a little muddy. Give the shadows a little more saturation, and it'll help a lot, especially if you make sure to reserve the most saturation for the midtones. Keep at it!

Daray: I like it, but it needs to be pushed further. I'm not sure what's happening with her skirt, the folds are too haphazard, and I think the skirt could use some more detail, as well as her coat. We'll see where you take it.

Lord M: Holy ultramarind blue Batman! I think the garments can use some more details to make them unique, and I'm really not sure if Druids had access to such colors. Remember that blues and purples were generally very expensive and reserved for royalty, and the Druids were not very materialistic and so were not rich in that sense, or at least did not generally care for such things. Just something to consider.

Ashton: It's a good start, it just needs more work. Pay a little more attention to the hands, and I think it's off to the races.

Punkbound: I think the weapon arm is too awkward and straight, and the head is much too small. Also, be careful with all the soft shading, it's taking away form the solidity of the forms. And that background is really detracting from the image, you might want to reconcider it.

Joe12south: Another one? I like this one alot! Heh heh, it has a lot of character. Not sure it much design, but the character makes up for it. I would still rework the hands and the foot on the ground, then you'll be in better shape.

Okay! That's it, I'm beat. Keep up the good work everyone!
    Cheers,

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.