Ares Illustration
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ares Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ares Illustration

First time posting. Almost finished, but looking for critique.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First, I don't get the meaning at all.

Second, there are a number of oddities; the eye slits in his helmet make it look like his eyes are 1 cm apart and on his forehead, his torso is too short, elbows should fall to the waist and wrist to the groin, his knee anatomy is wrong, his arms are of different lengths, and his sword looks like something from an anime while his armor looks like your traditional greek affair.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    First, I don't get the meaning at all.
    War for oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville
    Second, there are a number of oddities; the eye slits in his helmet make it look like his eyes are 1 cm apart and on his forehead, his torso is too short, elbows should fall to the waist and wrist to the groin, his knee anatomy is wrong, his arms are of different lengths, and his sword looks like something from an anime while his armor looks like your traditional greek affair.
    Ditto.
    Also:
    The rendering is a mixture of too mushy and too sharp. You need to work on your edges.
    The direction of the pile of skulls in the corner leads the eye right out of the pic.
    I know his other foot is supposed to be in the water, but it just looks cut off. Partially because the surf in the foreground looks like grass.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    War for oil.
    God I'm stupid. Seriously, I thought "Since when does Ares care about the environment...."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Couple of crits and suggestions. Some of it might be nitpicking, but I think some of the major issues are covered already.

There's a curve in his sword, not sure if that was intended. Plates on his legs don't seem to match the rest of his armor. Alot of movement in his cape, the sky and smoke, clothing, sea, but not in his hair. I think the lower part of his helmet is a bit big, he won't be able to look down like this
    Elwell mentioned the foot, I thought it was in the ground aswell. I personally think its also because you'd expect the sword to sink deeper in the water/sand than you'd expect it to sink into grass/earth. He also might just be holding it up, but as you can see it hit the soil, you'll assume he's not.
    The platform in general looks a bit vague, but the towers and pillars are quite sharp.
    And last, some of the waves on the left look a little unfinished.

Just my thoughts, see if you can agree

Last edited by Anthis; June 17th, 2007 at 05:19 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits guys! Some good insight on certain things that didn't look right to me......especially the drawing and anatomy.
    Rhineville, Anthis- The sword was the most unfinished part but wasn't supposed to look curved....oops!

Elwell, Anthis- I think you guys touched upon something that I struggle with and that's the softness or sharpness of something....particularly the edges. I don't like the edges on Ares...too sharp in places but I didn't want to push him too far back.....and with the platform and the smoke... I did want to push those elements back, but I agree it looks mushy in places......any advice about this!?

Elwell, I saw your Avatar at the society of illustrators a few months back...Awesome!, was my favorite piece!!! This is why these forums are so great...who knew!

Thanks guys!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.