Need Seasoned Advise
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Need Seasoned Advise

OK, so I have been in the fine art field for 20 some odd years to some good marked success. I have been happy with the level of sales and exposure I have achieved over the years. However, I am one to always seek a new challenge and I have been attempting on my own to break into film or gaming concept design. I have had a few breaks but would LOVE to make it a more, how should I say, permanent part of my life. In other words, what I have been doing to put myself out there has not worked.

Thus, if any seasoned professionals have some time to throw away and can take a peek at my portfolio and perhaps point me down a better road than that I have been traveling upon, I would be most appreciative. My site can be found at http://www.johnua.com.

Thanks in advance for your time.

JUA

P.S.

Thank you all for the help I have received from this site in the past.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have a lovely fine-arts website, but it is too narrowly focused for commercial arts. I suggest making a completely new website with less redundancy that is specifically for getting yourself hired as a concept artist. (And you can link the two together for those who really want to get to know your work.) The following is what I suggest if you specifically want to get a job as a concept artist for games:

-Diversify your subject matter. A concept artist needs to be able to draw every character, monster, object, and environment that goes into a game.

-Show more than one style. When you go to a game company you will have to adapt to the style of the project. By demonstrating that you can successfully change styles, that makes you a better candidate.

-Show a range of finish. That is, show that you can do quick, communicative sketches as well as finished pieces.

-Donít hide anything in your images. This includes hiding forms in shadows or outside of the image, or having hands and faces turned away from the camera or cropped out of the image. As a concept artist you will be making art that other artists will be using as blueprints. Composition and emotional poses are typically less important than clear communication of forms.

-Demonstrate that you can work digitally. Oils take too long for this sort of work, they canít be easily iterated, and your coworkers wonít want to breathe the fumes. Other analog mediums can potentially be used part of the time, but PhotoShop (or a similar program) will be your main medium.

Good luck!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seedling,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Great info, I guess I should have known all this but your post really drove it home. Loved your painting a day posts also.

I have a new born here at home and a scheduled solo exhibition in Los Angeles in the spring of next year. Having the fumes of oils in a small house with a child, not so good. The solo, well it really has come down to this. My last solo was in 2000 (!?DAMN!?). This means this upcoming solo show is a do or die. All things considered, I am going to dive into producing a digital portfolio based on your recommendations regarding content. Sometimes you have to make decisions like this.

Thank you again for your direction.

JUA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on the baby, JUA! Hopefully I'll be facing the same complication in my life myself in a year or two. :-) I've been trying to figure out how to wrangle paints and baby. Switching to digital for a few years is one possibility; perhaps the best. Working in a ventilated room, without solvents, and with gloves on is potentially another. I'm sure we'll both figure something out. Good luck!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.