Life drawing adventures!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life drawing adventures!

In this thread we talk about our life drawing adventures and to teach me how to be a better life drawer!

Recently started going out and drawing from life, and taking it more seriously. It's challenging, fun, and invigorating.

But I'm kind of having some slight problems being a life drawing noob. I find it hard to get capture the image when drawing people cause I feel like i'm staring, so it's kind of awkward, so i end up doing these short little spy glances. How long 'til that goes away? Seasoned life drawers, show me the tricks of the trade and general tips. Teach me how to become a stealth ninja!

Also talk about the weird, funny, or interesting things you've seen/did when out on your life drawing sessions!

Last edited by Innabok; June 15th, 2007 at 12:04 AM.
    - The journey(my sketchbook)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i usually sit a far enough distance from a 'scene' and draw all i can in it as people walk by.

if im up close and personal i flat out ask 'would you mind if i drew you?" most people dont mind if you ask.. - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when you first start doing life drawing it is weird, I remember when I first went to college 17... naked person in room draw them... yeah it was weird for 5 mins.
    but you stop looking at them as a naked person it becomes more about capturing the pose, the emotion working on foreshortening they become the subject that ypuv are drawing. I have drawn all types men, women young old, slim heavy... and each time it is just baout the different challenges you face with each model.

though there are two things that I found weird or challenging
    1. we had a model called Frank, who always wore a baseball cap and socks on, we dubbed him the missing link I am not going to guess his age he looked about 80. It was the socks more than anything.... it just made it seem seedy. I mean the guy is starkers except for socks, I understand he probably needed to keep his feet warm.. but seemed so wrong.

and we also had a made model with a prince albert and 3 or 4 studs in the same area in plain view.... as open minded as I feel I am that just freaked me out...

as for just drawing in general if you sit in a park and draw people wh are at a certain distance they probably wpuldn't notice, I used to go to shopping centres and draw people out in the open areas they are usually too busy going about their business to notice where as on a bus you are stuck in the same place and ypur personal space is smaller as a result so some people might feel threatened for that reason.

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you tilt your head down to a mid-point between the person you're drawing and your sketchbook, you can just move your eyes to look at both. if you make eye contact you can just be comfortable about it and look away after a few seconds.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing as how none of them will get naked, sit still, or stop looking over my shoulder I found drawing people candidly in public a complete waste of my time. Go to a life drawing session or have a friend sit for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the link dose.

Quote Originally Posted by tomwaits4noman
    1. we had a model called Frank, who always wore a baseball cap and socks on, we dubbed him the missing link I am not going to guess his age he looked about 80. It was the socks more than anything.... it just made it seem seedy.
    What the hell, haha. As for the prince albert, i have this weird thing with piercings where i keep thinking about how easily it can be accidentally ripped out ...so, I guess you can imagine the rest.

I was thinking more drawing from life outside and similar, then from a nude model in class or a studio since I don't really have a problem with that. But if people want to share their experience in that area, that's cool.

I guess shades would work but wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of drawing from life in a way. I want to see the image in its purest form, not from a gray tint. How bout dressing up like a bush? ;p

- The journey(my sketchbook)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha. I remember once I was drawing people in an airport while I was waiting for my flight. I was kind of making these little charicatures of people. I thought this one lady looked like a dog, so I drew her as one. Unfortunately for me, she got up, walked right by me and saw my picture of her. I haven't seen a glare that harsh since. :o

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha. I'm impresses that such a quick sketch/caricature was that accurate after being turned into a dog.

And I have similar problems with life drawing. In addition, however, I live in the country, so when I walk around outside for something interesting to draw, I find nothing but a whole lot of leaves. And I say to hell with all those leaves, I'm not going to draw all of those damn leaves. And then I go back inside.

Freaking leaves.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.