I've been picking up some of the "Back to Mine" and "Another Late Night" music compilations by Richard X, The Orb, Death in Vegas, Moloko, etc, some of them are good, some are poor.
They all share a similar feel, that being the songs chosen are quite esoteric, or hard to come by, or rare remixes, and they veer into wildly disparate genres, but somehow seem to work side-by-side, a bit like listening to a John Peel radio show, - sometimes they deliver rare gems that would be impossible to find or be out of print altogether.
I'm always on a quest to find new music, and I'm sure you creative types don't listen to any old crap.
If you were asked to bring, say 20, of your all time personal favourite tunes, to the table (or the party) what would they be? Just 20 songs only, no albums, maybe the odd album length song, you can pick and mix anything. Anything goes, (I suppose lesser heard tunes would be more welcome)
Here's the Mozzy "Back To Mine" album, in no particular order ....
1) Mongo Santamaria - Watermelon man (David Holmes mix)
2) Too Short & Easy E - Players Club
3) Desmond Dekker & The Aces - Israelites
4) John Barry and his Orchestra - The Persuaders Theme (Fila Brasilia mix)
5) Juno Reactor - Pistolero (Remix)
6) John Foxx - My Sex (2006 reworked version)
7) Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Abantwana Basethempeleni
8) James - Getting Away With It (All Messed Up)
9) The 6ths - San Diego Zoo
10) Paul Kalkbrenner - Dockyard
11) Squarepusher - Love Will Tear Us Apart <cover of the Joy Division song>
12) Candy Stanton - You Got The Love (Now voyager mix)
13) Ulrich Shnauss - Bluebird of Happiness remix
14) Wazimbo - Nwahulwana (Nightbird)
15) Dawn Penn & Bounty Killer – No no no RMX
16) Cujo - Popsicle
17) Hexstatic - Nancys Boots (Cover of Nancy Sinatra's "These boots..")
18) Blondie - Denis (Plastic Letters version)
19) Jurassic 5 & Aphrodite ft Xzibit (Mad Azz remix)
20) Freelance Hellraiser - It Aint Hard To Tell (ft. Nas)
this was tougher than I thought
so many great songs I had to leave out, I just like went for the ones that came to mind straight away.
keeping in mind you mentioned party I did not want to go for anything too depressing or harsh and also rarities so I tried not to pick singles or hits.
1. Patti Smith - Gloria
2. Leonard Cohen - Dance me to the end of love live version
3. Talking heads - Cross eyed and painless live version
4. Mark Lanegan - Come to me
5. Archietcture in Helsinki - do the whirl wind
6. Einstürzende Neubauten - Die Befindlichkeit des Landes
7. The Pixies- All over the world
8. Sonic Youth - Drunken Butterfly
9. Jeff Buckley - New Years Prayer
10. Sleater Kinney- entertain
11. Joy Division - Shadow play
12. Tom Waits- All the world is green
13. Interpol- Say hello to the angels
14. Einstürzende Neubauten - Salamandrina
15. Janes Addiction- Three Days
16. Jeff Buckley - New years prayer
17. Nick Cave and Dirty 3 - Time Jesum Transeuntum et Non Riverentum
18. John Cale- Heartbreak Hotel
19. Velvet Underground- sticking to you
20. Neil Young - Don't Let it bring you down
"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO
1. I am Legend - White Zombie
2. Cult of Personality - Living Colour
3. Decorated - Crazy Town
4. Mein Herz Brennt - Rammstein
5. Space Lord - Monster Magnet
6. Human after All - Daft Punk
7. Where the River Flows - Collective Soul
8. Bring Her Down (to Crippletown) - Rob Zombie
9. Drunkship of Lanterns - The Mars Volta
10.Halloween (movie theme) - John Carpenter
11.Bring me to life - Evanescence
12.In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
13.Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins
14.Pushing Me Away - Linkin Park
15.Chop Suey! - System of a Down
16.Stinkfist - Tool
17.I am the Scum - Scum of the Earth
18.More Human Than Human - White Zombie
19.What About Us? - Ministry
20.Thunderkiss '65 - White Zombie
It isnt sophisticated, but its what I love. Start off jamming, slow down in the middle and pick it right back up in the end.
"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."
excellent stuff, it's really tough isn't it? i had to leave off some juicy cuts too, - I thought about upping the count to thirty but that would take some of the challenge out.
Some great songs listed there, and quite a few bands i've never heard of...nice start! I could easily see these as official BTM releases