Sketchbook: SK's Sketchbook *Update: 11/16*

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

SK's Sketchbook *Update: 11/16*

Hey how's everyone doing,

I've been looking around the boards at for a while and am impressed with all the primo stuff being posted here. I've been meaning to start my own sketchbook but have been putting it off for the longest time. For some reason tomorrow always seems like the best time to do things...

ANYWAY, laziness aside guess its time to get down to business. Hope ya'll will pardon the lack of color here for now, but I'll try to update things at least once a week with a little more variety and color.

C&C, tips and suggestions are always welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sofa King; November 16th, 2007 at 03:26 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Just for kicks

Last edited by Sofa King; November 13th, 2007 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks
    Great stuff! i like your line quality.

keep em coming!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renier van der West For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Minor update

Thanks for the compliment Renier

Here's a small update with an old pin-up drawing from a few months back.

Last edited by Sofa King; July 23rd, 2007 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    Great update and thanks for posting!
    your anatomy is looking good but i think you head placement could use some work. The neck areas seems to be a bit problematic, it's hard to make it look right. You also seem to try and get away with the least amount of lines as possable, which is good, but having a bit more construction lines could help you find the correct forms better.

Love it, UPDATE more often!

Thanks

Random update

Missed last week's update, but here are some more sketches, the animals are from a book on animal illustration I picked up last weekend (Art of Animal Drawing by Ken Hultgren, an interesting book), and the last one was just for fun, might try turning it into something more finished later.

<---- My sketchbook here

Thanks
    Its been a while between updates but here's a little something to keep things going, random line drawings and a doodle from last night.

Last edited by Sofa King; July 23rd, 2007 at 03:56 AM.
    <---- My sketchbook here

Thanks
    Your work looks pretty good! but unfortunately alot of your work is too large to really see (and I work on 1440x990 resolution! O_o)
    Try posting your pictures at a lesser resolution, such as 750x500 or 600x400 even.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaoticKnight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Chaotic, I went ahead and scaled down a few of the larger ones so I hope that makes things a little easier to view.

Here's a sketch from this weekend, still need to decide where to go with the lighting before doing something more finished.

As always tips and critiques are always welcome.

<---- My sketchbook here

Thanks
    Love your line quality, you obviously have a steady hand
    and a good eye for copying the master's drawings, which
    is always a great place to start. Don't worry about giving
    us any color yet, just keep cranking out the beautiful line work!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to oomgawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very clean linework, i would like to see more accented shading/shadows

sujak nx

16. The Following User Says Thank You to throtailer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oomgawa, thoatailer: Thanks for the compliments, I'll definitely keep working on those values.

For now here's a small update, more to come soon.

<---- My sketchbook here

Thanks
    I'm really liking your smooth crisp linework. Definately coming back

my sketches, and rants.

naomiandpoggie.blogspot.com

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sloppybunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey nice stuff. do you use painter? if so what brushes do you use?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks BigZam sorry for not answering your questions sooner, but yup I do use Painter. As far as brushes go lets see, I use Cover pencil for linework, recently Acrylics for color (captured bristle, opaque detail, wet detail, etc.) and Just Add Water for blending. I used Oils for a while back but decided to try out Acrylics for now.

Here's another update, came a little later than expected but oh well wanted to try something a little different (but not too different). The rifle sketches are based off a M14, just tried out a couple variations on it as a little exercise.

<---- My sketchbook here

Thanks
    very beautiful linework you have, unfortunately your renderings are looking very static in comparison, it looks like you're jumping right into the details on the render, try starting vague and loose, getting those vales and colors set how you want them and then sharpen in from there instead of trying to do one feature from start to finish without touching the rest of the picture. in any event keep on posting because this stuff is dope especially the animals and gun deigns.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to invinciblewombat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have to agree with what invinciblewombat is saying, you have the line quality of an animator,Very liquid flow man! but when you add color its very airbrushed and does little to compliment your beautiful line weight. I absolutely love the picture with the girl on the bike, I wish you would finish.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MR. Carbon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

rise from your grave (I loved that game)

Thanks for the stopping by Invinciblewombat and Mr. Carbon, I'll definitely take those critiques to heart. Color and well rendering in general are somethings that have always seemed to elude me (my white whale perhaps, arggg!) just have to keep practicing I guess. Its always good to have a few extra sets of eyes looking at things like this so ya'll's feedback is very much appreciated. And glad ya'll enjoy the linework.

As for this update, wow been over a month since my last one, but here's a little something to keep things going for now. A few (very) rough studies, miscellaneous lineworks, and one with a little color although its on the simple side. Side note on the last one, I based it off a cool hoodie (with a mask too) I saw at the local mall sometime ago, I wouldn't mind getting one but too bad it'd make me so damn suspicious looking (could only imagine what would happen if I walked into a convenience store in one)... oh well.

So until next time take care all and have a nice day .

Last edited by Sofa King; December 8th, 2007 at 11:40 PM.
    <---- My sketchbook here

Thanks
    I like your new sketches, great hands. Man, I love the cell shaded rendering of the have a nice day guy, nice perspective on him. cool clothing design. I'm wondering why you chose to blend your characters with the web-page background?

Last edited by MR. Carbon; October 7th, 2007 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by again Mr. Carbon, and to answer your question usually it's because I have no idea what to put in as far as a background goes so I use the color on this website since its easy on the eyes which helps during the late night hours, for me at least.

Here's a small update kind of a companion doodle to the last one.

<---- My sketchbook here

Thanks
    really nice line work and hand studies.. good weight to them. i enjoy your sketch of the girl in motion with a braid the most and like the girl playing cards although something seems to be a bit off in the head area.. perhaps how it relates to the neck, shoulders, proportion maybe? can't quite place my finger on it. bah, regardless, your color is coming along nicely.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to e-beef For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    really nice work here. nice lines and your anatomy studies are very good.
    lets see some more!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to lema For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey man, cool stuff going on here. I like your hand studies. My only crit is that perhaps your faces need more structure to them. Maybe studying from real life photos or doing self portraits can help that. Also maybe getting some more contrast in your rendered work and getting some hard against soft edges in defining your forms can help pop them out. Other then that your line is great and your flower designs are beautiful

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Garrett Hanna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    e-beef: Hey thanks for stopping by and for the critiques, I went ahead and did a double take on the cards girl and I think I see what you mean something is definitely off, I think its the throat area that is throwing things off like the angle is too sharp and doesn't exactly follow the curve of the spine... hmm. Thanks for pointing that one out, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for that kind of thing in the future .

lema: Thank you! More is certainly on the way its just a matter of when and how much .

Garrett Hanna: Thanks for the compliments and especially the feedback. Glad you like the hand studies, I like to do those every now and then since hands are still a problem area for me although its not as bad as it used to be. I've never done too much portrait drawing so I'll definitely take your advice on doing more studies in that area. I'll keep working on bumping up the contrast in my work also, I have bad habit of softening a lot of hard edges unnecessarily.

As for this post, I tried to capture the style of one of my favorite cartoonists (I'll let ya'll guess ) , but here's a hint: a popular cartoon of this person stars a dog and a cat (yeah I know not much of a hint). The ray guns are in the spirit of the typical retro sci-fi style; Flash Gordon, Spaceman Spiff of Calvin and Hobbes, etc. Not much else to add really, it was a very fun little exercise to do and a nice change from the old routine. I'll post the cleaned up linework and colors this weekend maybe. C&C is most definitely welcome as always.

See ya'll next update.

Last edited by Sofa King; November 3rd, 2007 at 12:41 PM.
    <---- My sketchbook here

Thanks
    awesome work man! your lines are really nice, is it a tablet that you are using?

Thanks
    Beautiful line control! So clean! You remind me of Salaryman somewhat. Are you going to color the badass w/ girl from post #6? Looking forward to more of your work!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l

Thanks
    Hey Sofa King,

Your line quality is danged tight and it's tragically juxtaposed next to your lack luster coloring. Use your mastery of line to find the shadows shapes before jumping into color, since your accuracy will greatly increase how you develop the drawings. And with the guidelines in place you can work on developing edges and the overall form much easier, as I can easily believe you're capable of it, but you're not doing it as of yet.

Push your skills, even if you don't bother posting it.

~A

Last edited by That fat kid; November 16th, 2007 at 12:52 AM.
    Obvious troll is obvious

40. The Following User Says Thank You to That fat kid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heyhey, some good stuff you got here. I think you've got a nice clean and smooth style going on, which is cool. I do agree with the 'static poses' comment tho, an affliction that I am all too familiar with. Fortunately that can be remedied with proper planning and practice...yet again something that I am guilty of not doing all the time as well.

I especially like some of your hand studies, very delicate stuff. Hope to see more soon!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to zeroe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Darkness falls across the land... The midnight hour is close at hand...

Hello all, I really appreciate ya'll taking the time to stop by and drop some comments for me here, so I'll do my best to return the favor asap.

lawnboy: Thanks man, glad you enjoy the linework, and yup I do use a tablet, although I do plan on picking up the pencil soon (for old times sake).

Eon: Thank you, Salaryman does some really nice work and its always fun to look at so glad I can remind you of a great artist. As for the dude with the lady friend in post 6 I think I started a finished drawing of them a while back but didn't like the way it was turning out so I put it aside, maybe I'll revisit it someday.

That Fat Kid: Thanks for stopping by and the very insightful critique, color certainly is a struggle for me right now, so I'll definitely take that advice of yours to heart and give it a shot in my future drawings. For a person that uses line so much I should have used that method more in the planning stages to help with the coloring process. But now I know, so again thanks for dropping that healthy bit of knowledge on me.

zeroe: Hey how you doing, glad you like what's going on here. I agree with the static poses comment, I have a bad habit of repeating myself and not just going out there and trying new ones. Looks like I'll have to update the old mental pose library and be bolder in my future work.

Now on to the update, nothing exciting really, more linework (surprise surprise) and still messing around with stylization, but at least it gave me a good excuse to do some replies (I feel lazy just posting a reply with no artwork). I'll post a proper update some other time.

So see ya'll next update.

Last edited by Sofa King; November 18th, 2007 at 06:27 PM.
    <---- My sketchbook here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 370 Posts
    Nice line quality. I suggest you do colour studies from photographs to help develop these further. Personal preference of mine would say to stop doing the cartoony faces and learn a bit more about facial structure as to me, they are the current weakpoints in your line art. Keep on posting.

Members who have read this thread: 1