Sketchbook: not safe for work #99577 - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update, again ur color choices are really great but it seems like you get lost in the rendering and gets a bit muddied up, i think a great way to step back is to just go over the image and see where the value gradations are and simplify shapes (like blocking in) and then render/smooth it out in areas where u want it to flow and keep it sharp where u want the most contrast

keep them paints coming in, interested in seeing that last post finished to ur liking!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l D.C. l jharford l Droemar

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dooo get lost in the rendering. it feels like math to me at some point, cause im just like ok what angle is this at, then in relation to this, then in relation to that... i hope this update isn't as muddy.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

a game i made

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not muddy just kinda even valued - plus a touch of saturation wouldnt hurt. Plus nothing wrong with how you are thinking during rendering - its really good that you think of strokes and there placement!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i think i will play with the contrast and saturation once everything is done... i use those in betweens to avoid the beginner mistake of using black and white and solid colors all the time and well i just dont get enough contrast like that. ive gotten scared of extremes. but i'll learn to control them hopefully in time. sorry for constant not so important updates but my friend keeps asking to see it. i also pasted the original sketch for it

Last edited by grenappels; October 8th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
    SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The latest painting you've got up is looking really really good. This can be the one you focus on getting done. When you're done, take a step back and say "fuck yeah!... i did this."

PS: love the lighting and shading on it as well as the color choices. simple but effective. simple is best to start from. rock on dude!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last update is looking suhweet!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowzers. Gotta love this sketchbook. I admire your determination to get the human figure down pat...I have to say, on those sketches where you nail it in the studies, you really nail it. And the fruit and veggies are totally yummy looking - I remember reading that PS thread a while back, and yours are certainly just as good as the ones posted there...

Keep up the great work - you mentioned you wanted to go to school in Philly - are you there, or are you going there? (Gotta love PA, I grew up there north of Philly and went to school on Pittsburgh).

Last edited by madhatter106; October 9th, 2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: grammar and schpelling und schtuff
    www.costumesketch.com
    I looked at yours, now you look at mine...sketchbook here

"The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there." - Ralph Wiggum

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is only for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well covered in terms of crits. Looking good though, it's an interesting piece!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gren dude, where you at? It's been 9 days!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    school has been a major pain in the ass the past week and it will be the rest of this week i think, but once im relatively work free i'll fire up ps again. i have pencils that i might add soon, but im not at a scanner right now...

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude. thanks for checking back in. good to know that you're alive and kickin!

Blog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    peetaer, eon, snootchy, thanks for the encouragement on the painting, i intend to finish it soon i just couldn't recently and madhatter i'm really flattered by what you said, and no sadly i'm not going to school in philly but i want to at some point.

anyway as i mentioned school has been stealing all my time recently so i just have pencils from sitting around in class. i think the past week or two ive been drawing just enough to not get any worse but definitely not enough to get better oh well, i'll have more time now i think

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The environment thumnails are very very nice. I'd love too see you doing more of that.

As for this:http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1224869669

Literally had me laughing out loud.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the hatching, u create some really nice value shifts with your hatching, i'd like to see something done on a bigger scale or finished piece with that cross hatch, the hatch isn't super clean and something about it that makes it look really unique, gives your sketches some visual noise almost like that of an impressionistic painting

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So many studies... @_@ Wow, keep at it! I really like the thumbnails there. :] Very nice stuff you have.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, great studies ! the painting of the topless girl is really good. Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eon and snootchy, there for me as always, thanks guys, shalite i intend to keep at it!, and walid d i like the painting of the topless girl too but i'm already starting to see how i can paint better things than that so i lost interest in it a little bit... but i WILL FINISH IT I SWEAR by the end of page 6 it will be done.

ne way i dun realy care about this copyright stuff atm, nobody's going to steal my stuff i dont think. i have a painting i started based on a section of my sketchbook, i know the composition and colors are god awful but i will make it all work out i have faith in this painting... and then there are some 30 second gestures from posemaniacs.com

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the figure in this one. http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1183445769 ...nice rib cage ha wow! you are prolific, posting just as i posted
    one bit of advice I'd have is to go inside the contour when you're drawing figures, lightly sketch in the big underlying shapes so that each side relates to the other as part of a whole. (I'm not saying your drawings look lopsided, I just think that if you lightly felt out the simple underlying shapes (squarish egg for rib cage, boxish shape for pelvis etc) might help you go faster and go better )

(Sorry for long reply, thank you for your comments!)

Last edited by Eurysaces; October 28th, 2008 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah you're right i've been caught up in making things all graphical looking and forgot im still learning where everything is really supposed to be... i used to put the big underlying forms in but now i guess i got cocky. i'll definitely starrt doing that again.

and speaking of my stuff looking lopsided (which, i think you're being too kind, i really do draw lopsided quite often), i wanted to do a painting of a white metal surface as a study for that painting im working on, so i quickly did this painting of a car, and i guess i wasnt paying enough attention to the basic structure of everything in the ref, cause i got the diagonal of the bottom of the car wrong and the whole thing looks totally lopsided. the bad perspective on the ceiling doesn't help. and it's messy in the ugly way not the impressionist way. :/ i just hope i learned how to light a white colored metal surface

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh suhweet man, love those digital study of yours, as for the metal surface, i think it is a bit muddy, i think for metallic objects it is pretty important to get the light fall off correct in order to convey the form properly, and i would think there would be better or clearer light specularity on a showroom car

either way great study, keep them ref paints coming!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah snootchy you're right, i don't think i was being sharp enough with all the edges and value changes... i mean where there's a specular highlight the edges around that value should be pretty crisp. and the car itself shouldnt look like it's blending into the background. my hand is just so wobbly when i use a wacom, there's no friction to keep your strokes grounded. and i desperately need guidance in creating effective brushes in ps, or a brush set, i dont know. i'm trying not to be too fancy untl im really comfortable picking colors, blending, etc. i went on to another study of an ipod's surface but i couldn't get any colors right and it looked like an optical illusion to me when i'd try to see the right colors and i really felt like i was colorblind so i think i gave up but hopefully i saved it and i can try again. and when i was in class the past few days i realized i forgot my pencil so i had only some ballpoint i found at the bottom of my backpack. i always thought i hated pens so much, but i guess i make fewer mistakes now than i used to, so i don't hate them so much anymore

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    custom brushes i wouldn't even mess with just make you go off on a tangent, i like your disciplined approach (i on the other hand am weak soul and give into temptation > , as for variation in brush, the most easiest way and to get the most mileage i think is a round brush set with the opacity to pen pressure as well as stroke size

let's say your looking at your picture and you see that the edge is really mushy or wet paint mixing into one another then grab a hard round brush and straighten that edge, now lets say you want to create depth in the image well all you have to do is open up the brush control and set the round brush hardness down, lets say a surface has some texture then you just have to increase the spacing in the brush and paint lightly in order for the underlay color as well as the texture to be applied on top, lets say you want to create an enviro with shifting planes then again go to the brush editor on the same hard edge brush and flatten the brush and you got a simple palette knife

these are just some examples of how effective a simple round brush in photoshop can create interesting variations in brush stroke in the painting, happy brush hunting, hehe

digging the ballpoint pen, a little tight but forms read well, personally prefer ballpoint over pencil, cuz with a pencil you can go back and make infinite changes with an eraser where a pen if you make a mistake you learn to become creative into how to incorporate them, almost like inviting happy accidents in a speedpaint

like the kevlar vested dude the best in the last post, got a cool geometric silhouette to it

oh also i stumbled upon this great site, idrawgirls.com, if you're interested in tutorials by Xia Taptara one of the concept artists at Arenanet, careful though you might waste days watching all the wealth of info he's got

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Last edited by snootchy; October 30th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you've been busy! That's good to see! Though they may be doodles, they convey your will to push further, to stay busy, and, eventually, to exceed. Great stuff. Keep going.

Blog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hale Yes

Thanks for dropping by

I read Hale at least
    once a year

Most of his stuff
    comes from
    Harold Speed,
    Vernon Blake,
    and Richaed Hatton

Hatton is the big
    surprise

There is some great
    stuff there and
    it is obviously that
    Hale referenced him
    a great deal

I have had the Hatton
    book for a number
    of years but only
    read it recently

The illustrations pretty
    much suck but the text
    is great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ballpoints are pencils' cooler cousins to me. And they do force you to commit to the marks and how you put them down. I like how you've drawn that armored man from imagination without undelying construction lines only focusing on good contours. Matches the way you do your gestures.

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    snootchy- oh trust me i am a weak soul too, if i am drawing a lot that means i am ignoring other obligations, and even when i am i draw pretty lazily and thx now im gonna be addicted to that site lol. i think ive got some good brush experiments in the next painting im gonna post, thanks for the advice

peetaer- yeah i keep telling myself slow and steady wins the race, cause i dont really draw that much but as long as i keep it up and try to get better every time...

mentler- heh, good to know, thanks for the info. and i like the title of your post

eon- yeah, the gesture studies really pay off. i mean they dont teach me what i don't already know, but they make the whole building a figure process internal and subconscious, which makes everything feel natural when i go to lay out an actual figure.

well i felt discouraged recently, and lazy, i only have 3 real pages and no paintings after 4 days. hrm... and i think this might be the last porn drawing for a while. i really have to practice clothing

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those peoplesketches from life are awesome, and those other studies are cool.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks piemonster...
    a wip, still studying metalic surfaces for this one part in that other painting. also tried a new brush.

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome update, as for the last one, definitely you can tell its a metallic surface due to the reflections, but still no specs and the painting is a bit muddy looking, i think your paintings could use some hard edges in certain spots to reinforce the forms plus usually working with 100% opacity with the brush set to pen pressure for opacity is better than dropping that opacity on the tool bar, that tends to muddy up the painting

either way great job on that last study

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l D.C. l jharford

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really really nice metalic surfaces study. It's looking real good. I particularly liked the second jpg of post 176. Very "weird" character design. I like that a lot actually. That's a sign of a wild imagination. I'd say you should keep pushing in that direction when drawing from imagination.

Rock-the-fuck-on!

Blog
    Sketchbook

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1