Sketchbook: not safe for work #99577 - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone who commented. eon, you mean like these sketches or coloring a scanned drawing in ps (cause the latter i think ive given up every time i've tried)? thanks either way though. strum, i know, i wish i could do proportions consistently but i can't really draw anything the same consistently at all D: i dunno how i'd ever be asked to make a character, then draw him again in a different pose, just seems impossible to me... or i mean really really hard

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by grenappels; August 19th, 2008 at 12:18 PM.
    SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

a game i made
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some serious potential here man..keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some great gestures and anatomy stuff man.
    Thanks a ton for stopping by my SB
    I'm gonna have to force myself to take my sketch pad with me to do more stuff from life

Check it MY SKETCH BOOK
    Just like the Bee Gees man, I'm just stay'n Alive

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I meant that with your pencil shading you usually bring out form/volume with lighting whereas the digital sketches were just clean lines. "Grayscale coloring" could describe what I meant. Interestingly you shaded some of those digitals in a similar way to you pencils (hatching.)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sup Grenappels

thanks for the crits, yea i need to be more disciplined in sketching i'm still messing around with digital stuff too much used to sketch a lot when i was younger but after being in medicine for what seems like eternity, now i'm trying to get back into it and maybe even go back to school for illustration

you mentioned you went to school or seemed like you were in art school?

i'm really digging the pastel photo ref pic, pretty sick realism with few strokes!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l_____ l_____ l_____

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the advice on my SB. You're right, improving drawing skills means doing more than just figure drawing. I'm looking into following a basic course in drawing at my college to build my drawing skills. You've got some good stuff in your SB, keep on improving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone. eon, i dont think i like that hatching technique that much, i'll probably come up with something else soon for when i want to quickly put down values on a sketch. i was just too lazy to change brushes XD and snootchy, welcome to 69, and no i was never in art school. my highschool art teacher was amazing however (http://www.angelfire.com/art2/oneliom/paint2.htm), and we did do things at a college level imo (not like an academy or anything, but it was better than the art program at rutgers the college i go to now). lots of oil painting and stuff. but it's been 2 years since then D:

anyway, heres some stuff

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm liking the caricature on the last sketch, it's got personality the eyes give it some mundane feel but interest

i think less lines could be used to get the overall forms and hatching is one way or to quickly get value on try toning the portion of the paper your working on so that the white or negative space isn't a hinderance and your thinking of what to put on the paper, sometimes i'll just lay down massive layers of graphite and then subtract with a kneaded eraser and work out the reverse then go back in add value with hatches to add more value

overall u got some unique ideas, keep up the good stuff

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l_____ l_____ l_____

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL, yeah we can definitely tell what was happening as you drew some of these....Those two little figures on the 10th page illustrate exactly why I've had trouble focusing since last friday heh.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, your sketches (especially your anatomy studies) are truly awesome. You've got the basic form down. Keep them coming. Don't stop practicing.

Your paintings of the veggies are totally mindblowing, the look so impressionistically real! Let's see some more digital paintings!

Rock on dude!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1219697399

this thing is immensly cool!, I'd love to see it colored, in a simple way like some of snootchys work is.

Nice sb and glad to see your making progress, it's encouraging ! :d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook, I really enjoy your sketches and tonal work. Moar updates pls!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm always stopping myself from actually designing something or finishing a drawing cause i'm not confident and don't want it to suck... guess i should go ahead and try though.
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm struggling with it myself right now. Wish I could be one of those people that trips across a piece of paper and do an illustration with perfect lighting and composition. Hah!
    If you're lost in Photoshop, I know it better than Corel Painter. (Which I don't know, so I'm up for a knowledge trade!)
    You really should try to foray into more finished pieces, because your anatomy and form concept is great.

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l D.C. l jharford l Droemar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    snootchy: yeah, i've been trying recently to not keep scratching at things to get the forms out. and also i did that thing you said about laying out a tone and then working from it in a couple sketches, ill scan them if i can find a scanner. thanks for that

eon: yeah there are some cute girls at school. but that kindof got me in some trouble last year...

peetaer: thanks a lot, and i know i need to go back to the anatomy books, im starting to take it for granted i know this stuff just cause i know the main muscle groups. but i still make ugly figures in stupid poses with bad collarbones and shoulder blades and stuff so... yeah i have work to do

jharford: some night when im way too high to draw properly (its bound to happen im in college), i'll get some wacky colors down on it. and then polish it up when im sober perhaps

bleupencil: i'll get some sketchy tonal stuff in the next update i can use a scanner on... for now i have a hard time finding one. thanks though

droemar: i know photoshop pretty well, ive been using it a lot longer than i had this sketchbook running (not to paint, just graphic stuff), but i suck with painter. i think i used it once and that was it. and i have no idea where to get those awesome custom brushes but i figured i'd stick to just the hard edge round brush cause it's good enough for someone at my skill level, im still working on getting values and colors right, not quite textures yet... and no worries, im getting more confident with a pencil, i'll probably make some fully rendered things soon.

here's a "speed" paint that took me an hour or so, im gonna try to do one every day, but they are so god damn frustrating to me. the whole time the voice in my head was going "can i be done yet?" and i usually never ask that of myself. hell there isnt even terrain, its just clouds and a sillouette. but whatever i might aswell get some bad paintings out of the way so im that much closer to good ones. i guess maybe it seems alright but... i actually picked colors off the ref a number of times and upped the contrast when i was done i feel like a cheatar

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another one for today, another hour

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm digging your speed paints, and that's excellent that your shooting for one a day. just a tip on speedies, instead of using a soft round airbrush most of the time throw in a few lines or hatches randomly where it may represent a plane of some sort or on an object the variation from smooth to sharp may give it some visual interest (especially ur subject should have more sharper or contrast) don't be afraid to experiment, it's just a speedpaint and really u could do whatever you want, just anothery way of getting the whole composition before rendering something out laborously...

nice work, keep it up!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l D.C. l jharford

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still pretty nub :/ thanks for the tip snootchy, i think i did more "drawing" in this one, but the planes still feel awkward

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those speed paintings are phenomenal.

As far as the inner voice saying asking questions like the one it did, just maintain awareness of that. You'll figure what to do with that voice. It's usually a frustration of one variation or another, but its coming from somewhere within yourself. Figure it out! ...and you'll be fine.

Rock on dude!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetaer View Post
    You'll figure what to do with that voice.
    i wish they made a videogame where it takes on a human form and you can beat the shit out of it...

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by grenappels View Post
    i wish they made a videogame where it takes on a human form and you can beat the shit out of it...
    Haha, if only they did. That'd be awesome.

Blog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have a GREAT eye, all this stuff will fall in place soon, i can tell... i really love your colors in the digital posts, very cool. keep at er mayn
    -Jim

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude ur speedpaints are becoming really great, i'm totally digging that last one, as for the planes i think it would help if you used diff brushes, i think a flat palette knife is perfect for representing plane changes and shifts in the planes, are u only using round brushes or custom brushes as well?

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thanks a lot everyone... i wasn't liking that painting and was getting really frustrated with it but the positive response makes me happy so i woke up and tried to combine the few things i've learned about color/environment to make something up out of my head. its really simple but... baby steps u know?

/edit here's an environment copy for today. this one might have been an hour and a half, i wasnt paying attention, did it in little steps throout the day

Last edited by grenappels; September 6th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.
    SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love that one of the boat and the last one in your most recent post, Gren. Great colours!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the playfulness of the left one but the right one is definitely the gem of the two. Very cool stuff.

Blog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work grenappels! keep em coming!!

only crits are on the first one, if the grass was that saturated then u would get bounce light onto the surface of the walls of the house not to high but a little and in the second ref painting, the closer objects should have sharper edges, one being that they are rocks and two being they are foreground elements that have the most contrast to increase perspective

great studies!! paint on!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your digis are a beautiful thing to look at. An exercise that could be useful to train your imagination and memory muscles would be to try and recreate the referenced pic soon after you've painted it. Spitting the osmosis back out. Then the analysis of the recreated pic would show you the areas to focus on.

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone for motivating me to do more digital work. i really feel more content with my paintings now that i have some positive feedback, but i think the quick improvement was due to my being pissed off that they weren't as good as i thought they should be so i'm gonna try to keep that mentality cause they are still blurry and kindof muddy and just can be better. sadly i haven't been using the wacom recently, been busy, but here's some pencil stuff

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

a game i made

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude ur penicls are really nice, i love the looseness of it yet obtain a semi realistic look with the value u create with the hatching, give us some um more pencils!!!

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah! I love these latest ones!
    Your pencil work has so much character!

Is that a threesome happening in that last one? XD
    Beautiful interaction between the subjects anyway!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1