Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: F**k the pallet knife, I use a pallet sword: a 7 year journey from art school to now.

Thanks

F**k the pallet knife, I use a pallet sword: a 7 year journey from art school to now.

November 4 2014: This book is 7 years old now...

Time to start a new one I think! I added a few of my favs to the first post as well as a quick speed paint time lapse I just did for Halloween. I've got an entire 1-2 years worth of professional work as well as 2 moleskins that I will be sharing when I start a new book very soon, stay tuned!

If nothing else I find it absolutely humbling to see how TERRIBLE I used to be compared to where I'm at today, I honestly CRINGE at most the stuff up to page 5! Its VERY inspiring to think where I could be in 7 more years though... Art is a life long pursuit.

26,387 11-4-14
    Attached Images Attached Images                
    Last edited by K-bot; November 4th, 2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Been too long
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Summer 2007 Speed Painting Studies

Summer 2007 Speed Paintings- I am focusing on speed painting. The painting in this post were all done in 30 minutes or less except the last 3. MOVED FROM POST 1- Here are my first 3 ever digital colorings done in Winter of '06 Lines by Evil Disco, Dehron_Samiel, and Deathlegionare. All art from The New Media coloring book thread.
    Last edited by K-bot; November 9th, 2007 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Moved 3 images from post one for easy avatar changing

Thanks

After Insomania January 2007ish

Tried Andrew Jones' Zbrush thumb nailing technique after Insomaina. Second piece is an abstract self portrait I created in Zbrush with Kanji alphas.
    Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks

Observational Studies

These were done in My Fall 2006 Foundation 1 Drawing class. When I started this class I had not done more then a doodle in my notes, and not since high school. The last one (digital) is a 60 minute study I did in painter IX from life. This was the first painting I did from life. All the drawings were done from life.
    Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks

Digital Illustration Class Fall 2006

I took a class Spring semester 2006 (I attend Salt Lake Community College.) called digital illustration, which we were only allowed to use Painter IX. Here are the assignments I created from that class in the order they appear:

1- Create a DVD Cover- This was my first Digital illustration I ever did. I spent around 30 hours on it. The rendering and textures I am very happy with, but looking at it compared to what I know now, the composition is poor, and the main characters pose is very static. Never the less, I learn the most through failure and personal shortcomings. I really hate allot of things about this painting now though...

2- Create a Childrens Book Illustration- This one I did in Painters "Pastels" Turned out pretty fun and silly.

3- Create a Self Portrait- Smeary Flat Oils Brush, and every spare moment for 3 weeks.

4- Emulate an Artist Style- Choose Yoji Shinkowa, and didn't have enough time to finish this how I wanted, hopefully I will revisit it soon because I like the concept.
    Last edited by K-bot; August 20th, 2008 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks

Pencils from DEC 2007ish

First one I did on the plane to insomnia, second one I did in class when the teacher didn't show ...
    Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks

More Recently...Summer 2007ish

Been painting on this one for a while in between other work when I need to do something else for a minute. I may finish it, I may not, I am kind of getting sick of it. I have not done very much anatomy or character stuff, so that is why I started this one, hopefully as I do more they will improve...
    Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks

More Bunnies

Here is another illustration that I did to go with my children's book concept seen above in my school post. I liked the concept, but the composition was garbage, so I started on a new angle of the same scene today. I hope the new version tells the story much more clearly.

Thanks
    noone commented yet? have you been drawing before this one year? or did you start from 0 one year ago? its never too late ;-) i wish you best for your career. do you know bobby chiu's videos from youtube? check them out (look for digitalbobert on youtube)!!

the dvd cover looks well, but the soldiers face anatomy seems not right. also the alien on the lower part of the pic is hardly visible, maybe change the color of his eye so it does not look like the lava around. also i don't know what the lying hand/claw next to him belongs to.

work hard and it will pay off, study anatomy and have fun. go to concerts, go drink with friends, get inspiration, observe things around you, and then return to your pad and draw. try gesture drawing, it'll add a bunch of vitality to your art.

and most important: keep posting!!!!

;-)

cu

Thanks
    Kfeeras- Thank you for your comments, yes I started from Zero last fall, with some drawing's I am embarrassed to even show... Not that the rest of my work is much better though I fully agree on the points you brought up for the DVD cover. I will post the limited gestures and life studies I have done as soon as I get them scanned.

Again, thank you VERY much for your words, I work hard at art everyday to improve and love it very much.

Thanks
    you shouldnt call these failures. everything is progress forward. i like the self portrait out of all of them. keep drawing AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, try to practice your anatomy and like Kfeeras said, have fun.

Thanks
    eskanto- I didn't mean all of them are failures, some are lessons I learned. I also like the self portrait the most, it kinda clicked on that one.

Having fun is one thing I defiantly don't have a problem with, I LOVE this stuff!
    Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks

Anatomy

Let me start these off by saying that I REALLY struggle with anatomy. I have started going to public life drawing sessions 1-2 times a week now to hopefully improve. These are from Figure Drawing 1 that I took in spring of 2007.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast