Sketchbook: NSFW: "F**k the pallet knife, I use a pallet sword!" with more zombies and robots!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

NSFW: "F**k the pallet knife, I use a pallet sword!" with more zombies and robots!

Go to at LEAST page 5... These are over 5 years old!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by K-bot; October 24th, 2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Im awesome
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Summer 2007 Speed Painting Studies

Summer 2007 Speed Paintings- I am focusing on speed painting. The painting in this post were all done in 30 minutes or less except the last 3. MOVED FROM POST 1- Here are my first 3 ever digital colorings done in Winter of '06 Lines by Evil Disco, Dehron_Samiel, and Deathlegionare. All art from The New Media coloring book thread.

Last edited by K-bot; November 9th, 2007 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Moved 3 images from post one for easy avatar changing

Thanks

After Insomania January 2007ish

Tried Andrew Jones' Zbrush thumb nailing technique after Insomaina. Second piece is an abstract self portrait I created in Zbrush with Kanji alphas.

Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks

Observational Studies

These were done in My Fall 2006 Foundation 1 Drawing class. When I started this class I had not done more then a doodle in my notes, and not since high school. The last one (digital) is a 60 minute study I did in painter IX from life. This was the first painting I did from life. All the drawings were done from life.

Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks

Digital Illustration Class Fall 2006

I took a class Spring semester 2006 (I attend Salt Lake Community College.) called digital illustration, which we were only allowed to use Painter IX. Here are the assignments I created from that class in the order they appear:

1- Create a DVD Cover- This was my first Digital illustration I ever did. I spent around 30 hours on it. The rendering and textures I am very happy with, but looking at it compared to what I know now, the composition is poor, and the main characters pose is very static. Never the less, I learn the most through failure and personal shortcomings. I really hate allot of things about this painting now though...

2- Create a Childrens Book Illustration- This one I did in Painters "Pastels" Turned out pretty fun and silly.

3- Create a Self Portrait- Smeary Flat Oils Brush, and every spare moment for 3 weeks.

4- Emulate an Artist Style- Choose Yoji Shinkowa, and didn't have enough time to finish this how I wanted, hopefully I will revisit it soon because I like the concept.

Last edited by K-bot; August 20th, 2008 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks

Pencils from DEC 2007ish

First one I did on the plane to insomnia, second one I did in class when the teacher didn't show ...

Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks

More Recently...Summer 2007ish

Been painting on this one for a while in between other work when I need to do something else for a minute. I may finish it, I may not, I am kind of getting sick of it. I have not done very much anatomy or character stuff, so that is why I started this one, hopefully as I do more they will improve...

Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks

More Bunnies

Here is another illustration that I did to go with my children's book concept seen above in my school post. I liked the concept, but the composition was garbage, so I started on a new angle of the same scene today. I hope the new version tells the story much more clearly.

Thanks
    noone commented yet? have you been drawing before this one year? or did you start from 0 one year ago? its never too late ;-) i wish you best for your career. do you know bobby chiu's videos from youtube? check them out (look for digitalbobert on youtube)!!

the dvd cover looks well, but the soldiers face anatomy seems not right. also the alien on the lower part of the pic is hardly visible, maybe change the color of his eye so it does not look like the lava around. also i don't know what the lying hand/claw next to him belongs to.

work hard and it will pay off, study anatomy and have fun. go to concerts, go drink with friends, get inspiration, observe things around you, and then return to your pad and draw. try gesture drawing, it'll add a bunch of vitality to your art.

and most important: keep posting!!!!

;-)

cu

Thanks
    Kfeeras- Thank you for your comments, yes I started from Zero last fall, with some drawing's I am embarrassed to even show... Not that the rest of my work is much better though I fully agree on the points you brought up for the DVD cover. I will post the limited gestures and life studies I have done as soon as I get them scanned.

Again, thank you VERY much for your words, I work hard at art everyday to improve and love it very much.

Thanks

Red face

you shouldnt call these failures. everything is progress forward. i like the self portrait out of all of them. keep drawing AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, try to practice your anatomy and like Kfeeras said, have fun.

Thanks
    eskanto- I didn't mean all of them are failures, some are lessons I learned. I also like the self portrait the most, it kinda clicked on that one.

Having fun is one thing I defiantly don't have a problem with, I LOVE this stuff!

Last edited by K-bot; June 13th, 2007 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks

Anatomy

Let me start these off by saying that I REALLY struggle with anatomy. I have started going to public life drawing sessions 1-2 times a week now to hopefully improve. These are from Figure Drawing 1 that I took in spring of 2007.

Thanks

More Speed paints

Here's another batch of 30 minute or less speed paintings.

Last edited by K-bot; August 3rd, 2007 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks

daemon hunt

1 of 3 warhamer fan art I have been working on for fun. This one is still kinda rough, but I think I'll leave it that way and focus more on the other which are turning out better. This one was really just about exploring composition.

Thanks
    Oh man, cool to see lessons from someone who's had some of the same teachers. Seriously laughed when I saw that fish everyone draws in the foundation classes

I think you are really getting there dude. I'd say refocus your energy from concept and subject matter a bit and instead start a new painting in order to learn a new technique or play with an idea. What I think you'd benefit most from at the moment is studying lighting and form (two are very connected after all).

Failures and mistakes are more important in my mind that finished pieces - overall you learn more from what you've done wrong than what you've done right.

We'll have to hit up some figure drawing soon man! Peace.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Idiot Apathy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great point about light and form, As I have been painting basic shapes in oils the last 2 weeks I have noticed a huge improvement in all my work, I'll try to post some of the stuff I have done since then up soon. Thanks for the feedback, now that you point it out, I would have to say I agree with you, and am going to work on that.

Thanks

Update

Here arer some totally out of order 30 minute or less speed paints, from the last month or 2. Lots of garbage, but some are finally working I think! The spyline one was a quick study off of new media coloring book lines, but I can't find who to credit now

The first landscape was 10 minutes on idiot apathy's brushes, just getting a feel for them.

Last edited by K-bot; August 3rd, 2007 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    I'd say grab yer pencils and hit the page... the computer stuff, although fun may be retarding your development. You see the strongest sketchbooks around here start with somebody just sketching stuff from life. Once you start becoming fluent with anatomy and perspective then you'll be able to use the computer to its full advantage.

Keep the posts coming!

-frex

Freximus Draws <----Sketchbook

Thanks
    I totally agree, and have been at the pencils hard for about 2 weeks. Thanks for the feedback, I am trying to draw for minimum 4 hours a day now. I need to get to where I can draw fast and correct instead of having to beat it into submission... Or not get it right at all

Last edited by K-bot; August 5th, 2007 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks
    I agree with freximus here, to do more pencil studies first. As shiny and tempting as photoshop is, at this point i think it'd do more to distract than to help (though of course, it doesnt hurt to learn how to use the program early on... but dont let it overwhelm you!)
    It helped me a lot when i ceased my photoshop fun for a while and really kept up with a sketchbook. I imagined sketching as if i were painting something, except it was with a pencil and just in black and white. By the way, many of your black and white cgs were my favorites of this batch-- just sticking to black and whites, whether its cg or pencil, helps you get away from the pretty-but-unnecessary colors and lets you concentrate on the form, the value, the composition, etc... It's much better for learning, because then you can add in the colors later. Images can go without color, but not without value... Continuing that thought, keep doing sketches so you can improve not just your anatomy skills, but your understanding of other fundamentals as well. Then, having understood better those building blocks, the next time you're on photoshop you'll find that it is much easier to paint.
    Now, that was just my own experience. Hope it helps

Thanks

Oils!

Did my first oil (or any non-digital for that matter) painting two months ago. Here is a semi-cronological listing of the last 2 months of studying oil painting.

OK, OFF TO DRAW!!! PAPER + PENCILS + IPOD = MORE POSTS COMING SOON!!!

Last edited by K-bot; August 5th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks

Chow82

CHOW82- I spent quite a bit of time on this. Great learning, lots of stuff I learned for the next one!

UPDATE October 21st 2007 I just wanted to let anyone who is reading in here that I am still alive and drawing my ass off! I have been trying to spend more time studying and drawing and painting, and have limited my internet time to 5 minutes a day, so I have not been updating this. I will likely dump a whole bunch of stuff soon, but I didn't want to make a new post and bump this thread to the top with no art.

Last edited by K-bot; October 21st, 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Thanks
    I think the works in this thread show how muhc you have developed. Its a good idea to stay on this path, you are showing gradual improvement. It looks to me like you are studying others, and learning from your mistakes. I encourage you to keep at it and post more pics as you develop.

Thanks
    Kyle! Update you mofo!
    Crazy to see you were at the SF workshop - odd that we didn't meet. Here's to seattle right?!

Thanks
    wussup yo
    i rmemeber this pic a while back in the chow section
    i like your digital environments good work
    i should take your advice and practice more on the environments...
    keep it up pz
    ps: nomore chows? where u been?

CHECK ME OUT
    & ILL RETURN THE FAVOR

www.myspace.com/acroart
    ^^MYSPACE^^
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102221
    ^^SKETCHBOOK^^

AIM/AOL SCREENAME: ACRO IS ILL

Thanks
    Tom:

Ya that is really crazy that we were at workshop and school together, who knew? How are you liking your new job? I heard your working at avalanche right? I am soooo jealous, hopefully my skills will get there in the next year or so. Me and the wifely are staying at the Marriot across from the Seattle workshop, I am so stoked!!! Also, I am going to start doing Kings and U of U figure sessions again since I am not at SLCC anymore, you should come with us sometime.

Arco:

Sorry, I'll bust an update soon, but the internet really is kind of distracting to me and I am trying to spend all my time drawing and painting- MUST IMPROVE!!! I really have allot of stuff to show, but much of it is 24x18 and it won't fit my scanner...

More art to fallow!!!

Thanks
    Big update- Lots of garbage, but I am putting in the miles and some stuff is starting to show promise and improvement. Drawing is my focus right now, cause lets face it, I suck. Now that's out of the way, the only way is forward.

There is a little bit of everything here from about August until the first of September. Cartooning, life drawing, illustrations, conceptual, etc. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by K-bot; November 1st, 2007 at 02:04 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2