mac vs windows ?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mac vs windows ?

i want to buy a new laptop for school.
    next year is gonna be my first year at the art academie.

but i need some stuff, and also a computer.
    now what can i buy best ?

an apple ore a windows laptop?

i mean, a Apple with the same specification's will cost me 1000 bucks more.
    and i can't get that easy to the programs like photoshop and painter.

and i can't play most of the game's i like...

i will wait with buying a laptop, because its useless to buy a mac, if i can work good and smooth with a windows laptop with the 'same' hardware specification's.

so let me hear your opinion's plz.

Grtz oma.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd go with Windows pc laptop, just make sure you dont get vista yet unless you're buying a real power laptop... get it with Xp if you can, usually the processor is better in a pc than a Mac. you should be able to run stuff smoothly on a pc. Plus you get better compatablility, tho i think most stuff is comp with mac by now.

I feel like a nerd now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm saying Windows-- I'm about to buy an HP for school this coming year.

I know Apples are known to be the "computers for graphics"... Not anymore. It's just a reputation they gained like a decade (and more) ago. The graphic designer my Dad works with recently let go of his Mac and went to Windows because it was so much less crash-prone, and handles graphics just as well (if not better).

Oh, and when you buy your laptop, make sure to go after a really good processor if you intend to use Painter. I recommend Duo Core if you can afford it.

Personal Computers are no longer the lifeblood of the Apple Corperation- music is--

Thanks
    Thanked 16,677 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There should be some sort of filter that automatically blocks posts like this and instead just takes you to the search page.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by oma View Post

There's your answer.

And for the record- unless you're talking about some sort of pirating hookup, you can certainly get Photoshop and Painter for the Mac, and they're about 99% the same. But you can probably get a student rate for those apps either way you go.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dose View Post
    and they're about 99% the same. But you can probably get a student rate for those apps either way you go.
    if you treat a mac like trash, it'll run like trash, the same is true for PCs. yet a lot of smug bigots would rather feel elitist by taking sides on such a pointless subject (and c'mon the real elitists in this situation are Linux users)

yeah, look into student discount from the Mac itself too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    frankly, half of the things you can do on a pc are now on mac. i use a pc and i'm pretty amazed at it's compatibility, with bootcamp you can run windows on it anyway, so theres the gaming problem gone. it's slightly more expensive, but the prices are exaggerated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by asoir View Post
    frankly, half of the things you can do on a pc are now on mac. i use a pc and i'm pretty amazed at it's compatibility, with bootcamp you can run windows on it anyway, so theres the gaming problem gone. it's slightly more expensive, but the prices are exaggerated.
    actually things run slower on bootcamp, and there are some limitations...you wont be able to get some windows programs to work 100% with it.

pcs are much cheaper...you can get a pentium 4 really cheap and it will still run almost everything under the sun. I see no need to spend extra $$$ on a mac if you can get the same thing (or more) on a pc for less.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Macs are solid PCs. Yes a mac is a PC. PC = personal computer. Macs are just an OS with attached compatible hardware.

There are same-priced versions of most design and art software for the Mac. You can find Painter, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, et cetera... all the stuff that really matters on the mac.

Macs have always had the capability to game. However, being a different OS, you have to write different code for it. After the great Pirates of Silicon Valley move by Bill Gates, PCs are the most common, and gaming companies would rather make maximum profit by lessening design time and restricting to only the most popular OS'es... Windows and Consoles. There are some gaming companies who buck the trend such as Unreal series, Quake series, Myst series, and is growing all of the time. Halo was originally designed to be released on the Mac FIRST before Microshaft bought it out and restricted it to Xbox only on it's release.

The only reasons to not buy a mac are if you are a hardcore gamer, love to tinker with everything inside your case and interchange parts, or the price really. That's it. And the most common thing I hear is the price one. Most people I know say they'd like a mac, at least a laptop, but can't afford one and go for the cheaper Windows-based PCs.

EDIT:::
    Oh and the main reason Macs are still on top for video editing is the OS allows you to designate where memory is used and how much. You can set it up to restrict all memory functions besides the core OS and use the rest of it to speed up the Video Editing process. At least that's what I remember from my friend who had a mac (2 macs and 4 pcs in his room alone).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's all a matter of taste. If Windows gives you problems, a Mac won't. If, however, you've mastered Windows, you may feel uncomfortable with the Mac interface.

I just use a Mac because it's pretty solid, and I don't want to have a glitchy computer that keeps crashing when I'm trying to do important projects (this is just me talking from experience----anyone else's view on the subject really depends on how they maintain their computers_. That being said, a PC can be pretty stable with the right maintenence.....it's just less of an issue with Macs. Just don't believe anything you see on those "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

Also......since the hardware is virtually identical (because of the intel switch), I'd advise anyone interested in switching over to Mac OS to go here: www.osx86project.org

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Do as Elwell suggested and do a search first. Do it NOW. then come back here. That should be just enough time for the morons stuck in their own little world with phoney info to prove why their heads are stuck up their asses to gather and turn this thread into a typical childish flame war.

"and i can't get that easy to the programs like photoshop and painter.

and i can't play most of the game's i like..."

Just for the record, the fact that you even made these statements proves either you're listening to narrow-mainded assholes or you haven't done a damn bit of serious research at all on your own. Good start, dude...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why are you such a tool? Just because your life sucks doesn't give you the right to lash out at complete strangers on the internet, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Do as Elwell suggested and do a search first. Do it NOW. then come back here. That should be just enough time for the morons stuck in their own little world with phoney info to prove why their heads are stuck up their asses to gather and turn this thread into a typical childish flame war.
    The only ones turning it into a flame war are you and Elwell. Not one person has given a rude or negative comment, and yet you feel the need to bring hostility. I'm starting to notice a pattern here. Nice going, dickwad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, hell...

I'm so fuckin' sorry. I didn't know you were here. Oh Great Lord. You're right, of course. Since the world's greatest authority on everything has entered the room, Elwell and I will just shut up and let you spell out the proper procedures from here on. Sorry again for intruding into your turf...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwing View Post
    actually things run slower on bootcamp, and there are some limitations...you wont be able to get some windows programs to work 100% with it.
    Wrongo. You don't run anything on Bootcamp- you just use it to set up the hard drive to run Windows natively on the intel processor. It's exactly the same as running Windows on a Dell or an HP box.

Maybe you were thinking of virtualization, which is slightly slower and does have some limitations as to what will run properly...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    macbook (plain not pro) because they look and feel so nice and that goes a long way in my book. i've been waiting along time for a pc laptop company to come out with something that doesn't look like ass but at this rate i'll be waiting forever. personally am planning to go macbook/bootcamp/vista route

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have to understand.. that your elders (Meaning Elwell and the Kitty amd any on else who has been on CA for more than a week) have seen this exact same thread go by at least 100 times. It always gets contentious and it is totally inevitable. your best bet is to do some research and then get which ever is the best tool for you.
    and I must add I am totally tempted to delete it for dejavue myself
    chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Research good....Google is your friend. I'd pipe in with a suggestion for a computer except that I agree with Elwell....it should redirect you....along with all those "What tablet should I buy?" threads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by oma View Post

Sorry but those statements are completely false.

The least expensive Apple laptop on their web site is $1,099
    That is with a duo core Intel 2.0 Ghz chip and 1gb of ram. You can certainly find other laptops for cheaper but they will not be close to the same specs. A quick look at bestbuy.com shows no laptops below 1,000 with a duo core and 1gb of ram. Most have 512 ram which is well below the recommended ram to run Vista. Most also list the proc as a "centrino" a lower end chip with less math power, (floating point unit if memory serves), making it less idea for graphics work. Additionally with Apple the computer will still be running smoothly in 2 years when MS wants to release the next OS with even higher hardware requirements. The same holds true for high end laptops as well.

The software statement is just flat out ludicrous. Photoshop has always been available on the Mac, as has painter, since their inception.

Gaming: Firstly if you really want a sub $1000 you won't be able to game on it anyway. Not effectively at least. With Boot camp you can even boot a Mac into windows if you so choose and run everything a windows laptop runs.

I really don't care what you choose but do the tiniest bit of research for yourself and you will see many of your assumptions are simply false.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, hell...

I'm so fuckin' sorry. I didn't know you were here. Oh Great Lord. You're right, of course. Since the world's greatest authority on everything has entered the room, Elwell and I will just shut up and let you spell out the proper procedures from here on. Sorry again for intruding into your turf...
    Dude, just shut up and go away. You bring nothing but torment and hostility to this community, so you're better off just keeping your goddamn mouth shut. Just because you've been here longer doesn't make you any less of a troll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You just accused Elwell (one of the most respected and knowledgeable people on this forum) of starting a flame war for stating the obvious, and ...I'm... bringing torment and hostility to this community?

Puh-leeze forgives me, Mastuh. I ain't hardly too smart and sumtimes I jus fucks up sumtimes... It won't happin' agin...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It amazes me that every time you say anything you prove you're too immature to even act in a civil manner regarding the most trivial and insignificant matters such as this. The last time you and I exchanged banter, you told me to "kiss your ass" when I made a simple comment regarding Draconian intellectual property laws. I try to be as civil and mature about this as possible, but if you're going to act like a 2-year-old, expect to be treated like one.

As for Elwell, it surprises me that "one of the most respected and knowledgeable people on this forum" would have the audacity to say "Get over it" instead of offering advice. This was clearly a sensitive issue for this person, and rather than give support or guidance, he spat in her face.

Like I said, just because someone's been here longer----or even given administrator priveleges----does not make them any less of a troll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I take it this means my ass will remain lonely and unkissed, then?

[OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER: The above statement has not been previously reviewed or approved by the great lordofthebling. Management warns that viewing such messages may cause headaches, a rise in blood pressure and possibly offensive behavior, as well as constipation, the fumblies and loss of appetite. Such messages will also almost certainly result in following, even more ignorant messages...]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't patronize me. I really think it's sad that a guy in his 40's or 50's with such an impressive professional legacy has nothing better to do with his time than spew obscenities at a complete stranger on an internet message board.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Correct, as usual, Mastuh...

May I have your permission now to log off and go finish painting my front door? It really needs it...

[OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER: The above statement has not been previously reviewed or approved by the great lordofthebling. Management warns that viewing such messages may cause headaches, a rise in blood pressure and possibly offensive behavior, as well as constipation, the fumblies and loss of appetite. Such messages will also almost certainly result in following, even more ignorant messages...]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I give you permission to go to hell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Correct, as usual, Mastuh...

May I have your permission now to log off and go finish painting my front door? It really needs it...

you are such a naughty kitten!
    better go to your corner and hide your face
    ...and you will have to sit in the Comfy Chair until lunch time, with only a cup of coffee at eleven

seriously now lordofthebling go and take care of your own problems
    or go cut yourself to make the pain go away
    or draw

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have any problems. I'm not the one harassing complete strangers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He doesn't mean me, either. He's obviously still pissed I showed up late on prom night...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you going to say that every time you post a message from now on?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.