Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Can art affect lives?

I've been pondering those sense-of-life things lately (I do that alot, especially after absorbing much carbohydrates) and well, I came to some conclusions, but I'm wondering what yours are.

See, there's a purpose to most of professions. As in, lawyers are supposed to maintain some justice, masons build human's shelters, urbanists plan human's living space, medicine doctors... you get the drill.

But can art affect human lives? And I don't mean affecting the artist's life. I mean, does it affect the viewer? As an artist, you can get inspiration out of someone else's work, but how can ordinary people benefit from art? I don't think I know anyone ( out of non-artists ) who gives second thought to artpieces he sees, they just glance at it, stare if it's particularly impressive, and then move on. Can fine art have such an impact on people that it could push them to make changes in the world around them? Affect decissions they make?

Aren't artists just a bunch of parasites who work for the sole purpose of satisfying their own ambition or at most, give some brief, insignificant visual pleasure?

I am really not trying to insult anyone (duh, I'm trying to be an artist myself) , I'm just questioning if an artist career is a way to satisfy one's selfish ambitions or if it can serve any greater purpose.

What are your reasons behind making art?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So much of what you see every day has its roots in art - your tshirt designs, car, house, down to the plates you eat from. They're not in a gallery, no, but they were designed and made to look a certain way.

And that's just things that have other purposes than being art. Art has the ability to entertain, to intrigue, to cause self reflection, move, etc. And, through media, it's defining your reality and mine (go read Baudrillard).

Art (and consequently design) gives us opportunity to transcend the barriers of traditional language and communicate on a whole new level.

Aren't artists just a bunch of parasites who work for the sole purpose of satisfying their own ambition or at most, give some brief, insignificant visual pleasure?
    you might want to rethink your words here, you're going to piss a lot of people off with that .

hope this starts to clarify stuff, if not then shout.

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Imagine what the following would look like if no visual artist was involved in their making:

cars
    buildings
    furniture
    your computer
    movies
    computer games
    silverware
    clothes
    books

Society doesn’t *need* elegantly designed forks, or computer games that are fancier-looking than what Atari once made, or fancy images of imaginary places; but people *want* these things. When they stop wanting these things, they will stop paying for them.

I make art because I enjoy the process, because others enjoy the product, and because it pays my bills.

I enjoy having common objects around me that are made by artists because I will be inclined to keep and use them for decades longer than I would be inclined to keep some piece of factory-made junk. Artists of everyday items are better for the environment because their work is not as often considered to be disposable.

Image-making is a form of communication, and I am interested in using it to better the world much like any writer or painter of religious iconography could do. This is a long-term goal of mine.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    "_____"career is a way to satisfy one's selfish ambitions or if it can serve any greater purpose.
    This attitude can be applied to ANYTHING.
    Careers DON'T do anything. It's the PEOPLE who make the differences.
    It's what YOU do with your career, that will serve any "greater purpose"...if you choose.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Society doesn’t *need* elegantly designed forks, or computer games that are fancier-looking than what Atari once made, or fancy images of imaginary places; but people *want* these things. When they stop wanting these things, they will stop paying for them.
    I'll have to disagree with you on that. Society does need them, yes people may not want specifically want pretty forks and the likes, but they still need the aesthetic fix one way or another. That's the thing people do want things that look nice, we wouldn't create them to like nice if they didn't. It's (for must of us) in our nature to want art or artsy things, things that are pleasing to the eye or communicate in one interesting way or another.
    Sure, the fork isn't needed to look nice, the atari development doesn't have to happen, but they're specifics; the base of it, the looking nice, that does need to happen and people will make sure it does.

I think the very fact that they haven't stopped paying for them yet pretty much proves that, and even when they can't afford to pay for them people will always find art elsewhere.

As for the original question: Yes. I could go into more detail, but that'd make this one hell of a post and I'm too lazy right now.

As for are artists just parasites[?] No, of course not. They produce something to sell, and if people don't want it the artists starve. They earn their worth, and there's no parasitic side to it whatsoever, because they do produce something that people want, nay, need!

Last edited by Rhynome; June 11th, 2007 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    I get your point. Yes, I know that most of objects everyone uses everyday was designed by someone, probably an artist. But my point is that I would still overuse my computer, my tv, radio and microwave even if it didn't look half as fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N
    Art has the ability to entertain, to intrigue, to cause self reflection, move, etc. And, through media, it's defining your reality and mine (go read Baudrillard).
    Care to elaborate on that? (:

And that's an interesting point about enviroment, Seedling, now that I think about it...
    And also, the 'form of communication' part - that's exactly what's on my mind when I think about how art itself can be useful. I'm torn between resuming technical education and pursuing a dream of making an illustrated novel for kids. But, don't you think it doesn't make any difference whether it's good art or kitsch when it comes to communicating your thoughts? I know that it does make a difference to me, because I'm into art and am allergic to clichés. But does it matter to an ordinary man who prefers busty elves to most sophisticated work of art? If it conveys your thoughts, what does it matter if it's refined or simple?

When was the last time you were so moved by a particular piece of fine art that you changed your aproach to any aspect of life (not including any purely artistic reflections)? Was it a traditional painting or a comic? Or maybe, which affects your view of life more - novels and movies or paintings?

Also, do ordinary people with no interest in art even care if something looks correct in terms of composition, colour choice etc. ? Does having a visually (un)actractive website affect how well your products sell? I know that any employer would more likely hire someone with better skill and taste, but that's not necessary because of need, more because he has a choice. The question is, does it matter for the potential client that visits his site or reads ads?

And then, does it cause more respect when you say "I make fine art" than "I'm an architect"? Or "I paint cubistic art for living" as opposed to "I wrote that high school textbook about the theory of relativity " ?

Do you think people have an actual need for experiencing art? As in, would it change their life for worse if they were deprived of it? And futuristic paintings - can they point directions for development because of their artistic quality or technical thought behind them?

Man, I think sometimes I ask too much questions. Sorry for that, smack me if I'm thinking too deep into that. Maybe I need to get a job to rid myself of free time for wondering about abstract matters.
    And when I say 'ordinary' people (just for the record) I don't mean to look down on people without artistic background P:
    And, Brendan, you might have a point, but I won't rephrase the parasites I meant it in a neutral way.
    I'm still not sure if I conveyed my thoughts fully, maybe I need to organise them. Until then--

P.S. oooh, new posts *dies*
    will reply as soon as I get my next dose of sweets.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhynome View Post
    I'll have to disagree with you on that. Society does need them, yes people may not want specifically want pretty forks and the likes, but they still need the aesthetic fix one way or another.
    Actually, I agree with this; however, people do not need any one particular aesthetic thing. An illustrated copy of the Lord of the Rings is not necessary on its own, a pretty set of forks is not necessary on its own, a pretty view of a lake from a window is not necessary on its own; but each person will reach for some visual beauty of some sort.

[edit] Rinmon - you ask good questions, and I'm going to need some time to think about them. :-)

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Hmmm...I guess art gives "non-artists" something to dream of - and dreams can change the world

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rinmon View Post
    Man, I think sometimes I ask too much questions. Sorry for that, smack me if I'm thinking too deep into that.
    *SMACK*
    You asked for it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by corky13 View Post
    Hmmm...I guess art gives "non-artists" something to dream of - and dreams can change the world
    Have you been watching Disney films again?
    Man, what have I told you about doing that? Remember, one a month, two tops.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhynome View Post
    Have you been watching Disney films again?
    Man, what have I told you about doing that? Remember, one a month, two tops.
    *lol* xD sorry boss but Disney knows how to draw hot chicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rinmon View Post
    I get your point. Yes, I know that most of objects everyone uses everyday was designed by someone, probably an artist. But my point is that I would still overuse my computer, my tv, radio and microwave even if it didn't look half as fancy.

Care to elaborate on that? (:
    No, sorry . There's a lot more to it than a simple explanation, and I'm still learning this stuff. Art is at the core of culture, and culture is one of the deciding factors where a individual's identity is concerned. Of course it gets complicated from there on due to capitalism, consumerism and mass media and the fact that art is intertwined with them. Point is art has as much to do with the identity of the non-artist as it has with the artist, if not more.

Sorry if I'm not making sense, really tired and need to get back to work. Hope that helped some .

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    yes....

first

take the negative first

examples of effect:

the dutch newspaper cartoon that caused uproar for the Muslim community....

World war 2 propaganda, art was used to make enemies appear monsterous, to illustrate the threat of the axis power to create a sense of community... to programs peoples emotions

Art also serves as a document of time, how much of our historical infromation of certains period in hinstory are based on paintings or sculpture.

Art is a form of communication, a snapshot of human emotions,it is like lightning in a bottle.
    It is answers and askes of us questions that we can not otherwise communicate.

if the answer was no, would C.A exist?

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1