Once again...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Once again...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Once again...

I'm taking stock and looking at things.

I know one of the Ten Commandments states not to have any other god before me, but Brad Bird is up there, and I want to be up there with him, or comin' up realll fast. I just turned 23, and up until yesterday, felt like I was running out of time. There's tons of people "ahead" etc. There's tons of younger artists who could wipe the floor with me in terms of straight art skills. Yadda yadda. (Sketchbook)

Grief's post
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99169
    stopped the doubtful nonsense.

So I need to get goin'! HooAH!

I'm at the point now where I no longer listen to negative people or start doubting myself, because where I want to go, there is no room for that kind of crap. Nobody wants a timid director.

My ultimate goal is to create animated films, and if need be, start up my own studio.

Ok, now that I have that figured out, there's just one question.

How do I get there?

Every time I look at the industry, and the throng of people that are trying to get in, I see a money draining rat race. It makes me wonder if there are other trails that can be blazed...yadda yadda.

My most recent film school experience involved teachers who did nothing but throw books at me, regurgitate them, then tell me to make something meaningful. Great, I can read books, are you going to show me anything? No? Ok. Byeee!

I'm interested in telling stories with pictures. I don't care if it's 2D, 3D, film, slideshow, or illustration. I have visions in my head, they must get out! Since I started this journey as a video editor, I have a preference for flow, timing, rhythm, and movement...just a few things a director keeps track of as well.

Has anyone seen the Korean film, "Wonderful Days"?
    Breathtakingly beautiful, using miniature motion control, 2D animation, 3D animation, and even some live action bits. That's the kind of visual quality I'm aiming for. Characters, story, and plotting weren't good, and that's where I will succeed.

--Despite recent trends, the 2D animation medium has not been pushed to its limits, and I want to be the one to push it.
    --Despite the previous statement, I still want to learn how to interface with a 3d software package. (buttons aieee!)
    --Despite the previous two statements, I want to tell good stories and not let the visual elements distract from the main story.

So, I dunno. Where/how does one learn to "break barriers" and "create awesome stories". I ask this, because the program I was in didn't really teach, so much as it had you jump through hoops and create stuff, then "critique" whatever you created. Are more expensive schools structured the same? Is this typical of learning how to tell stories and animate?

Basically, right now, I'm like a wound-up toy, ready to go. But where? I want to make sure the path I take is the best, but I guess we really don't know how things will turn out in life. I know one thing though.

I will create 2D/3D animated films that are engaging and beautiful.

If you made it to the end of this post, thank you for your time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, good question. Sorry I don't have an any answers for you, but hopefully some people will and I'm sure the answers will help us all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been in the same boat. It seems like there are so many people heading into the animation, 3D/2D concept art creative-y entertainment industry that by the time I get there it'll be all picked over.

The "words of wisdom" given to me were that "cream rises to the top". If you have something (or more of something) good that the others don't, and make sure the world sees it, you will get a high placement even with more competition out there. Kind of a generic statement though, don't know how much it helped me...

Best of luck to you, I'm all for quality films. I don't know much about film school; perhaps you would fare better on a film-making forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to you both for replying. I know that was kinda long to read.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a great post! I'm the painting/drawing person at Max the Mutt, but I'll try to get the right people to look at this post and give you some advice. I do know enough to know you are right on - you care about all the right things. I'm sure they'd be really happy to have someone like you apply. We are totally hands on, but there are so many skills one needs to learn before getting to the point of "driving all the horses at once," which is what you really want to do. You may need to slow down while you get all the skill sets...but WOW what a vision! I love it. Our year 4 animation students do a film together, but its 3D. They have had classical animation and Flash in the first 3 years, as well as storytelling, storyboarding, layout and background design, background painting ,cartooning, character design etc, etc. Check our web site if you want the full curriculum ([url]www.maxthemutt.com). Make sure you hang on to your passion and your vision! We need more people like you in the animation industry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Maxine! It was my understanding that the animation industry in Canada was in need of good people. But just three days ago I was having lunch with a Vancouver Film School grad, and he said "they kick you out of the country pretty quick-like once you're done with school." I just don't know...

EDIT: This thread is dead, then perhaps I must find my own answers.

Last edited by Earendil; June 13th, 2007 at 01:54 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.