Help! The Scholastic Corporation wants to purchase my art...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help! The Scholastic Corporation wants to purchase my art...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Help! The Scholastic Corporation wants to purchase my art...

I just received this letter in the mail that says that the Scholastic Corporation wants to purchase one of my pieces for a flat fee of $250.00. They said that this was not a market price, but an "honorarium for (my) efforts in the visual arts. Having (my) art included in a corporate collection like Scholastic's is a major step in an artist's career".
    I think it's worth a little more than $250.00, but it is a once-in-a-lifetime oppurtunity.

However, they want me to fill out the purchase form by Wednesday, June 13. If this is a permanent collection, why do they need my consent right away?

Here's my main problem: I have no record/print of this work except for a little analog photograph of it at an odd angle. Are these purchasers willing to lend it to me to let me get a print made? Are they willing to make a print/good picture of it if I pay them?

And generally, from your experience, is it a good idea to sell art? I'm not even in college yet, so I'm thinking that I might want to keep all my work as a portfolio, especially since this particular work is so different from my usual-- it would better show the breadth of my work.
    Will missing one work make-or-break you when having it reviewed by employers?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As for keeping it for a portfolio, depending on how good it is you might "outgrow it" skillwise and want to replace it with something newer and better.

I don't know much about the whole honorarium or what that organisation is about, so I have no advice on that...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why not get a better photo taken of it? Nothing wrong with selling your work if you think that the compensation is fair. If you're not even in school yet, you probably have many years of development and growth to look forward to. Most likely, you're only going to get better. That said, don't hold anything you do too precious because it will likely be old news by the time you're looking for work.

You have to decide if the price (money and exposure of some kind?) is comfortable when weighed against any personal attachment to the piece. I've done paintings which I couldn't get rid of fast enough and I've done paintings which I don't plan on selling (at least, not any time soon). In the past I've turned down an offer or two which, in retrospect, I wish I'd have taken. I've also sold work that I felt somewhat reluctant to give up, though after some time has passed, I don't miss them at all.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    documentation of work is perfectly acceptable for portfolio presentations.
    i don't have any 'originals' in my portfolio, as my finished works are usually matted and framed for gallery exhibitions.

i say sell it. 250 bones is basically ramen for a whole year in college standards.

also you'll probably get some mail saying YOU MAY ALREADY BE A WINNER FOR PUBLISHER'S CLEARING HOUSE SWEEPSTAKES!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    documentation of work is perfectly acceptable for portfolio presentations.
    i don't have any 'originals' in my portfolio, as my finished works are usually matted and framed for gallery exhibitions.
    That's good to know-- should I go after a professional print or digital photo? Never mind, I guess you couldn't answer that without seeing the work...

Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    also you'll probably get some mail saying YOU MAY ALREADY BE A WINNER FOR PUBLISHER'S CLEARING HOUSE SWEEPSTAKES!
    What?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sell it! Are you kidding? Take some sort of record (can you scan it?) or whatever, and sell it! Money is money! o_O How is it BAD to sell work? Isn't that what you're SUPPOSED to do?

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really! you gotta learn to let it go... and if you are young enuff to be in HS..250$ is a damn good price. and the whole homnorarium thing is a tax dodge on their part... has nothing to do with you.
    Document... and sell!

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sell it, good grief get your name out there! You can always reference it.

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter." -Oscar Wilde

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.