Sketchbook: Alien Ape Star`s Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

Alien Ape Star`s Sketchbook

Last edited by Alien Ape Star; June 22nd, 2010 at 07:08 AM. Reason: first pic is not so cool
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice. I like the chick riding the dino. Reminds me of Aeon Flux style figures. You should finish it.

Last edited by Piranha Clan; June 8th, 2007 at 07:37 AM.
    Watch out for Piranhas

PIRANHA'S SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    The baby is creepy...*shudders*...

Watch out for Piranhas

PIRANHA'S SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanx! About the chick: i`ve seen aeon flux a few years after i drawn that but i admit the fact that manga and anime are a big influence on my work. About the alien child: goood, that was my intention!
    Now, some more sketches...

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Alien Ape Star; June 8th, 2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: an image is to big and ugly, need to remove it

Thanks
    some anatomy sketches and studiezzz

Thanks
    this my friend is awesome

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vigostar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Excellent! Love the studies and the rough handling of the inks, it really works
    This sb rocks! ill be back!

Thanks
    Thanx Vigostar, that thing spawned out of my boredom.. We were supposed to draw still life in my first year of college and I thought why not make the composition evolve by adding something that looks accidental... something like a coffe spill and I thought of rendering and coloring only inside the splash. Of course my assistents and instructors were not so keen on this kind of experiment so they did not get it...

Thanx Renier van der West, I promise I will post some new sketches soon.

Last edited by Alien Ape Star; June 9th, 2007 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    It' great to see you around here,Alien Ape star .......you've made a wise decision to start posting your stuff here rather than on visualart.ro , trust me .............I'm really impressed by the real life drawings you've made at the night drawing session in my university : especially since I'm not even close to your level ......which reminds me I should start doin some anatomy studies .... >_<
    I also wish you lots of good luck at the 75th chow.
    kisses. elle

Thanks
    Great stuff, the one Vigostar pointed out is particularly fantastic.
    You really seem to know your anatomy, but just so I don't post without really saying anything, In the anatomy studies, the palms of the hands seem a bit short, and the skulls facing us seem a little thin.
    Keep up the great work!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Thanx for everything, Heather ..

Thanx, Cup of Joe, i`m really sorry that I did not continue those experiments, but who knows, maybe in the not so distant future you guys could see more of the same experimental craze Thanx for the critics. Yeah, come to think of it a fresh eye is really usefull when it comes to a critique view of your own work. You are right, especially the palmar surface, the study on the left, seems that the palm-fingers ratio is a bit out of place but let`s remember that when drawing an ecorche you are drawing without skin, so everithyng you are used to, when it comes to proportions it`s a bit different since the skin, and also, the fat layer under the skin in some places is missing, so almost everything you draw will seem actually skinnyer, shorter, longer , anyway just different.. And about the skull being "thin" , i bet you ment a bit tall, right? Well first of all I really like drawing tall people so that must be the case, but also, I did not have a real human skull as a reference, just an old plaster model of a skull that was used in the anatomy study classes, and besides the view is a little bit looking down on it so must be a bit of a perspective distort.. Anyway thanx a lot for the crits.. it really help me to understand more about what I need to improve in my art

Last edited by Alien Ape Star; June 12th, 2007 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks
    Some old sketches I just scanned. They`re all made in 2007 except the manga chick.. (that`s made in november 2006 i guess) but a few months ago so they`re not that old..

Thanks
    Very nice sketchbook. I would offer some advice or crits but really all I can say is keep drawing and posting.

Love the Dino rider and the robot giving the girl a flower images. Great poses and nice clean linework.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Thank you Sevans, Ill do that, ill keep drawing and posting. Please don`t "puss out" of giving a crit. Onesty is the best policy in my book, so SHOOOT!

Thanks
    I would have given a crit, but there was no obvious area that I could see that needed working on.

Not saying it's perfect, just that you seem to have the basics down.

Thanks
    I see a huge contrast interms of quality. It appears that the majority of well drawn stuff you have done, you used other artists as reference or possibly you traced them? (Katsuya Terada, Ashley Wood, Skydoll artist, etc) If this is the case please label it as a study, and give the artists proper credit.

As for your life drawings, keep doing them, but think more about landmarks, and interior lines. Looks like the majority of them are just outlines, with no real sense of form, or line quality. Think more about which lines should be darker and stronger, and which should be thinner and lighter.

Thanks
    I have GOT to see more, this stuff is addictive.

Great work!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Action Ape View Post
    It appears that the majority of well drawn stuff you have done, you used other artists as reference or possibly you traced them? (Katsuya Terada, Ashley Wood, Skydoll artist, etc) If this is the case please label it as a study, and give the artists proper credit.

Looks like the majority of them are just outlines, with no real sense of form, or line quality. Think more about which lines should be darker and stronger, and which should be thinner and lighter.
    Well thanx for your quickie crit but if you would have been a bit more slower in processing my art you would have noticed that the well drawn stuff was labeld correctly. All you have to do is right click on the images and under file name you will see stuff like : "bilalian, Domu-katsuhiro otomo- fan art (metal engraving), Ludovique- style research Skydoll, Roy- style research Skydoll, style research Corneliu Baba, tank boy from Stand Alone Complex, clean_up style research-Ashley Wood, popbot_gun-style research-Ashley Wood, old_guy-style research-Ashley Wood, luis royo inspired "

About the other crit, the constructive one, about the line, and how should I have modulated it, thank you. I know that mostly because of my education (7 years of fashion design - 3 in high school, 4 in college) I tend to think my art in outlines and contours rather then volumes, and that my hatching technique should be improved following volumes and shapes. But I guess it was clear that in some cases I intended to use just contours or outlines, look it up, I guess it`s called line-drawing, and it`s not a sign of amateurism or kitsch, it`s just a drawing technique , nothing else.

About "tough chick", the one you think I traced it from a Katsuya Terada artbook, I admit that it was a mistake to not label it as an inspired work, because that`s just what it is, vaguely inspired. Not traced. I started to draw since I was 4 years old , and as I said before, I have artistic background so to trace another drawing, even my own, ould seem to me very amateur-ish and unacceptable. I will post the references later so everyone could see that i`m not bullshiting.

It blows my mind to find out that someone could think that I could trace some very famous artist artworks, not giving them credit and get away with it pld:

Thanks
    now, that the battle of the apes is over (hopfully ) , thank you Smokey, but you give me too much credit..I still have a lot of basics to cover.. hatching, perspective, human proportions etc... anyway we are all students and study we shell, `till we die!

Last edited by Alien Ape Star; June 22nd, 2010 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks
    Ahoy there Alien Ape Star! Grrreat sketchbook! love some of theses studies, and these imagination drawings... keep posting!

Thanks
    My apologies for the "tracing comment", I am glad to see you've cleared it up and educated me promptly on your sources. But, not everyone (aka very very few) is going to take the time and right click an image to see its name. JUST to make things clearer, so OTHER people dont get the wrong impression like I did, please just label it in the picture or in your post! Simple as that!

Ahahaha I am fully aware of what a line drawing is, and my critique was not directed towards those, as I can see your well aware. However even in your line drawings, things look really flat. Try to have your lines curve around the figure, around the form, to really push that illusion of 3D. Alot of the times, your lines curve, but not nearly enough to make your drawings pop. Now that I know most of your education was spent in fashion design, If you want to draw more convincingly, use this advice. If you prefer not to, then dont. No one here is forcing you to listen to what I or anyone else says.

Thanks
    Ahoy there Sealegs and thanx a lot!

Apologies accepted, Amazing Action Ape. Okay, point taken, it`s faster and better for everybody to leave a short text in the image, I`ll do that from now on. I totally accepted your advice concerning line drawing, don`t think you are the only one who has given me this advice ... I need to draw more often, a few hours a day at least... But I already have a full time job from 9 in the morning till 18 in the afternoon so that means I can draw only in the morning between 3 a.m. and 8 a.m. and at work when I take a 10 -15 minute breather....

I`m glad we could reason ape to ape

now, here are some fashion stuff

Last edited by Alien Ape Star; June 13th, 2007 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks
    hooot!!!

Thanks
    your anatomy rocks man.
    great sketchbook. the pencils on the elderly lady are amazing.
    and that chick riding the dino way at the top. Amazing.
    keep it up man.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dkounios View Post
    your anatomy rocks man.
    great sketchbook. the pencils on the elderly lady are amazing.
    and that chick riding the dino way at the top. Amazing.
    keep it up man.
    Thanx Dkounios but let`s not blow this out of proportion I still have a lot to learn, for example I kinda suck at drawing hands or feet. The elderly lady (the one drawn in pencil not the other one in sepia) is my grandmother (from my mother side)

Thanx Kfeeras!

Thanks
    awsome stuff. you have my envy and admiration for such imaginative ideas and use of the human figure.

Thanks
    Great updates. Really love some of the 'wash' pics.

Thanks
    Jeesus christ ...too fuckin gwed! ur figure art are top notch man! great sketch book!

Change is here to stay....i guess!!

check my work at http://www.pixelputra.com

Thanks
    Thanx everyone!

Last edited by Alien Ape Star; June 14th, 2007 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    In your second to last drawing you posted, I've totally drawn that hot asian lady too. It's such a lovely picture. You have a much different take on it, I like it. I was just trying to do portraits better.

Your stuff is really great. You have such a good grip on anatomy. D: I'm jealous. I struggle with it so bad.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1