depresion is responsible for lack of inspiration/motivation?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: depresion is responsible for lack of inspiration/motivation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

depresion is responsible for lack of inspiration/motivation?

I think I am depressed

and lately I have been feeling like less creative and enthusiasmated
    like that I dont want to do anything
    and when I want to draw something I got a feeling of droping the pencil and just do nothing

is this for depresion or other thing?

ME NO SPEAK ENGLISH SO FOK IU
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    internet forums are not the place to recieve proper medical diagnoses.

it's too vague to ascertain the exact reason for your lack of motivation, it could be a myriad of things: job/school distractions, financial/family situation, relationship issues, lack of energy through poor diet or sleep routine. imbalance of chemicals in the brain leading to depression is one of many possibilities.

but yes, depression affects the entire body and can be assosciated with lack of interest and energy.

[note: Grief is not a medical professional, but merely a know-it-all punk]

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by <RJMC> View Post
    I think I am depressed

and lately I have been feeling like less creative and enthusiasmated
    like that I dont want to do anything
    and when I want to draw something I got a feeling of droping the pencil and just do nothing

is this for depresion or other thing?
    Probably.
    Get help.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipMcgee View Post
    [flip's assault]
    you sonofabitch i turn my back for one second to find THIS and you nailed everyone on this thread for some critical damage, look at me, i dropped most my gold coins.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you feel depressed, you probably are and should talk to a professional about it. they'll help you figure out if it's situational/emotional (ie are you depressed because of some life event) or chemical (are you depressed because your body's somehow out of whack).

i suffered from chemical depression for a long time and still do from time to time. i didn't find that drugs helped, and in my opinion it's a bandaid effect only. plus I didn't like the side effects. i was groggy and couldn't think clearly when I was on them.

for me, it was all in a change of lifestyle. i started eating hormone-free meats, try to buy organic produce and other items as often as I can, am cooking most things I eat from scratch since it's healthier (you can limit things like preservatives, salt, colors, sugars, etc), changed my lightbulbs to full spectrum lightbulbs, excersizing more (excersize releases endorphines in the body that make you feel happy. when you have a chemical depression the body may not make enough of these chemicals), and trying to get more sunlight! sunlight is important for your body for vitamins and to regulate your internal clock among other things. so open your curtains and try to get outside more often (wear sunscreen! ).

i'm not a professional or anything, but just sharing my experience.

also remember that it's ok to take a break. get out of the house and go do something you've never done before. it might inspire you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NoobChic For This Useful Post:

tomwaits4noman is offline well, that's a pipe of a different color Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those symptoms does not mean it is depression, there are other factors too
    I was suffering from depression for wuite a while did not know it at least not till it bit me on the ass,

go to a doctor tell him how you feel and tell him you think it might be linked to depression or maybe its not.....

honestly a website full of artists we are going to give you different answers

there will be a common thread through most of them

Talk to a doctor

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno I usually associate those symptoms with art slump... I personally wouldn't go see a doctor, but I don't know your case so it might be best .

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that depression is usually associated with abuse.
    I've been told that depression is nothing more then an adult temper tantrum.

So, you have to figure out what kind of abuse is causing your depression?

I came to the conclusion that it's not so much about competing with other people, but whether you are progressing as a human being. Don't try to live up to other people's standards, but try to assess whether you see a progression in yourself.....are you the same person you were 10 years ago?....and 10 years after that?

People have a tendency to develop this Rat Cage mentality......you have to figure out how to do away with the cage and the rats.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont know if its depression, but you could try going out with a friend. force yourself to, even if you dont feel like it. a few weeks ago i felt the same as you, it was a really lousy feeling and i didnt want to do anything for the whole day because for some reason ,(i dont know what,) but i forced myself to get out of the house, went to a bookstore in town and just sat down to read some art books and bought myself something after that, and it helped alot. : )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider View Post
    Bullshit and bullshit.

I am surrounded by mature, responsible adults who have never been abused but who have needed professional help dealing with depression.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've lived with alcoholics and people with personality disorders.....what's so mature about that?

Sometimes people don't know abuse when they see it.

Hey, y'know, these are just my insights. You wanna disagree...big deal.

Last edited by NoSeRider; June 8th, 2007 at 09:30 AM.
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to call bullshit on that too. I don't know how you qualify your observations as "insights" based on people with chemical dependancies and mental illness. Depression is not either.

I was not abused and had no reason to throw an "adult temper tantrum". I just woke up one day and felt like crying for no reason. I had no reason to be sad even, life was going great at the time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good god, NoSe. My husband was never abused. My best friend was never abused. These are people whose lives I know very well. They have had rough times, but neither of them has ever suffered abuse. And neither is throwing a tantrum. There are many causes for depression, up to and including the brain just plain not functioning correctly all by itself. The brain is an organ, and just like any other organ, it can malfunction.

[edit] Depression is a common ailment, by the way. If you go around voicing these opinions among your friends, chances are you will alienate more than a few. And if you ever find yourself in the position of being depressed, you are going to be lonesome as well.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...pression+abuse

It's just a question if it applies to you?

You Ain't no Nina!.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. A Google search. I'm so impressed.

[edit] Depression can be a result of abuse. But other things can cause depression too. I really don't understand what you are trying to prove.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm proving that this is not a black and white issue. I ask questions and make statements to see the full spectrum.

You Ain't no Nina!.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm proving that this is not a black and white issue. I ask questions and make statements to see the full spectrum.
    Of course it's not a black and white issue! Can you be any more obtuse?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you? I don't disagree with what you're saying, but you're disagreeing with me.

You Ain't no Nina!.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    abuse can be a situational cause of depression, yes. but:

a) not all depression is situational/emotional. it can be chemical (as in my case).

b) not everyone who is depressed is abused. so don't generalize.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depression is a mood disorder, generally if this feeling is consistant and lasting for a long period of time (2 weeks or more) it could be. But there's lots of different terms and diagnostics for depression, the major thing is the amount of time it is lasting - this feeling of being unmotivated, and if you feel it's affecting your day-to-day routine then you should go see a cognitive therapist.

One day or two out of a week is not depression, everyone goes through that sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Utter nonsense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My father is bipolar. I grew up with this stuff.

I'm not denying your experiences,so don't deny mine. If you're gonna talk about serious problems.....well.

And I said I was 'told'....I'm not certain I should believe it?

You Ain't no Nina!.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your father is bipolar. that's a mental illness. NOT DEPRESSION.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <RJMC>

depression is a hard one to nail down and we are still in the early stages of learning how to treat it. for some, exercise and diet can correct foul moods. sleep is probably one of the most important things you need to keep your brain happy but if the bad feelings keep you from giving your body and brain what it needs, you should seek medical help.

also, most artists are generally more sensitive (sensitive to all information, not just criticism) than others which can make life difficult at times. if you weren't as sensitive you may not have the burning desire to create so some mood swings are to be expected.

alot of times you have to fight through the apprehension and force yourself to create something even though you don't feel like it. as an illustrator and animator i deal with this alot at work. my style is more dark, but at work it's all wholesome and educational and sometimes i just gotta take a break and draw a demon to balance it all out. i myself am just coming off an artistic drought and regret the time i've lost. however, the important thing is that im doing it now and have improved alot over the past couple of months.

pick that pencil back up <RJMC>!!! and never be afraid to make horrible artwork, it's best to get it out of your system so you can move toward the good stuff!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My father is bipolar. I grew up with this stuff.

I'm not denying your experiences,so don't deny mine. If you're gonna talk about serious problems.....well.

And I said I was 'told'....I'm not certain I should believe it?
    I find it interesting how you use other people as your "proof". I wonder what would happen if you let those people speak for themselves...

Anyway, I've suffered from depression for almost 8 years, since I was 12 years old. To those that have never experienced it, it is difficult to understand. And it's difficult for us to describe. But I would hardly call laying in bed with a migraine, in a catatonic stupor, a "temper tantrum". I'm sure you've been around people like that, but you've seriously misinterpreted their behavior. Or you're just ignorant. Your choice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipMcgee View Post

I loled.

Lol, It sucks that I'm asian. I can't help it if I look like a million other people.

My Sketchbook: Critics and Comments would be AWESOME.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69016

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *click*...*Bam!*

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my style is more dark, but at work it's all wholesome and educational and sometimes i just gotta take a break and draw a demon to balance it all out.
    best quote of 2007!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, glad you liked that one. should probably let this thread die but oh well.....here's a little sketch i did off to the side while working on a wholesome pink princess character in flash. all pink and no demons makes electric goat a dull boy....

[IMG][/IMG]

peace out!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4