Insomniac art: is anyone else this way?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Insomniac art: is anyone else this way?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Insomniac art: is anyone else this way?

My best art is always done at like 3 in the morning when I can't sleep. For some reason I get incredibly inspired when I'm just lying in bed trying to sleep...but it's also frustrating because I can't seem to ever organise all the ideas in my head so whatever I create always turns out to be a jumbled mess that is a semblance of what my head looked like at the time. anyway...i was just wondering how many insomniartists there were out there...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to stay up all night and draw. Unfortunately, I need my beauty sleep. Getting up early is life's greatest challenge for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get the most work done from 9 pm to 3 am. Usually I come up with the ideas during the day and work on them during the night. Everything is so much more tranquil then.

So I guess I match the artist stereotype, shuffling in my slippers late at night.

Just try to schedule your work around the time you are productive.

| My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chuck,mate Texahol and several others ,,.... Ihtink theres a whole bunch of insomiacs in here

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya know I almost always get inspired to do something before I go to sleep (lately that's been around 2 or 3 am), so I definitely hear ya on that. I remember being told by my high school art teacher that studies have shown people get increased creativity when they exercise or when they have had a lack of sleep. never checked the merit of this, but it always made sense to me (plus, I liked my art teacher ).

tomwaits4noman is offline well, that's a pipe of a different color Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    personally as i am going to bed i usually think about projects or ideas i have the problem is when i am thinking about these things i can't sleep so it normally takes me an hour to get to sleep and i go o bed late and get up early and am a light sleeper I have had insomnia for about 6 yrs now, when i first got it i was tired all the time but mybody adjusted that and I became addicted to caffine to keep awake.

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in Ė study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I suffer from insomnia like that, too. Too much of any one thing during the day and my brain will try to continue doing it when I fall asleep.

A few days ago I had a long night of painting floating market rooftops in my sleep for the environment of the week. :-P

I tried to use this falling-asleep creativity in college to generate ideas for a piece of fiction I was writing. Mostly what I got out of the exercise was a semester of sleep-deprivation. More recently I have experimented with ways to shut down my brain before bed to prevent this late-night thought-churning; and as it turns out any relaxing and non-creative activity before bed can suffice: reading, low-key games, television.

Also Iíve discovered that one key to a happy marriage between two insomniacs is a second bed, so that when one of us canít sleep, at least the other gets a good nightís rest.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Coinpurse is offline fishing for boots... Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ditto
    I actually used to work the graveyard shift so I stay up until 7:00am sometimes and sleep during the early hours until I have to stop by the office. Really, I only get about 5 hours of sleep daily if I'm lucky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chronic insomniac here... I can relate to what you're talking about, Glendalia. For whatever reason late at night when I should be getting tired I suddenly get all sorts of inspiration out of nowhere. It's bizarre... as if the brain starts dreaming before you sleep, hehe

Strangely enough, my artwork is always, always better when I do it late at night when I'm exhausted but can't sleep. Perhaps it prevents me from overthinking what I'm doodling.

Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    More recently I have experimented with ways to shut down my brain before bed to prevent this late-night thought-churning; and as it turns out any relaxing and non-creative activity before bed can suffice: reading, low-key games, television.
    Hehe, I'm the opposite. If I start reading a book I'll be up until 5am not wanting to put it down (no matter how bad it is). The only way I can get to sleep is by writing down or sketching out everything that comes to mind... otherwise I continue thinking about it when I should be falling asleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ ha, same.

I normally get around 3 hours sleep a night, go like that for around 3 days, then fall asleep all afternoon, then go back to 3 hours sleep...sleeping tablets don't seem to help, I wake up just as tired.

I get very creative around 12am-4am, I sometimes worry that if the insomnia ever goes away I'll never get any art done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have trouble getting anything done before 1 A.M, whether it's art or essays for a class. Before it gets late, I can't sit still for more than 30 minutes to an hour without taking constant breaks when I'm doing work. I don't know why.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually draw/paint/work 10pm-onwards ^^; Think the peace and quiet helps the creative juices to flow. Guess some people are just born nightowls?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Onir View Post
    ya know I almost always get inspired to do something before I go to sleep (lately that's been around 2 or 3 am), so I definitely hear ya on that. I remember being told by my high school art teacher that studies have shown people get increased creativity when they exercise or when they have had a lack of sleep. never checked the merit of this, but it always made sense to me (plus, I liked my art teacher ).
    Clever that. Whenever it's like 5am and I'm this : | | close to going to sleep, I always get a really good image in my head of something awesome to draw. The same happens on my mile walk to and from school. But whenever this happens, by the time I've dug out a sketchpad and pencils, the moments gone and I can't get the idea back again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    insomnia is not fun at all.
    let's not make this out to be "oh, what a cool mental deficiency and joy it is to have"

if you find yourself taking 3 or more hours to fall asleep more than 5 times a week, seek a medical professional, it will not result in anything productive or beneficial to remain untreated. chances are you're not operating at your full potential and are unaware of your lack of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Azure_sea View Post
    Clever that. Whenever it's like 5am and I'm this : | | close to going to sleep, I always get a really good image in my head of something awesome to draw. The same happens on my mile walk to and from school. But whenever this happens, by the time I've dug out a sketchpad and pencils, the moments gone and I can't get the idea back again.
    it is the semi-conscious state of your brain "switching modes" into a different wave pattern for rest, because of this you are utilizing parts of your brain (possibly memory for ideas) which may not normallybe used during your daily routine.

it is said that Mary Shelley got the entire idea for her novel Frankenstein while in such a state of sliding into sleep.

ive often had wonderful ideas at the brink of sleep overtakign me, and they seem profound and i repeat to myself "dont forget this, dont lose this stream of thought" and even if i am lucky enough to write it down or remember it the next morning, the idea is usually awful when fully alert and in full consciousness. either that or im not in the same mental status and can't identify with the emotional quality of the idea in the same context.

Last edited by Grief; June 6th, 2007 at 07:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    it is the semi-conscious state of your brain "switching modes" into a different wave pattern for rest, because of this you are utilizing parts of your brain (possibly memory for ideas) which may not normallybe used during your daily routine.

it is said that Mary Shelley got the entire idea for her novel Frankenstein while in such a state of sliding into sleep.

ive often had wonderful ideas at the brink of sleep overtakign me, and they seem profound and i repeat to myself "dont forget this, dont lose this stream of thought" and even if i am lucky enough to write it down or remember it the next morning, the idea is usually awful when fully alert and in full consciousness. either that or im not in the same mental status and can't identify with the emotional quality of the idea in the same context.
    Do we have us a psychology graduate?
    Quite enlightening that, blew my mind a little. So sort of what I garnered from that was that when doing something tedious and boring, such as walking home or trying to sleep, the brain concentrates more on memories and such, to sort of fill the time? And that leads to awesome ideas?

And I wish Mary Shelley had got to sleep a little faster!
    Spent the last year analysing every little piece of chapter 4 of that novel. Our teacher thought it was so amazingly controversial and mind-blowingly gory that we'd all be riveted.

Hardly.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure_sea View Post
    Do we have us a psychology graduate?
    Quite enlightening that, blew my mind a little. So sort of what I garnered from that was that when doing something tedious and boring, such as walking home or trying to sleep, the brain concentrates more on memories and such, to sort of fill the time? And that leads to awesome ideas?

And I wish Mary Shelley had got to sleep a little faster!
    Spent the last year analysing every little piece of chapter 4 of that novel. Our teacher thought it was so amazingly controversial and mind-blowingly gory that we'd all be riveted.

Hardly.
    "Beware of artists Ė they mix with all classes of society and are therefore most dangerous."
    -Queen Victoria

i'm only smart enough to try to make a career out of drawing naked girls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well...I sure won't brag about the insomnia I suffer. I usually get six hours. Lately a little more. But one of my best works came about when I had NO sleep at all. I had a nightmare, stayed up ALL DAY and night and just worked like a robot until it was done. Lots of people like the effort, but I wish I could do that kind of work with 8+ hours of sleep on my side.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *raises hand*

I fit this bill ALL too well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well it's almost 4am now....and I've been happily doodling away....Im a freelancer so have the benefit of sleeping when I want....if I have a break/chill out, its usually in the daytime-then at night I hit the work till what needs to be done is done....if I'm in the zone I'll easily keep going till 8/9am-it doesnt really seem abnormal to me, im pretty used to this cycle-it just sucks when I need to be doing stuff in the daytime, waking up at 8am after 3 or 4 hours sleep sucks huge donkey balls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew, and my mom always says it's sick to start your work around midnight. Glad to know I'm not the only weirdo in the world. I tend to procastrinate all day long and when finally everyone else goes to sleep there are only three things left: go to bed too, do homework, or draw something. I almost always pick the last option.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am most active when it is dark, but I have problems with concentration between 4 and 6am, because I keep feeling very ill (which passes the next day). As for insomnia, I dont think I have it, but on a regular weeknight I will get around 6 hours sleep, less if I have a lot of university work to do, and I cant go to bed before 1 or 2am.

But I've also noticed how I'm more creative at night. Sometimes I forget to sleep when sketching or painting but I always end up with half-finished doodles which I then throw away or delete. I find its generally better to just come up with ideas at that point, and work on it the next evening after some sleep.

Sketchbooks to see:
    ~ Leo Ki ~ Zweit ~ Wilkerson ~ Wheezy ~

Sketchbook:Volchiha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely more creative at night. I normally actually get something done between 11PM and 7AM before school, and accounting class ofc. I can normally sleep, I just find it underwhelming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love working late, its so much quieter, all those stupid birds have gone to sleep. Those nasty butterflies too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, i really thought no one paints at night. during the week i start my art usually around midnight, then i keep going until my hands feel to tierd to lift a pencil or paintbrush, i go to bed for usually 3-5 hours and wake up at 7 am to go to school. you feel like shit for the first 2 hours, but then you are ready to stay up most of the night again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The more tired i'm the more i want to draw, weird. Lately i'be been drawing from 5 pm 'til 9 pm, then from 11pm to 5 or 6 am.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me too,
    the juices start flowing about 8-9pm, dont quit until 2-3 am, followed by
    bedtimes spent staring at the ceiling developing some profound thoughts about life in general,
    wife gets quite annoyed at me,

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.