Cliff City
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cliff City

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cliff City

Hi Guys, I've been working on this for a while. Having a little trouble with it, but I dont know how to improve it. Thanks for taking a look.

The bottom one is a slightly larger version. It is about 1/2 the size of the original which is pretty big. This was my first large landscape so I didn't know how large I should make the file.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, nice so far! One thing that gets me when i look at it is how dark it is all over the right hand side. Maybe add some of the lightness of the sky on the left, to the sky on the upper right? Might unify it more, and help that beauty of a tower stand out

My Sketchbook Please feel free to stop by and crit/comment!

My Blog!

My Deviantart

Painty paint paint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! What a gorgeous picture! Awesome mood...totally awesome.

I did a super quick overpaint by way of explaining the few tiny problems I see. The water doesn't have the right sheen or scale, and the coastline seems to be in a weird perspective. I tried to flatten the coastline out a bit and give it a tad more atmospheric depth. I also couldn't resist adding an in-parralax far side to the glass windows in the tower, to give it at least some thickness.

Killer piece. I can't wait to see more from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only problem for me is the diagonals pointing to the left. The main buiding has a midsection pointing to the left, the cloud formation forms a diagonal pointing to the left, pointing to this black dot on the edge of the painting. Intentional? Maybe create some point of interest on the far lower right corner... that's where my eye is going when i try to balance everything out. Aside from that....Looks very good!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really like where this is going. A few issues though:
    The sky on the left is really bright, especially compared to the rest of the pic, also, it seems to have little to no effect on the land and buildings. I'm still not sure how he did it, but I think YVerloc did a great job at the water.
    Extension on the left side of the building looks unfinished, and is not the same as on the right (might be intentional though).
    Also, it was only when I saw the person in the window that I realized the building was actually quite close, not sure if more people feel that way.
    I like especially the details on the big building, and your sky, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the great critiques and encouragement, I have a good idea what to fix now. Also, awesome paintover YVerloc, the coast area looks so realistic there! By the way, Anthis, that isn't supposed to be a person in the window, so I'll get to making sure it doesn't look like one right away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this alot. I might be able to help you out though. Much as I consider cropping to be the enemy, you really have alot of space where nothing is happening. That detracts from the overall. Also, the eye isnt led through the image because you need a dark value in the top left corner. What I did was crop it and move that thing that looks like a ship over into the left corner. I really think it needs more of the left side. I like the lights in the bottom, I think they could be brighter and there could be more of them. Hope you can use some of this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at the bottom those are... houses? buildings? Hard to tell. Maybe clarify some of them and definately Brighten up the sky not JUST in that top-left corner.
    Otherwise, the clouds and the floating tower-thing are really cool, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wassup guys, here is an update with changes. I tried my best with the water sheen and tried to add some interest in the bottom right hand corner. I put a tree there. What do you think? Should I keep it? The first image i will show has the tree, the second one shows the image without it. I ended up not cropping the image just because I want to keep the image closer to my original mental image. It was a good suggestion though. Also I tried to add a little more light to the right side of the image. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good! Though I must say that I like the cropping that Brianhamner did. The center of the round stained glass window on the main building is looking like a target/cross hairs to me, so either put it directly in the middle or move it further to one side. You can also have floating buildings in the background around the sunset as well to emphasize the distance. As for the foreground, maybe some shapes that lead your eye to the focus of the image, which to me is the balcony to the left of the round stained glass window.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K i think Im going to stick with this last one. I think it is time for me to move on and stop worrying about this image. I recropped the image, but I still maintained a lot of black and got rid of the tree because I really want to keep the image simple. I think i'll just take the rest of the stuff I learned and apply it to the next image I make. Thanks all. (BTW: if you see any glaring mistakes in this new image, please tell me!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. I love this picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the brushes, did you make them yourself? Or is that a trade secret?

"Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter." -Oscar Wilde

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This piece is awesome. I really like the color choices and the overall vibe.

-MO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, that really means a lot to me.

By the way, cmoreland, I used Painter X paper textures for the stuff, not brushes.

Last edited by laterDays; June 11th, 2007 at 03:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks great! It makes me want to go there! lol... my only suggestion is try to brighten the lights on the little village below? That way ur eye will go all the way around and around in your piece! Because your village below needs to be seen also! It looks so cool!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.