alternative ways to color line art

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: alternative ways to color line art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

alternative ways to color line art

hi, sorry if this is a dumb question, but im confused when it comes to coloring inked line work, i was wondering why the process of using channels and deleting the white of the paper is preferred over just using a multiply layer ontop of your line work for color or changing your lineart to multiply and just coloring underneath it, does this have to do with trapping the colors? Thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This has to do with the multiply effect affecting the layer benaeth it. So if your multiplying your color layer, it often won't be the exact same colors as you pick from your pallette. The other way round your line art will be affected by the multiply effect.

Channel selection and deltion of the white is the preferred manor of working because there is nothing in the place where the white used to be. No invisible multiply whites, no effect on the colors you pick. You can easily make layers underneath or above without having to deal with colorchanges due to the blending mode.

I love the channel tricky

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Piru- thanks for your response, it just must be me, i just find the method with channels complicated for some reason, i found this guys website http://mark-sweeney.com/ and he goes through the pros and cons of channels and layers for coloring line art. the only thing that confuses me now is the trapping of color, it says to select your line art, and contract your selection by 2 pixels, but when i do this certain lines which are very thin are no longer selected once the contraction is made, like the splatter affect below and certain thin lines, if any one could answer that, id really appreciate it, if what i am saying makes any sense.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually just select one channel of my black and white (or grayscale) line art(hovering over the thumbnail holding ctrl/command and clicking left mouse button). Then I go to the layertab and inverse the selection (ctrl/command + shift + i) I make a new layer and press Shift + F5 for a fill dialog. Here you can select black or any other desired color, and it will fill in perfectly, presercing any opacity or other fine details.

The thing is that for the transparancy effect it makes a 100% fill but very fine, so it seems to be transparent, but in fact every shade you see is not transparant at all, if you get what I'm saying. That's the only downside if any imo.

Piru's Portfolio - Piru.be - WACOM Buying Guide - SHOW your STUDIOS!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uziel's SB! - Piru's Sketchbook & Epias' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your help, i appreciate your explanations

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.