Painter X Problems in Mac
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Painter X Problems in Mac

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter X Problems in Mac

I have a new Macbook Pro and I have a problem where my painter seems really glitchy.. heres a pic

I'm able to see thru some windows like the color picker will disappear completely wh ere I can select colors and i can see the page under it.. any1 have any idea what could be causin this? is there a patch i need?
    Mac OS X 10.4.9
    Proc 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 3GB
    200GB HD

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also posted in the CGTalk Corel Painter forum this morning:

Hi,

Others experience that refresh/display problem too (including me now and then, in WinXP Home SP2).

No, there isn't a patch available for Painter X at this point.

A few suggestions that might help:

* Close other programs while working in Painter X.
    * If you still have the problem, hit the Tab key twice to hide, then show all palettes.
    * Minimize the Painter application window, then maximize it.
    * If you continue to have this problem, save your image, close Painter X, and relaunch.

I hope this helps while we wait for a patch to fix the refresh/display bug.

Cheers!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

kinda slow performance

i'm relatively new to painter and i just got painter x - it seems really slow sometimes, mind you i don't have the best computer in the world but it's a 1.8mhz G5 imac with 2 gigs of ram.

i turned off the enhanced brush ghosting which was a major performance boost but its still not what i'm used to in photoshop.

so the question i pose is, is painter just not as fast in general? am i expecting too much? it only happens with big oil brushes when i try to cover large areas.

just wanted to know what you all think!

thanks!

- vargucci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My mac is fully loaded, yet I'm also having slow issues.
    Sometimes it can take over a minute for a file to save, for cryin' out loud!
    Does anyone know how to debug Painter's issues with speed??

O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vargucci View Post
    i'm relatively new to painter and i just got painter x - it seems really slow sometimes, mind you i don't have the best computer in the world but it's a 1.8mhz G5 imac with 2 gigs of ram.

i turned off the enhanced brush ghosting which was a major performance boost but its still not what i'm used to in photoshop.

so the question i pose is, is painter just not as fast in general? am i expecting too much? it only happens with big oil brushes when i try to cover large areas.

just wanted to know what you all think!

thanks!
    Painter performs differently on different computers and a lot depends on how the artist works, too.

Read this tutorial by John Derry (pixlart). It should help you speed things up:

Hot-rodding Your Brushes in Corel Painter

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks jin!!

i realized that i can't quite paint as "fast" as i do in photoshop and changing my work habit has improved things dramatically, as well as really tweaking my tablet settings / brush tracking. although i do still find painter to be a tad on the slow(er) side, hot rodding my brushes is an enormous help.

thanks again!

- vargucci

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's good news, vargucci!

Thanks for taking time to let us know, and BIG thanks to John Derry for that tutorial.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iii,

from looking at your picture it seems that you have some gui-modification on your mac? I have had loads of problems with Unsanity's ShapeShifter (which uses the APE-system) when I have tried to use it. Small and bigger problems with some software, and of course clashes with the Mac OS X itself.

I've tried to use different kind of GUI-haxies in I guess all of the major OS X-versions, except actually in the 10.4., because finally I understood that they are just too risky, and not worth the hassle.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I got a pretty significant one. While working in fullscreen mode, the program crashes when ever I select all. I'm on a Mac Pro tower with two 2.66ghz duel core intel xeon processors with 2gb of ram. I've upgraded to Painter X.1 as well. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, Are there any patches or further fixes?
    Thanks.
    -Noel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter X.1 is the latest Update (patch) released just recently so no, there isn't another Update now.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Painter X.1 is the latest Update (patch) released just recently so no, there isn't another Update now.
    Hmm. This really is quite a strange problem as the computer is not even a week old. I have my scratch space allocated to an otherwise untouched 20gig partition on a second hard drive as well. I'm running the latest OS, 10.4.1 and have no other programs open and it crashes every time I select all in fullscreen mode without fail. Any idea of what might be causing this? I'd appreciate any input you or anyone else may have. I'm really loving the program otherwise.
    Thanks.
    -Noel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, I don't don't know what's causing this, but you might want to send a report directly to the Corel Painter Development Team at:

painterteam@corel.com

Also post the report/your message in the Corel Painter X newsgroup to see if anyone there has some ideas or a solution.

Add Server: cnews.corel.com

Subscribe to: c.PainterX

In the meantime, you might want to back up your Painter X User folder somewhere outside of the Painter X application/program folder and Painter X User folder. Hold down the Shift key while launching Painter X.1 the next time. That will restore Painter X.1 to its installed state.

Also, while working in Painter X.1, close other programs.

Good luck!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jinny.

I emailed the painter team and they got back to me right away, saying that they've been able to replicate the problem on two of their Intel Macs. So it's good to know that the problem isn't isolated to my machine. They also said a workaround or patch may be possible and they're looking into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's good news. The Painter Team is great and it's so nice they welcome reports from users, then respond as quickly as they can.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have experienced the same selection problem when in full screen mode on a mac. I am running Painter X on a Powerbook G4, so the bug is not unique to Intel Macs. Painter crashes when you use any selection tool (marquee, lasso, select all etc.) while full screen mode is toggled on. If you turn full screen mode off, everything works fine. As soon as I narrowed the circumstances down so I could recreate the crash consistently I reported it to the Corel team. Since the discovery, I have not used full screen mode and Painter X has been very stable

KM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a similar glitch, and like kodekon said it was a result of the shapeshifter mod not being fully compatible with the painter windows, before you fret much more try adding painter to the exclusion list in your shapeshifter panel and see if that fixes the issue for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.