Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Valkyrie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Valkyrie

Hello,

I've been lurking and critting for too long, but this time people can shred my stuff apart..
    Started as a sketch for the Character of the week topic "Fallen Valkyrie", but I was lacking free time at that point, and decided to finish it later on.
    Additional info: PS, mouse. No custom brushes used, apart for the grass (default ps brush, edited a bit). Not too familiar with custom brushes and PS in general yet. I was aiming for realism. I can upload closeups or bigger versions when needed.

Don't hold back please! Anything that can help me improve. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Piranha Clan is offline Unscarred by trials...a new level... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know about digital arts, but as far as the other, I'd say work on the underlying drawing more. You know, the usual advice around here- work on anatomy, study/draw from life, use refs if they help, yadda' yadda'.

Specifically, her left arm looks unnaturally twisted and her face/jaw seem to be jutting out much too far from the neck- almost like the head and spine are separated.

Glad you finally posted, keep it up.

Watch out for Piranhas

PIRANHA'S SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tip for anyone who uses Photoshop - NEVER USE THE GRASS BRUSHES TO DO GRASS. I repeat, NEVER USE THE GRASS BRUSHES TO DO GRASS. I've seen it done way too many times by amateurs. The brush is a cheap way out or means you're just too lazy to draw it. Use your painting skills man, draw out the grass, and be one of the better amateurs!

The clouds are too gritty. Don't rush on them just to finish your picture. I just find it odd when everything in the picture is smooth except for them. Her left hand is in an uncomfortable position. Her thumb might do better if it were facing up with her fingers visible, and thus changing her arm position. If her right arm were like that I'd assume that she's putting a strain on her muscles and she needs to relax it more. You're straining her neck if she tilts it like that. My suggestion is draw her head in the direction of her whole body and have it gently tilt to the side.

Another small suggestion is add some things to the background, maybe a mountains, castle, city, whatever fits the character situation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the pose and the character fits well into the background but I would suggest more detailed work on the clouds. I looks a little awkward with the grass being so fine and the sky not. I also think that the neck and head can be adjusted a bit; tilting a little upward and to the right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First, Sincere Apologies If this is offensive.... I dont mean to be arrogant, and am not an expert in anatomy. I felt that it may be best to just draw this out rather than describe it.

In my humble and uninformed opinion:

I feel like the right breast need to come down a little and her waist needs to come in more. Her neck thins out alot in your drawing, more than it should, you should try to find a reference for this. Also, I think the way the arm is bent and the hand is turned is really akwardly. Try and take this exact pose, it seems like a really akward position.

Her hips are covered by the cloth, but the position of her hips dosent seem to match the placement of her legs. I cant tell very well as it's mostly obscured by the cloth, but both her legs seem to be bent, making the distribution of weight seem akward.

The design of the armor is cool and you have put alot of effort into the scalemail.. I like the feathers.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Spiralfish; June 4th, 2007 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spiral : Nice drawover. XD

I'd agreee with the anatomy of the lady. Something with the hands is buggin' me too. I love the armor concept, but I think the plates on her boobies need some work for both positioning/anatomical reasons and some color work to make them look more metallic.

I think what Spiral is seeing in the legs/hips is caused by the shading and highlights on the skirt and the cloak. I actually got confused and thought the foot to the left was her right foot, and the one on the right was her left foot. I think this was because the foot on the right has armor on the back, on the calf, and the one on the left does not. It threw my eye off.

Her neck is also a bit thin and that fact is accentuated by the hair that is blowing under her chin and across her neck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shortydiva, I've worked with several pros that use the grass brushes to great effect. Like everything in photoshop, it's all about how you use it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Shortydiva probably means I should practice grass myself rather than relying on the brush, but I'm sure you can use it very well. First time I've drawn grass in PS, after some attempts I found the brush and decided to modify and try it out. Should learn it myself though, agreed there.
    I'm having problems on getting the right puffy look on the clouds, but compared to the rest, I spent little time on that. Hadn't noticed how big the difference was though. Bg needs some work, same with the neck/jaw thing. Thumb seems like a good suggestion too.
    YinYangi: Same, I think those are the worst parts now.
    Piranha Clan: Yea, still practicing anatomy. Probably wouldn't have noticed the jaw if not for your comment though, really needs some fixing.
    Spiral fish: By no means offensive, drawover is much appreciated! Seems like the anatomy and shape of some parts got lost along the way. Both you and Bijutsu-san got confused by the legs, so I'll redo those for sure. The one on the left also is her left, but as it is now, it might actually be better to place them your way.
    Bijutsu-san: Yea, the leg issue, thanks for showing the main problems there. Good point on the hair too, hadn't noticed how much of a difference that made.

I think I couldn't get "fresh eyes" anymore, it all seems so obvious now but I really felt the anatomy was fine while working on this. I'll see how I can fix that anatomy a bit, and work on some of the major weak points. Might post an updated version later on.
    Thanks alot for the crits and suggestions, I think its a great help.

Members who have read this thread: 1