In General

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: In General

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In General

Ok Im gonna buy alot of art equipment for sketching use.

Suggestions on pencils, charcoal or anything would be a pleasure.

I need a good sketchbook any suggestion on that too, anything in particular really , I know its the artist that makes the work look good but I would like some decent equipment to help me along , thanks.

Daniel Paine

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're just gonna sketch, buy a holder and stacks of printerpaper.
    (500 pages for 10 euro or even less).
    You can use the holder as a board to draw on and printerpaper is cheap.
    HB/2B/4B lead holders are nice to work with, but a regular pencil will do just fine.

If you're gonna render extensivly though, you might want to get paper with a higher sturdyness, rub your finders over the paper to get a feel of the paper, don't pick something super smooth or way too rugged.

Same goes for a sketchbook. It's nice to get a visual standard inside your head early on. Always go for the same size of sketchbook. A4 is nice to carry with you, give you lots of space to work on. (this helps for composition later on, you'll be able to adjust certain proportions easily to fit exactly what you want on an A4 paper. And then if you need to work in larger standards, you just double or even triple your working area.)

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the idea of buying a sketch book was to keep everything safe, neat and tidy. With A4 paper I have nowhere to put my sketches and I leave them about looking messy. I think having a sketch book will be benifical because everything will be easier to find and kept under mint conditions. Do you agree ?

I think , I'll buy more equipment just to experiment and get more feeling into my sketches by doing it, by the way thanks for the reply...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    this is what i use:
    (note: i am in no way advocating that you need these brands or to plunder money on fancy equipment)

Steadtler Pencils various from 5H-7B. i bought mine individually, so i don't have a nifty metal container. instead my sister bought me a Hello Kitty pencil pouch which i proudly use. there's absolutely nothing wrong with regular pencils, i prefer Dixon Ticonderoga #2, they are far superior to those piece of shit Eagle pencils... y'know the type with the bendy-particle wood and greasy lead.

Strathmore Sketchpad. 11x14 60lb sheets. as long as you don't get too intense with markers and ink, or stab the sketchpad with razor sharp pencils, the pages are fine. if you use incredibly fine tipped technical pens you may rip the fibers of the paper. also mechanical pencils tend to emboss the pages i reccomend 2 scrap sheets behind your image to prevent any bleed and embossing. but for pencil work and everyday use, this is the workhorse of my drawing inventory. 100 sheets for about $6-8 depending on the supplier.

for technical ink work i use Strathmore Bristol with a smooth finish. 11x14 100lb, 20 sheets for ~$7. pricey, but higher quality.

get a good lamp. i use one of those cheap-arm-thingy-lamps that you aren't supposed to use anything over a 60watt bulb. but 60watt is pathetic, so i have a 210watt fire hazard inches from my head as i draw.

i use a Steadtler Technical Pen Set and i'm in love with it. i was using Pilot G2 gel ink pens 0.5mm and 0.7mm for my linework, which were about $3 a peice. i began using about one a week which was slowly adding up. so the Technical pen Pen was a large investment, but refillable and sturdy as hell. ive used the pen set for years now, and they havent showed any signs of loss in quality from day one.

for lifedrawing i'd get a pad of newsprint, either smooth finish or rough depending on your style. this is optimal for gesture drawings and anything under 10 minutes. low quality paper, but cheap and effective for its use. 18x24 is what i tend to use to give ample room for arm movement. i'd get a second pad of higher quality paper for more resolved images.

In General
    most drawing pads will say either 'sketch' or 'drawing' on them.
    from all that i can tell, they are the exact same damn thing.
    same paper weight, same amount of sheets, same price per page, same texture. whats the difference? one is 'medium' the other is 'premium recycled'. they're both archival safe... so i guess they only specify the difference so patrons can feel more environmentally keen about their products. if someone would like to clarify the difference i'd like to solve this riddle.

i would suggest using an eraser that wont leave colored streaks (namely Pink pet, eff those). a quality eraser will only set you back about $1 and last a good long time. i use maybe 1-2 a year.

crud i could type forever about the crap i use... rambling though, need to get back to work.

Last edited by Grief; June 3rd, 2007 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christ you can type thanks alot man I appreciate everything you said, it was like a gift to me from god xD . No no not that special but I dig your sence of art, I dont mind being rude but did you mean work as in "going back to sketching" or do you work for a company and you did that in your brake Thanks for the post

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.