Sketchbook: Davicho's Artist in Training sketches, doodles, and school works *UPD 6/4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Davicho's Artist in Training sketches, doodles, and school works *UPD 6/4

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Davicho's Artist in Training sketches, doodles, and school works *UPD 6/4

UPDATES THROUGHOUT!

Just a little background while I brace myself for real critique...

I'm 25, and just started school at the community college this spring as an art major, planing on transferring to a 4 year university next year. Up until a year ago, I just doodled, recently I developed a deep interest in art and decided to go to school. I thought I'd share the assignments from my basic drawing class here, as I've lurked here for a long time...just haven't been brave enough to post. Off the bat I apologize for the GARBAGE lighting in a lot of these, it really messes up the look of a few of them. I don't have a big enough scanner since they are large drawings, so I had to Photoshop the brightness and contrast to make up for my digital camera. Particularly the 'Final' assignment and and the self portrait in Conte look a lot different in person. They are all in graphite other than the 'misc' ones at the end which are ink and brush/technical pens and the self portrait, which is Conte...I've never worked in color, value intimidates me The assignments were required to be in graphite ....anyway....

Still Life assignment:
    We had to pick an organic object to draw, and do it in 4 different line qualities. We had freedom as to how we approached it, I chose a fennel.

Bird House with ellipses assignment:
    Using ellipses (circles in perspective) we had to construct a birdhouse. I took some liberty with this one, but got an A anyway!

Perspective with 'mood' assignment:
    We were supposed to draw a room in perspective (one or two point) and inject some sort of 'mood' into it...I chose the shed in my backyard and tried to make it sort of forboding....

Self Portrait with Conte:
    This was my first attempt at actually drawing something real. I hate Conte crayons BTW. We had to do a self portrait using them....

Final Assignment:
    This was supposed to be a collage of sorts, we could pick any subject. We need to have one thing from a still life, one from a photo, one in perspective, etc. I just made everything up, and BS'ed the requirements....

Some other stuff:
    Valkyrie Profile fan art (unfinished):
    This was done freehand, and traced and transfered many times...that's why the underdrawing is so clean. It certainly was a mess to begin with....

Random stuff:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Davicho; June 4th, 2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: De-laming my sketchbook title...unsuccessfully
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Piranha Clan is offline Unscarred by trials...a new level... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA

First off, read the FAQ link and rules on posting. I only say this because you'll get a lot more hits and crits if you post images instead of links. But I did look at them and you've got some nice works. Solid line work and hatching. That self portrait is too much *chuckle*...very Jesus-like. I want to see that Valkyrie finished.

Piranha Clan is offline Unscarred by trials...a new level... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that I posted my first comment, I'm seeing images instead of links, so my bad. I guess it took a minute for the forum to catch up.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Davicho, I changed your URL tags to IMG tags so that the pics show up inline, not as links. I don't know why the first one isn't working, though. You can also attach images directly here rather than remote linking.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to get the first one to show up, don't know if I was successful.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're on your way I'd say. You've got some catching up to do to be competetive soon, but it's nothing a good amount of hard work can't fix!

Fist off I'm seeing one problem that could slow you down; your way of looking at things. It's most evident in your self portrait. I doubt your nose is that small, or your eyes can look in different directions. the problem is that you're drawing what you think you see, not what you actually see. When you look at an eye, don't say "well I know what an eye looks like, so I'll draw it" instead look at the different lines, shapes made of shadow etc that make up the structure of the eye. Always take a second look and see which way a line is leaning.

Measure things with your eye. Take a look at how large an eye is, and compare that size with how far it is from the ear to the eye, how far the length of the nose runs compared to the width of an eyebrow. By measuring and relating shapes with your eye, your reference work will be all that much more accurate. This is important for...

referenced/life studies! The end-all be-all suggestion around here. essentially, drawing things from life a lot = understanding how they look = able to reproduce them better from memory. This goes for people, animals, structures, scenes, lighting colour, you name it. The more you practice, the quicker you'll improve, the earlier you'll be able to make a living with art (and more importantly, at least to me, be able to express yourself fully without having to worry about why the things you draw don't look quite right)

On the plus side you seem to show considerable control over your pencil, and have nice clean lines. This will defenitely give you a leg up as far as studies go. Oh, and value means the lightness or darkness of an element, I think you meant "hue" with is the colour of an element

So, welcome to CA, draw a lot, and post em up so we can see how you do. For future reference, the critique center is usually reserved for a single piece that you wish to get some attention. For all your regular art dumps, make a sketchbook in the sketchbook section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments guys...and yeah it probably would have been wise to check the 'before posting' threads! Oh, well....

Also, thanks for fixing the thread....my fiance actually told me to post the images instead and I got all haughty taughty like "how would YOU know?"

Anyway, Rhineville you are absolutely right, that is something I really need to work on. Until I started school I'd NEVER tried to draw from reality, or even from reference really, and the comments on the self portrait are dead on. That self portrait and the shed drawing are my first 'life' drawings you could say...everything else is sans reference.

That said, I'll take the advice here and open up a sketchbook in that forums. Would it be kosher to just hightail this thread over there...or could I get a mod to possibly move it for me so I don't have dupe threads?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Presto.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some crazy swirly designs in your stuff, I liek it though.
    I have no fucking clue what a fennel is, but I do like the lines in it. The clouds in front of the moon in the drawing of your shed is really cool, but makes it look lame behind such a boring subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    75% of this drawing was referenced from DeVotchKa's 'Una Volta' CD:

Attempt at sketching Di Vinci's 'Cartoon of the Virgin with Saint Anne':

Self Portrait sketch:

Other odds and ends, sketches and random stuff:

Last edited by Davicho; March 19th, 2008 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun stuff to look over here Davicho! Keep it up! I can understand while your having troubles copying anatomy from books - your imagination runs so freely. Try getting the basics done of a figure (like, an arm) and then give it your own twist. You can be playful with anatomy, too.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsign View Post
    Fun stuff to look over here Davicho! Keep it up! I can understand while your having troubles copying anatomy from books - your imagination runs so freely. Try getting the basics done of a figure (like, an arm) and then give it your own twist. You can be playful with anatomy, too.
    Thanks for the comments everyone...Matsign, you're right about why I have these troubles. When I don't let myself inject some imagination, I don't draw at all...it becomes painfully boring. It is something I HAVE to do though, so I'll take your advise. Drawing a Bridgman torso as myself, instead of trying it as Bridgman may be a better route for me...I'll post my progress as I get my elbows in these books...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.