How to become faster?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy How to become faster?

I am a freelancer who creates comics for a weekly magazine..
    I have strict deadlines, but I rarely sent my work on time, which makes the publisher very upset..
    I really can't help it.. I want to draw, ink, color, create new stunning ideas in the shortest time possible while keeping the good quality + learning new art techniques..

I am the slow artist type, I thought about having some assistants, but I have some friends who work in the same magazine. They work alone with no assistants and they manage the deadline thing very well.. And for that, most of them got a raise, but I didn't..

Anyone here knows what it takes and what to do to become faster while still keeping the good art and ideas quality?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You become faster by not worrying about making mistakes, or getting caught up in the details.

It comes with confidence.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Confidence or Xanax, either works fine, helps you through the process without taking a mental halt.
    What Kirai needs is a schedule and restrictions.

- Learn those styles in your own time. If you still want to learn other styles but have no free time, hire an assistent.

- First make a draft with all those "stunning" ideas and see if you can't tell the story in a shorter, more explicit manner with fewer frames. If you're eating a sandwich, we don't need to see every bite to get the point.

- Analyze each shot in the draft and see if all those details in it are necessairy and don't take focus away from the main idea or dialogue. Look at what you can leave away and try to find a balance between what your editor accepts (not likes) and what is acceptable for you.

- In fact, just strip those personal preferences, they make you think too much instead of work.

Good luck with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I too, need to learn to be much faster with my drawing and sometimes the general work flow.

Like the above posters mentioned, don't get caught up in details. Organize your work, and plan for better work flow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    don't fret over every detail, thumbnail out scenes once you have the shots you like then work them up work them up in stages, use the minimum amount of detail that you need and only if you have time add more detail. become looser with your sketching. Ste yourself a time limit for each panel each sketch. If you have 5 hrs to finish something from start to finish work out how to use it most productively what part of the process takes the most time where are you wasting time.

I find I draw fast but my problem I'll surf the net spend ages on silly details that are not necessary- I working to get rid of these bad habits.

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for such great advices..
    They are very useful..
    I put them in my mind today and tryed to work thinking about them.. I felt that I got a bit faster and had more confidence indeed.. But of course I still need time to work on it..

Thank you all again..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I aloooooooooooot of time off my deadline work by working on a smaller canvas. Dont know how big you work for comics, but if you try working smaller, you might cut some time off since you dont have to worry about filling in so much surface area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by brianhamner View Post
    I aloooooooooooot of time off my deadline work by working on a smaller canvas. Dont know how big you work for comics, but if you try working smaller, you might cut some time off since you dont have to worry about filling in so much surface area.
    Thanks for the advice ^__^
    You have a point.. Drawing on smaller canvas is faster.. But on the other hand, You won't be able to draw the details, moreover, when you want to make it bigger to match the magazine pages size wich is about A4 in my case, the resolution of the page and the quality will get bad..

Also for me it won't make much difference since I ink and color digitally..

But anyway, I really appreciate the advice, I think I will follow it in sketching stage only.. I use the traditional media only in sketching..

Thanks a lot

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.