Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Thanks
    On the topic of yellows, does anyone know of a good( and possibly relatively cheap) alternative or look alike to " lead tin yellow" used by Vermeer?
    "A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    If you just want the hue, cad or arylide yellow plus white, with a little ochre to knock down the chroma.
    If you want the real thing (and don't mind the toxicity and expense), it's available here, among other places.
    Last edited by Elwell; August 4th, 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    "A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

Thanks
    this thread looks great, if anyone else needs some more information on how to oil paint i have a great How to oil paint blog

Thanks
    Any suggestions on the best solvent or "thinner" to use? I heard Turpenoid wasn't good and Turpentine is pretty harsh, is it ok to use just use basic oderless mineral spirits? What do you professional oil painters suggest? I heard if you pour a little on some white paper and it evaporates without any stain or residue that it is suitable for use in thinning oils. If anyone can shed some light it would be very helpful, thanks! I've used turpenoid in the past and didn't really have any problem with it but some people think it's the devil or something, also they say turpenoid natural isn't natural at all. I would like to hear some other opinions on this product. I guess because it has the word "Turp" in it. I actually know a very old painter and he uses straight up Turpentine Pure Gum Spirits. I'm sure a lot of people still do but It's all preference I assume. Seems like they all get the job done but I would prefer odorless and the less toxic.
    Last edited by stalsby; August 12th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Thanks
    You're right. It's mostly preference. You use thinner to thin your paints, clean your brushes or added to a medium to control the flow/consistency of your paint.

If you want odorless I'd go with Gamblin's Gamsol oborless mineral spirits. They're less harmful than most solvent due to their evaporation rate.

Nothing wrong with Turpenoid either. I've used it in my medium mixture along with Linseed Oil and Colbalt Dryer. Works fantastic.
    http://www.bfowler.com

Blog

Twitter

Available for work!

Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, I can use this one on my artwork project! Appreciate it much!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I nuked the spam that bumped this thread, but thought it could use a bump anyway.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks

Glazing medium recipe?

I am looking for a good, glazing medium recipe. It needs to dry within a few days before re-coating.
    I have used a few formulas (see below) and they all take longer than a week to get to a tacky-dry stage. Even after 6 months the surface is still tacky (not dry).

What I've used so far (without satisfaction):
    Linseed oil 50%, Turps 30%, Damar varnish 20%.
    Linseed oil 33%, Turps 33%, Damar varnish 33%.
    Linseed oil 30%, Turps 50%, Damar varnish 20%.

Please tell me a good recipe for a glazing medium.
    What can I do about an oil painting that just won't dry (after 6 months)?

Thanks
    Hey Peter!

Unfortunately I do not know much about the oil mixtures to dry the paint. I use Linseed Oil, Turps, and Gloss Varnish. I would like to know more of what I should use to dry the paint as well.

Anyhow, here is a recent painting that I have done with oils. I took the picture with my phone, but I did want to share this piece with everyone.

Lotus of Wrath:
    The Big Oil-Painting Thread

Thanks for viewing this piece, and let me know what you think of it. I used Winton Oil Paints for this particular piece.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5