The Big Oil-Painting Thread
    my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    When I bought a small canvas to do some practice on in my local art shop, the woman in the shop said canvas was the way to go, I can't use paper. Also she recommended spirits or turpentine or whatever the swedish 'terpentin' translates into, instead of medium (although on this point shecould just have meant that it's fine for beginners..)

Does she not know what she is talking about, or is it just a matter of taste?

Also, could anybody describe more precisely what this frosted mylar is, so I can describe it to this person in swedish, as i don't think the english word will help me!

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus
    Thanks

Alkyds, super fast drying oils

This quite a good thread, some realy good advise. But theres no mention about Grythin Alkyds in here, basicly its a very fast drying oil paint supplied by WINSOR&NEWTON. I'm always supprised how many people have never hered of it, probably due to the fact that for some strange reason, most art shops don't stock it. So if you love using oil colours but dont like the long drying time, check them out. I've been an illustrator for 10 years, and they have never caused me any problems. If you want to use them for very fine detailed work, i recomend you try them out on watercolour board, the old CS2 not board, was perfect. Also try not priming your board as you normally do in oils, but i do advise you to put base colours down first, watercolour ar an opaque paint like gouage works best. Also Experiment with Acrylics as your base colour, this has the effect of slowing down the drying process for the Alkyds, very handy when doing detailed cloud work.

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus
    Thanks
    serpian its a matter of taste, for high detailed work and when you need a faster drying time, i always go for watercolour art board, but if im doing something with a lot less detail, such as portaiture, and where a customer like that traditional look, and has the strange idea that oils MUST be painted on canvas, then i'll choose canvas. Also beware of artshops telling you what is and what is not the best medium or materials to use, because at the end of the day, an art shop is a business and its there quite simply to make money, plus they don't always know everything. You could have the the so called best art kit in the world, but that doesnt mean your going to be the greatest artist that ever lived. Some of the best pieces of art i've seen was created with burnt pieces of wood, and some of the best skulptures i ever saw was made from sand.
    But to your answer about oils, use either turpentine or white spirits as a thinners for oil colours, i dont see any differance, though some purists may disagree with me here. Also check out linseed oil to mix in with your oils, this will give it extra fluidity and protection to your colours, especialy usefull if your glazing and you've used lots of turpintine to thin the paint. But basicly best advise i can give you is to experiment, and you'll soon discover whats good and whats not good for your particuler style.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpian View Post
    ...said canvas was the way to go, I can't use paper.
    Paper would be a good choice for practicing, certainly more convenient and less expensive than canvas. Use a thick high quality paper (100% rag, acid-free) it will hold up better than regular wood pulp paper.

...Also she recommended spirits or turpentine... instead of medium ...
    For what? If it's for cleaning, mineral spirits will do fine, but it's not the best thing to use for painting. Turpentine is wasted for just cleaning. When painting you don't want to dilute the paint too thin, even for the initial layer. I almost never dilute my oils, but when I do I add a small amount of extra medium as well. In most cases, all you really need is just the paint.

...Also, could anybody describe more precisely what this frosted mylar is...
    The company Grafix Plastics has information about mylar:
    http://grafixplastics.com/mylar_what.asp
    David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Thanks
    information is awesome. i picked up this book at a Half Price Bookstore and it also had some good information in it.
    Boston Splinter Cell 36
    Jushra | Purb36 | PartialArtist | Vorp | Kongni

Thanks
    What are the best colours to use in shadow areas of (European) flesh tone? I know that shadow areas should appear cooler as well as darker, but mixing blues and greys with browns and yellows often makes a mucky mess when I try it. I also have problems blending shadow areas into mid tones, which are naturally warmer. Any tips in this region? How do you portray shadow on a cheek, say, without it appearing to be smeared in dirt?
    (I normally arrive at flesh tone by mixing a bit of burnt umber with naples yellow and white but going into shadow is problematic)

Another question, any tips on painting particularly pale people? What colours to put in pale flesh, especially where it goes into shadow, and how can you make someone look pale but not spotlit or luminous?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    try burnt sienna instead of burnt umber; it's warmer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artlover View Post
    I've got a free 57 page tutorial on Oil Painting . . .
    “Do not spread butter with a palette knife.”

*rolling* . . .best. . . advice . . . ever!

Thanks for the link, Artlover. The first half is good standard supplies basics. The second half is on the creation of landscape paintings, and lays out a few guidelines that are rather along the lines of what Bob Ross would say. (Such as “with oil painting it is generally considered that we work from back to front and usually top to bottom,” or “a professional looking oil painting is one where the paint is thick and raised where it needs to be.”) I recommend against using any such formulas unless you really want to paint the exact same sorts of subject matter in exactly the same style.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I've removed Artlover's post (and Artlover, for that manner) as the whole thing strikes me as HIGHLY suspicious. An "I promise not to spam you" notice doesn't really cut it when you are asking for extensive personal information, and following the links eventually leads to a "make money with your art" scam. For those dying of curiosity, the same info can be found online here (for what it's worth) without having to give anyone your email etc.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanks for keeping this corner of the Wild West safe, sheriff Elwell.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanks for all this great advice guys! This thread is a lifesaver. I'm a total oil-painting n00b, but one thing I've heard from my painting teacher that I didn't notice in here is that you can use baby-oil as a solvent. He said that it keeps the brushes in better condition than turps and doesn't fume, which appears to work as far as I've tested it, my brushes have lasted far longer using baby oil than turps. If you don't wipe the oil off thoroughly enough though it makes the paint kind of greasy and it doesn't cling to the surface as well.
    I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

Thanks
    I would never use mineral oil, or any non-drying oil, during painting for fear of contamination and drying problems. Using it for end-of-session cleanup might be okay, but only if you follow up with a thorough soap and water wash.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    mineral oil or mineral spirits? (white spirit in france) we use mineral spirits for cleanup in the printshhop. Ive never used it on my oil brushes, which are over 30 years old (I inhereted them). i clean em with turp and dish detergent... period

to address the Frosted mylar question. Ive been using the inkjet "vellum" from staples to do quick studies on, its a fun surface and dries really fast. I don't know that I would do anything I really cared about on it as I really don't know anything about its stability over time. but the ones I painted as an experiment just Before the last WS (SFO) after reading Mr Whitakers advice, are still stable and un cracked... for what thats worth. Its inexpensive and doesn't need to be primed
    chaos
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Mineral spirits are fine. I was referring to FoxinShocks' mention of baby oil, which is mineral oil + perfume.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    mineral oil + perfume.
    Oh wow, I didn't even notice. The brand I have doesn't smell at all but appears to have fragrance in it maybe I just have no sense of smell...
    So you're saying I should use some other oil without added fragrance, or just go back to turps/spirits? as long as I wipe the brushes and don't use too much it seems to work ok. I haven't noticed any drying problems, the last couple of paintings I've done have dried in a day and a half, and it's not that warm here yet *shrug*.

I wouldn't mention it except that my teacher is a pro and says it works fine for him.
    Last edited by FoxinShocks; October 5th, 2007 at 03:32 AM.
    I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

Thanks
    Hey guys. I just started oil-painting, and this painting is my first oil painting on my own. All I used was a beginners' set by Daler-Rowney, pallete knife, and some 'low-odor thinner', also from DR.

I started with a sketch of the apple, then made an outline of it in paint, and then I mixed up some of the thinner with some burnt umber to make a value wash. Then I went it with red wash in there, then put some semi-opaque reds in there, and some yellows, and did a whole lot of pushing thinned out paint around, I guess that was my mistake, too much thinner...

Any tips for a beginner here?

It's on canvas primed with white acrylic paint, if that matters. I didn't have any gesso so I figured that would work fine.

Thanks
    Good. Now let it dry, and then get some paint on it. It's not watercolor, you know.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Good. Now let it dry, and then get some paint on it. It's not watercolor, you know.
    Will do sir

Thanks
    Looking good drd!

Thanks
    Thanks Seedling;

I made 2 more paintings since the first one is still wet, I don't know what will happen if I go into it anymore; I think I'll just keep painting until I feel more confident.

I am getting a small boost though, because these are some much better than my acrylic paintings. Oils feel even better than I thought they would.

And even though I know they suck, I keep telling myself to look at Seedling's Oil-painting-a-day thread, huge inspiration for me

So here's another 2; Pathetic, but whatever

Greatly appreciating anything helpful

EDIT: Also, sorry about the terrible image quality; There's a lot more green tinges in the background on the apple one and more blue on the kiwi, but my camera really sucks. I don't know how Seedling gets such clear pictures, and I can't scan wet paintings. =(

Thanks
    Not pathetic! Wonderful! Keep going. (And thanks for the compliment!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Not pathetic! Wonderful! Keep going. (And thanks for the compliment!)
    Not a problem.

And thanks very much Seedling, it means a lot to me

Thanks
    drd your elegance and grace is a fine tribute to the medium
    these are really nice

and ,as mr elwell said
    you are usingthem as watercolours to tint your matrix
    you need to think of them as more substantial
    I am also guilty of this (actually seedling mistook an oil of mine for a Watercolor not to long ago) Mr Hawthorne says (and ifyou haven;'t read hawthorne , you should . it more about thinking about paint than instructions on how to paint) that you should be extravagant in your paint use, little spots of color make little paintings. he reminescese about his classes and going around to his students and splorching out great worms of paint....
    I know its expensive
    but,,,

with great courage,,,comes great art

chaos
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks View Post
    drd your elegance and grace is a fine tribute to the medium
    these are really nice

and ,as mr elwell said
    you are usingthem as watercolours to tint your matrix
    you need to think of them as more substantial
    I am also guilty of this (actually seedling mistook an oil of mine for a Watercolor not to long ago) Mr Hawthorne says (and ifyou haven;'t read hawthorne , you should . it more about thinking about paint than instructions on how to paint) that you should be extravagant in your paint use, little spots of color make little paintings. he reminescese about his classes and going around to his students and splorching out great worms of paint....
    I know its expensive
    but,,,

with great courage,,,comes great art

chaos

Thank you so much for that post
    It was very informative;
    I'll definitely check out Hawthorne

By the way, what do you guys think of Harold Speed? I've heard a lot about him and I've heard about some of his books on oil painting, what are they like, if any of you have them?

Thanks
    Speed is EXCELLENT, but can be tough going for a beginner. His writing style is dated (lots of complicated sentences with many sub-clauses), as is much of the technical material about pigments, mediums, etc. Never the less, there's so much good stuff in his books, and the Dover editions are so cheap, that they're worth picking up. They're the sort of books that you can keep going back to as your knowledge increases and always find something new.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Agreed with Elwell wholeheartedly. They will serve you well right from being a beginner all the way up to being a professional. For me however, his writing style is marvellous. Throws you right back to a time when the English language was used so elegantly. None of this shorthand txt spk to start fouling the prose.

Thanks
    elwelll ... a very good simulation of the writing style in question... made me laugh

I only write like that when Im irritated.

Schmid is ok, also very dated... theres been a big surge of interest inthe allaPrima book. also nearly any thread here on CA with William WHitaker in it it full of great advice. But I would also advocate that you don't get too tied up in technique and reading about it etc.. Just get in there and PAINT!

<takes own advice
    chaos

Sketch book

Thanks
    Alright, oil number 4...I like it better than my others, any crits? I know I made the reflected light way too large...

Thanks
    my pleinair set up. just for amusement.....
    yes those are brushes in my hair... yes they are wet
    and yes thats my attendant art critic Roxie the Corgi
    The Big Oil-Painting Thread

drd- working a still life over the same color BG is difficult to get value I know you are working with color, but color has value (light and dark) as well as Hue and intensity (also called saturation). your colors are super saturated but nearly all the same value. Just to see this, you can tak eyou photo of you image and put it in greyscale

Sketch book

32. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast