Sketchbook: CecelyV's Sketchbook (Updated 6/16/10) - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: CecelyV's Sketchbook (Updated 6/16/10)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP of my last study using wooden models...at least for a while anyway. Next up is more still life work and a self-portrait in traditional oils.

First things first...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Only Way Out, Is Through.

Sketchbook Journeys
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest WIP of my grouped wooden models study....a family member passed away last week, so I haven't gotten quite so much done lately. Anyway, I'm almost done, and then when I get back in to town after the funeral I can get started on my self-portrait and another still life.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post And Now Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Programming...

I'm so glad to be home and back to my routine...wasn't able to draw while I was visiting family cuz....well, I was visiting and celebrating a life. Anyway, after taking Chris Hatala's class, I realized that I'd slightly lost some of my focus. I needed to work on light, shade, and shadow, and I am happy with the studies I've done. However, now that I've completed my initial basic studies there, I need to refocus on my ultimate goal which is character design, and studying other things, like perspective, through that vein.

So, to that end, I've completed this last still life w/ wooden models. Now I'm on to my self-portrait, and also quick gestures from which I will do another character. Here goes ^_^

Thanks to all the great artists and staff at CA for this site and all the great classes!

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Gestures

Oh, it felt so good to get back to the human figure ^_^ I've worked solely on gesture drawing since Chris Hatala's class, and I'm going to keep going with this to follow his advice. Thanks again for the great classes, MB/CA!

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More gestures...

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

And yet more gestures...90 sec poses...

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. Watch your proportions and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Alicia! I will. I kind of hurt my neck on Tuesday, so that's why it's been a few days since I've posted. More to come this weekend though. Thanks for looking in on my SB ^_^ Yours is my next stop today.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was out of commission for a while with a bad cold...completely shot my paycheck for last week to hell, and my head was too fuzzy to draw...then there was all the sneezing...

I'm hoping my schedule stays nice and unchanged for the rest of the year...no surprises that throw me off, they're getting annoying now...

Anyway, here's some more gestures. 60 and 90 sec poses from refs.
    Happy drawing everyone!

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's gestures (from figure ref book)
    It'd be nice if there were some ref books with people who weren't the same general body type--you don't get many elderly, overweight, funny shaped or minority models in these things, at least not that I've found so far. Good thing we're all basically built the same, gives us a starting point ^_^

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!. I just checked your first and last pages, and there's definitely quite a lot of difference. I love this kind of stuff, when you can tell how someone has improved!.

I see you are doing also a lot of body studies. Good luck with that!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mik2121 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice job! doing much better me sees.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to donm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Thank you Mik2121 and Jagmed ^_^
    I appreciate all comments and crits; they help me know I'm going in the right direction, and that's really important.

I do feel like I'm improving. I think I'm really finally getting my time management down and focusing on the right things, and, most importantly for the time I have available, focusing on one thing at a time and not trying to do too much at once.

I've been focusing only on the torso in my gesture studies, and I've been reading Hogarth. He puts the order of drawing gestures as 1. Torso 2. Legs 3. Arms 4. Head. I'm going to channel my studies that way. I can already tell it's helping, too. I feel like the more I draw and focus on the torso, the more I understand it. So far I'm keeping myself to 60 and 90 second studies; Chris Hatala was talking about the importance of the gesture/pose in his streaming class, and he said gesture drawing shouldn't be more than 2-5 minutes. So with that inspiration, I take my ref books and my timer and draw.

I'd love to draw from life more, but time doesn't really allow it right now I'll have to wait until about next summer when I can do this full time ^_^

Thanks again you guys for your comments, I appreciate it. Jagmed, I'll hit your SB next.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More gestures, and I've started mixing in some silhouettes that I'll post in a bit (from the same refs I use for the gestures).

It's interesting to discover that models who aren't lean and muscular are much more challenging to draw. It's fun to learn about how skin folds or how the shape of the hip bone changes slightly when there is more body fat present. I find the drawings I did of a model with more body fat a bit more interesting than the drawings of slim models...they seem more...I don't know, just "more", if that makes sense I guess the word is character...more character, more interesting forms.

I think I'll spend some time searching out more varied models to draw from. If anyone has any suggestions on that, please let me know I'd really appreciate it.

PS: Has anyone ever had an issue with their SB thread not appearing to be updated on their User CP or the main SB thread?

Last edited by CecelyV; October 21st, 2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: darn images didn't upload...

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First round of silhouettes...I'm only happy with the first one. I need to choose better poses so the silhouettes read better, plus I need more practice. Anyway, it's very helpful in seeing the overall form and how everything works together and with the negative vs. positive space. I'm going through the Dynamic Light & Shade book by Hogarth for these exercises--very good book, highly recommend it. I like to read the books, and then go through each section again with sketches.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More gestures...dual figures presented some interesting forms and problems for me. I wasn't seeing the forms or proportions as well today...More practice!

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Technical Difficulties

Just wanted to drop a quick update here about some technical glitches I'm having with my SB. Whenever I post here I change the "updated 10/21/09" to the date of the new posts I'm putting up--however, for some reason my very first post was mysteriously deleted and I can't get to this field to update it.

I'll continue to post my work here of course, but until this is fixed (if it can be fixed) my thread will keep saying "Updated 10/21/09". I've e-mailed Davi about this, hopefully it can be resolved soon. If it can't be fixed, I may consider just starting a new SB thread or asking to have a moderator edit the thread name.

Thanks to everyone who visits my SB! I appreciate the views, comments and crits. ^_^

Happy Drawing

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up All Fixed ^_^

Bye bye technical glitches--Thanks, Davi!

In case anyone else has a similar issue, logging out and then logging back has fixed the problem in my case. I think the cookies needed clearing.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more gestures and silhouettes. Freakishly muscled people are almost as difficult to draw as people with more body fat, interestingly enough. I think I was getting too caught up in all the details presented by this model's many huge muscles--I seriously don't think this guys has any body fat...

I counted the gestures I've done so far out of curiosity, and the count is at about 120 gestures (all focusing on the torso), and it's helping a lot. When I get to 250, I'll put all the practice to use by trying some things from imagination with a focus on the torso...like a character design ^_^

I felt more comfortable on the silhouettes today. Still need a lot more practice, but it's coming along.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

More silhouettes today. I really don't know what I'm doing in this area...I'm so used to drawing with line first that I have to make myself work with a larger brush so that I do forms/shapes instead when I do these silhouettes.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but I'll just keep at it until it starts to feel right ^_^ I probably need to increase the brush size a bit more, and focus even more on making myself see and draw in shapes rather than lines.

I know my proportions suffer when I do silhouettes, but I'm not sure what to do about it. My inclination is to go back to contours, but that should probably be something I do at the end after I've gotten all the shapes in--General to the specific and all that ^_^

Couldn't do as much today cuz of craziness at my day job, but I still got in a good bit so I can sleep easy ^_^ No missed studio days for nearly two weeks now!

Now I need sleep...

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More silhouettes today. I'm still not sure if I'm doing them right, as far as the process, but it's starting to feel better. I did a mix of shapes and contours today and that helped me see better.

Work's been nuts, and probably will be for a few more weeks yet. So far I've been able to keep it from messing with my studio time though

Now I need sleep...

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More silhouettes. Happy Halloween ^_^

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And yet more silhouettes ^_^
    They're not as smooth looking as some silhouettes I've seen from other artists, but I'm hitting the poses pretty well...and my proportions are getting better. For some reason it just doesn't feel natural trying to draw without lines, but I like a challenge

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More silhouettes, but I'm starting to introduce some blocks of light. I was initially going for minimal light...but I got a little carried away

I'm happy with the first, but not the second silhouette here. I think the first came out better because I wasn't thinking too hard about what I was doing...
    I got some good tips on silhouettes from Davi, so I'll be working from those as well. Thanks, Davi!

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the direction of the latter silhouettes, as all the anatomical parts flow together into a whole.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ASVogel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff. Keep working out those figures. Study some master painters. I would also say draw outside. Get some outside the class room life drawing in. Here are some links to check out.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...f=199&t=298699
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...593#post839593
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59125
    keep up the good stuff.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to IronFistGoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Thanks ^_^

AikidoAl: Thanks for your comments and for stopping in to my SB ^_^
    I felt like I grew a bit in that latest session with silhouettes. I'd still like to get better working with them--figure out to how get them more crisp and clean, better proportioned--but I feel like I'm on the right track.

I find silhouettes much more difficult than drawing with line, which is probably a good thing because it means I need to work on it. It helps to make yourself work with a really large brush size, that way you can't revert to line work ^_^ Working with silhouettes is a great way to figure out your lighting, too. It helps to be able to see that without all the details (texture, color, line, etc) complicating your view of the overall light source(s).

IronFistGoon: Thanks for all the awesome links and your comments! Thanks for stopping by my SB, too. I appreciate all the comments and crits I get. I'll definitely be contributing to the Sketchathon on CG Society, thanks for sharing that. I would love to do some outside life drawing, the only problem is working it in. Time is at a premium in my schedule right now, but you've inspired me to try getting outside life drawing at least a couple of times a month--I mean, outside life drawing doesn't mean only drawing people so I should be able to work it in. Thanks again!

Last edited by CecelyV; November 6th, 2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: one more thing...

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

More silhouettes with light blocked in. I'm digging these exercises ^_^ They really help me see the light and shadow values better. I just need to work at not trying to get too detailed too soon...we all have our little things

I wanted to more today, but sadly I'm very sore which is making me very sleepy ...MT & BJJ are fun, but they can be rough ^_^

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't posted in a while because I've been a bit under the weather...stupid allergies...
    As expected after not having drawn for a few days, everything felt all wrong and stiff...I hate that. My gestures came out okay considering, but I think today's silhouette is crap..which is fine, but still
    I should be back to normal soon

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Let's try this again...

Okay...Now I'm feeling more like myself...Freakin' allergies, man...
    Oh well, not much I can do about it but medicate ^_^

Here are a few gestures I did today. Also started a WIP for something from imagination, but I'm feeling superstitious so I'm not posting that just yet...want to get it a bit farther along, see how my process goes.

Thank you to everyone who stops in on my SB, I appreciate it
    Happy Drawing everyone

Sketchbook Journeys

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.