Sketchbook: CecelyV's Sketchbook (Updated 6/16/10) - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: CecelyV's Sketchbook (Updated 6/16/10)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post figure doodles

I took one of the tips from Mike, Helioth and Borto on Ventrilo and started doodling at my day job as much as I could. I was surpised that I was able to fill a page pretty well
    It helped keep me more sane throughout the day--but the flip side of that was I was more anxious to get home and get in my studio, so the last two hours dragged by

They're all from imagination so it's all really rough and out of proportion...but it felt awesome, so I'm happy

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Only Way Out, Is Through.

Sketchbook Journeys
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Shoulder studies

Took your suggestion, Rez, and did some details studies. I also spent some time today identifying my weaker areas regarding the figure. There's the normal stuff: head/face, hands, feet...but I also have trouble with the joints/connectors on the body: shoulders, neck, elbows, hips, knees, ankles.

I started with the shoulders today.

Last edited by CecelyV; April 8th, 2008 at 08:51 AM.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Slow art day doodles

Had way too many errands to take care of after work today, so I wasn't able to work for very long at all. It's doodles today. I should have more time the rest of this week, though.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Shoulder study III

More detailed anatomy study. It was interesting to study how the muscles and bones of the back, arms and shoulders change when the arms are raised.
    I still have to get into the muscles, it's on my project list

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good Ces, try to gather idea's in your creations. Look at things that inspire you to draw and gain ideas from them. Than sketch them out real quick and work on it as a project.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ResidentSamurai357 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rez,
    that sounds like a good idea. One of the sketchbook doodles I did, the one with the fat man and the alien girl face, was inspired by a face I saw in a linoleum design in a bathroom here at work. You know, like how you can see shapes in the clouds? Same thing.
    Thanks for checking in with my progress, and Thanks for your help I really appreciate it

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you should draw more concrete jungles

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, there's some serious improvement in here since last time I visited - well done! Those short pose studies has really helped you a lot, and as other people have already mentioned I would also love to see some more detailed work. Put together all those anatomy and pose studies you have practiced so far, join them at the hip, and I'm positive you can do something awsome out from it! Be especially aware of your values, as I've seen that is still something you have problems with. What you did with that spine-butterfly image was a good thing, I would recommend more of that sort.

Small tip on the spine-butterfly image: blur out the tree/plant thingie she is sitting on at the edges of the canvas, to put more focus on the creature. Also, you could try darkening the background around her a bit, so the greatest difference between dark and light will be ON the creature, not on the tree/plant. That way the viewer will automatically focus on the creature first, not on what's around her.

All in all, amazing improvement! You certainly have a dedication that I sometimes feel I lack - keep going!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonSnail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm I was expecting to see lots and lots of studies and figure drawing's this weekend? I wonder what happened? =[

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSamurai357 View Post
    Hmm I was expecting to see lots and lots of studies and figure drawing's this weekend? I wonder what happened? =[
    Hey Rez,

I couldn't find time to be in my studio over the weekend, unfortunately. My husband and I had a lot of house and yard work to do that we'd been putting off--lots of dust and built up mess to clean up, plus mowing and so on.
    It's done, so my time should be more freed up on the weekends for a while.

This is exactly why it's difficult to have a day job and try to do my artwork part time--I have to be at my stupid day job so much through the week that almost all of our errands and chores have to packed into a two day weekend along with my studio time and the distant memory of rest

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post More shoulder studies

Greetings all

Here are some more shoulder studies. I'm nearly finished with my study of the shoulders--at least for the moment, anyway. I'm going to move on the the next area I have trouble with--elbows.

Crits and suggestions are welcome and appreciated, of course ^_^

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Even more shoulder studies

Studies of shoulder bones, plus a doodle.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oi, its great that you do lots of anatomy studies, just be sure to remember the shapes of the body and where they go,which it seems as though you need to work on. Another thing is how you say that you finished with studying with a area of the body such as the shoulders. But as stated before you should show something that shows it and not just a study. Also for your imagination drawing, you need to spend as much time that you do for your studys. Just find a way to balance things out such as a study, then something from imagination that compliments the study that you just did.

But the most important thing is that you find time to draw. Draw as much as you can, only then will you see your results, and the more you do it the faster the improvements will improve.

Also noticed that your faces need work, an easy way to work on this is just to do self portraits.

But keep it up and try to get more time for art in, you will really see a big improvement.

-AM

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=113536 Feel free to critique, would be greatly appreciated.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Marks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Torso practice

Practiced the torso a bit today. It was interesting to see just how little movement we actually use and have available in that area--most people can't bend too far in any one direction except forward. Just doing the torso apart from the arms, legs and head helps me to see the whole better. Odd that by leaving parts out you can see their roles in a new way.

These are some simple torso studies; I worked to capture the gesture of only the torso. I also did a couple of studies of the scapula. I don't feel I get too much out of my bone studies at this point, but I'll continue to do those general bone and muscle studies so that I keep the whole picture in mind when I draw.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Blah! Damn technical difficulties! I tried to post some work last night but CA was down for the count for some reason. I'll post more tonight when I get home--hopefully CA won't be down again.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post More torso practice

Some practice with male and female torsos over the past couple of days. I'm focusing on seeing the line of the pose, the shapes and the proportions right now. In another day or so I'll be moving on to longer, more detailed studies of the torso.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last update is looking good Ces, lol but no need to draw in the extremities, you remind me of my silly professor who draws the penis with extreme detail haha.. My suggestion now would to find a group of artist you know or admire and start a draw night. I started one here in Northglen Colorado and it has helped my skills a whole lot. Drawing with your fellow artists can be an inspiration and a learning experience!

Wish you the best!

~ Rez

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ResidentSamurai357 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit Rez. Yeah, I do plan on finding other artists in my area to get together with, but it may be another year or so before I can do anything really involved in that area. Between my studio time, my day job, my marriage, and helping to run our household, I barely find enough time to get enough sleep--socializing outside the web and family isn't making the top of my list right now

But it's cool; I'm enjoying my work and my life is good, so no complaints. I hope your work is going well, too.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work! just try not to get stuck in a rut of doing just contour drawings. also, try to remeber that although there are different parts of the body, it's still all one mass so try to avoid making your people look can-ish or block-ish

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignominious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, nice colors and very good imagination you got there. just keep drawing everyday and you will get somewhere with it. its also good that you didnt give it up, id give you a high five for that. as for your drawings and critiques go for, just get some of the darks dark and the lights light, that way you can tell what object is behind or up close. if you gets what im saying then your all set man. just keep practicing and ill check up on ya. Best of luck man

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

26. The Following User Says Thank You to l0stinth0ughts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Some more torso practice

l0stinth0ughts - Thanks for checking out my sketchbook, for the crits and the encouragement, I appreciate it. I stopped by your sketchbook. I haven't been through the whole thing yet, but I'll comment once I do.

Ignominious - Thanks for your crit and for looking at my sb, I appreciate all the help I can get. I agree with you about the contours and the can-ish/block-ish look. The past few sessions in my studio have been dedicated to only seeing and drawing the shapes and the long line of the pose, then fleshing out the form lightly--but only with contour, again, to focus on the shape. I've done it this way so I don't get too caught up in the details and the finished product, as has been my habit. I'm breaking everything down into its simplest forms so I can see the foundations. That way, when I begin my detailed studies tomorrow, I will understand what I'm seeing better--and therefore draw it better.

I'm teaching myself all of this, and I know there's no one right way, but I don't always know what I'm doing. In fact, I often feel like I don't know what I'm doing. But, this direction feels good so I'm going with it. I'm taking the advice I've gotten from everyone and incorporating what works for me into my studio sessions.

Here are the last of my shape studies before I begin my detailed drawings. Sorry I haven't posted much the past few days, I haven't felt like myself.

Thanks again for the crits everyone

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Detailed torso study WIP

Started my detailed torso studies today. I decided to make it more interested by giving it a collage look. Haven't gotten all the figures sketched in yet--the large one in the middle gave me some trouble...

Also posted an older piece, a still life I did when I was in college. Sorry for the streaks/scratches on it, the frame it's in doesn't photograph well. I'll have to take it out when I want to take some better photographs.

Had some trouble with my file sizing...but you get the idea

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow what happened did you give up? =/ Your letting yourself slip away... Your getting better, now you just have to draw everyday. The famous "draw draw draw"!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up I will never give up

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSamurai357 View Post
    wow what happened did you give up? =/ Your letting yourself slip away... Your getting better, now you just have to draw everyday. The famous "draw draw draw"!
    Hey Res,

No, I haven't given up. Thanks for checking in with me. I've been waging an internal battle with myself lately, and I wasn't doing very well the past few days. It's a process, but I'm doing better now. I'm finding that fighting with myself is the hardest war to win. Luckily, I'm too stubborn about getting what I want to lose

I've cleared my plate to make things easier for myself--I through the gym in the backseat so all I have to do is come home and work in my studio.

I really appreciate you looking in on my sketchbook to see how my work is going; it gives me a great boost everytime
    I haven't given up. I'll never give up. I may stumble every now and again, but I will never give up.

Thanks Res.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Still here :^^:

Sorry for the drop off in posting, I was taking some time to figure stuff out. I've still been working though. Here's the latest WIP from my detailed torso study. I'm happy to report my new schedule is working. I've worked 2.5 hrs today, and I've still got another 1/2 hour to go

I think I made the figure I've added value to a bit too dark, but I'm still getting some good practice in so it's all good.

Last edited by CecelyV; May 10th, 2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: At model's request, I will not show his face.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Doodle dump & more

Another completed figure on my torso detail drawing, plus some figure doodles I've done from imagination at work. The doodles are very rough and all contour because I literally have to steal away time at my current day job to work in my sketchbook...but, I figure practice with the shapes of the figure, contour or otherwise, whenever I can get it is awesome.

Plus, I'm trying to draw from imagination along with my studies anyway so it's win win.

Question: Can someone tell me how you are able to write descriptions between images you post?

Last edited by CecelyV; May 10th, 2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: At model's request, I will not show his face.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Torso detail study WIP

More work on my torso detail study.

Last edited by CecelyV; May 10th, 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: At model's request, I will not show his face.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your coming along there girl! Like the hard shading you have in the Middle image. I suggest working with another pencil or more mediums, such as different grades of pencils, try working with pens as well they seem to be fun.

Seems to me your well on your way, keep it up.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ResidentSamurai357 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Torso detail study WIP

Another figure done.

Last edited by CecelyV; May 10th, 2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: At model's request, I wil not show his face.

Sketchbook Journeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Another torso detail WIP

Had some problems with this figure...my ref wasn't very good--well, the ref is fine but the printout of the ref...not so much. I have to respect the wishes of my male model and remove his head digitally when I post. I don't want to cause any problems for him since he was nice enough to pose for me.

Just imagine whatever kind of male head you'd like in the empty spaces

Last edited by CecelyV; May 11th, 2008 at 10:47 PM.

Sketchbook Journeys

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.